• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon Gastric Balloon Information/Chat

Hi Guys, :welcome::talk017:

I have been doing extensive research into the Gastric Balloon over the past month or so as i am very interested in having the procedure. I thought it may be helpful to anyone interested in this procedure to have this thread as there is very little on this website forum and on the internet in general. First i will tell you a bit about my story then i shall go into the ins and outs of the balloon itself the different types, the clinics that offer this procedure and costs.

So Firstly,
I am a 23 yearold woman called Shell and i live in Bedfordshire. I am 16 stone (eek dont like admitting that often) and am 5.5 so have a bmi of 37. My weight crept on during pregnancy (4 stone) and over the past 3 years since giving birth i have put on another 2 stone :(
I have tried the usual diets with some weightlosses but to no avail have they worked. I have a slight lack of willpower combined with laziness,but i know what it feels like to be a slim and sexy size 10/12 (i have a curvy figure,Kim Kardashian in my dreams!!) so i think once i loose a considerable amount of weight i WILL NOT go back to being fat and overweight. I am so unhappy at the moment and it is affecting my life, my studies and my ability to be a fun loving mummy, i dont ever take my son swimming instead i pack him off with my boyfriend and my sister or his grandparents, and i want to take him swimming and see his face light up. there are many other things that restrict me too, i am sooooo ready to change my life for the better.

I looked into the Gastric Balloon about a month ago and am going to the clinic tomorrow for a consultation with the dietician, so hopefully i will have the procedure very very soon.

So now i shall explain all about the Gastric Balloon, i shall then explain the pros and cons, and why i think it is suitable for me, and why it may not be suitable for other people. I would love other peoples feedback on my post and comments,questions, advice,anything!!

Gastric Balloon Facts!!:553:
Ok so this is what i believe to be true about the gastric balloon, i have used official sites for information and have seeked a professional opinion which has helped formed my view on the balloon.

1. What is the Gastric Balloon
The gastric balloon is a minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure that may be performed in 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the patient to be discharged approximately 2 hours later when they have fully recovered, unlike gastric bands/bypass which can be classed as major surgery and involves at least a one night stay in hospital and longer recovery time.
There are currently two types of Gastric Balloon on the market. First is the Orbera Balloon, which was created some time ago and has been quite successful but it has faults which i shall explain later. This balloon is inserted for 6 months and is NOT adjustable. This balloon is offered widely around the world and in many clinics across the UK. It estimates a weight loss of between 2-3stones.
The 2nd option is the relatively new Spatz Balloon, which is a 12month adustable balloon. The two main differences are that it can stay in for a longer period of 12 months and the 2nd more important feature is that it is adjustable meaning that saline can be reduced or increased depending on need, e.g after 5months weightloss may decrease so saline can be filled into the balloon to kickstart weight loss. Estimated weightloss for this balloon is 5-6stones!!:talk017:

2 How is it inserted?
The procedure involves a surgeon inserting a deflated soft, silicone balloon through the mouth into the stomach during an endoscopy procedure under mild sedation. (i have been informed that this mild sedation is very effective and patients dont remember a thing).The balloon is then filled with sterile saline to partially fill the stomach and give the patient a feeling of fullness, leaving less room for food.

3. Cost
Ok so the cost varies from clinic to clinic and depending on which balloon you pick, prices start from about £3000 to a maximum of £5000. I think you will find that clinics abroad in Europe offer cheaper packages however they only offer packages for the 6month Orbera balloon (as far as im aware i havent seen any european clinics offer the new balloon however i'm sure this will soon change). to be honest i dont have a huge amount of information on going abroad for procedure as i am not interested in that route so have little info on it.
Uk prices vary from clinic to clinic also. The 12 month balloon is currently only offered at two clinics in the UK.
1. Nucleus Healthcare
Gastric Balloon | Gastric Balloon Treatment | Nucleus Healthcare
If you call Nucleus they give lots of information over the phone and will send you an information pack (they do not drive sales so you wont recieve countless calls or brochures)
The cost for the 6month balloon is around £3950 and the 12month balloon is £4950. Nucleus do offer a 1,2 or 3 year 0% interest finance plan (which i intend to take advantage of). This does involve a credit check and i have been advised that they use Experian to do checks and you need a very high score of over 850 with no adverse credit.if successful you can pay monthly via direct debit and payments would be:
1 year = £412.50 per month
2 years = £206.25 per month
3 years = £137.50 per month
Nucleus is a Private Gastroenterology Hospital based in Newport, South Wales. I am personally going with this company after doing lots of research and finding that they are very helpful and sympathetic, plus the finance package really appeals to me!!

2. Healthier Weight
Gastric Band Surgery, Obesity Surgery & Weight Loss Programmes from UK Weight Loss Clinic - Healthier Weight
This company offers both balloons and also have a finance plan but it is slightly different, they charge £4999 for the 12 month balloon (and around £1000 less for the 6month balloon) and add £250 onto the price which then allows you to pay half before the procedure (about £2700) and then the rest in four monthly installments which is about £500 a month. This DOES NOT involve a credit check so may be good for someone with average or bad credit but has some money soare and can afford the monthly payments. You can call them and get more indepth info though, they send out an info pack with all info and they are very helpful. They are based in London, Birmingham (Head Office), Manchester, Cardiff, Southampton & Italy.

4. Pros, Cons & Comparisons of Balloons
Ok so this again is my insight to pros and cons, this may vary with other people.

Pros of Balloon.
  • Non invasive procedure
  • Removeable - short term (6 or 12 months)
  • Adjustable (12 month Spatz balloon only!!)meaning if you do reach a plateau, you can go back to the clinic free of charge (included in the price) and have the balloon filled with more saline making less room in your stomach and will give you a kickstart to your weightloss.
  • Helps you change your liefstyle and change your mindset on food and helps educate your stomach to portion sizes etc
  • Ability to lose a substancial amount of weight in a short period of time
  • Orbera balloon has lots of clinical data which may appeal to wary patients
Cons -
  • Removable - some people may need something more permanent but this is a personal decision that needs to be made, you need to think whether you will be able to maintain your new slim sexy body after it is removed!!
  • Orbera Balloon is not adjustable and i have seen reports that weightloss slows down around the 3-4month stage which can be quite disheartening for patients. I think this is ultimately the reason why the spatz Balloon was developed and will eventually replace the 6 month balloon altogether, or they will develop a 6 month adjustable balloon.
  • Spatz balloon is very new on the market so hasnt had much clinical audit data or research attached to it. However from my research it seems like a great alternative to the Orbera balloon and my way of thinking is that it wouldnt be used in the UK if it wasnt a good product.:)
5. My personal view and reason why i have chosen the 12 month Spaztz Band!!:p

I have chosen the 12 month Spatz adjustable balloon as i think i need the 12month balloon to lose my goal of 5-6stones. i think the balloon will help me get down to my goal weight of 10stone and will help me retrain my stomach to knowing just how little it takes to fill up and make me feel full. I know what it feels like to be slim and i am very sure that once i have lost a few stones and can fit back into some of my old clothes i will be more and more inspired to lose weight and to move forward with excercise. I am ready to change my eating habits, i dont think i have an emotional problem food like many overweight people can do. i am in no way in denial about the reasons to my weight gain. i ate WAY too much during my pregnancy, mainly by having takeaways, going out for meals and drinking countless cans of coke!! so i know exactly what to cut out, and the balloon will help me with this as it will make me feel full after only small amounts of food. I know that i can go without these as i dont particularly crave them,i do obviously enjoy treats but i am completely aware of what is good and bad for you. The balloon is a good solution as i dont like the more drastic procedure such as the band,bypass or sleeve. they are great for other people personally i think the balloon is great for me.

So thats my guide to the Gastric Balloon i hope it has been helpful to those who are interested. Please feel free to comment xx:thankyou:

hippychick62

I will be watching this with interest. I have read up on the balloon and read lots of negative stuff about it, but the new one that can be in place for 12 months and also adjusted sounds good. I need to lose between 5 and 6 stone, so a year would be ideal for me.
Keep us updated on how you get on. I may be requesting this for my (BIG) birthday next year instead of a trip to Vegas :D

Hi hippychick 62, i will let you know how i get on after my consultation with the dietician and finance application tomorrow. fingers crossed all goes well!!
There are lots of negative things about the 6month balloon because of the plateau at around the 3-4month mark which understandably must be very frustrating for patients that pay a lot of money for it to just stop working as effectively after half the time, however people do seem to lose around 2stones and it does give a total estimated weight loss of 2-3stones.
the new Spatz balloon was launched earlier on this year i think so not many people have had it but ones that have had it done have had huge success so im happy to go for that option and the cost is only just a bit more and you get double the time and the adjustability which is a great feature.

xx

Hi All, i return with excellent news!! i got accepted for credit and am having the procedure done next wednesday 21st September!! i'm extremely excited and happy! especially that its going ahead so quickly i really cannot wait. will update soon x

Nicola1

on my way
Great to have someone here having the same thing as me, the competitive side of me seems to have kicked in to try and prevent you from overtaking me on the losers bench!!! Pmsl

Chuffy_29

Hi i'm really interested in your journey with this. If i do not get nhs funding a balloon is something i have been considering and the new adjustable balloon looks impressive. Keep us updated :)

heya chuffy yes i shall keep updating it on a weekly basis will aLSO update with weekly losses, nucleus do finance which is great xx

lins74

Hi all.
I'm having gastric balloon inserted on 3rd oct, and starting to get nervous! It's only the 6month version, as the 12month isn't available in Northern Ireland as yet. I really couldn't imagine myself on a flight just days after the insertion!, so reckoned I had no choice really.
It'll be great to read all your posts throughout.

:)
XX

Hello Lins74, good luck with the 6month one i hope it keeps going the full six months just remember to make the most of it for the beginning anyway and you should lose2-3stones!! keep us updated with your journey too xx

Nicola1

on my way
lins74 said:
Hi all.
I'm having gastric balloon inserted on 3rd oct, and starting to get nervous! It's only the 6month version, as the 12month isn't available in Northern Ireland as yet. I really couldn't imagine myself on a flight just days after the insertion!, so reckoned I had no choice really.
It'll be great to read all your posts throughout.

:)
XX

Hi, hope all goes well with the six month balloon, expect the vomiting as they put more saline in it to begin with for you to achieve the maximum weightloss, I have the Spatz balloon and have lost nearly 2stone in 2 months so hopefully you'll lose plenty, and it'll be long enough to retrain your mind in portion sizes, good luck x

lins74

Hi Guys
Thanks for your replies.
I really hope the 6month balloon works for me - I have to say I'm quite jealous of those of you who are having/have had the Spatz! Really wish I'd had that option. :mad:

Hope everyone's doing well.
x

Olenka

Hi guys,

I'm having my first consultation today with HW, want to get all the info about Spatz balloon. Sooo excited.
Will keep you posted.

Nicola1

on my way
Olenka said:
Hi guys,

I'm having my first consultation today with HW, want to get all the info about Spatz balloon. Sooo excited.
Will keep you posted.

Hope all went well with the consultation, let us know how you get on.
Good luck on your new beginning x

Olenka

A little bit dissapointed... They said I cant have the balloon, even the Spatz. The reson being that my BMI is 37,5 and most probably I would put the wight back on after its taken out. They say I am a perfect candidate for the band. I am considering it but need to collect some more money as it is 8000. Am feeling guilty that we are going to spend all of our savings on my operation and it is just because I cant stop eating!!

lins74

Hi Olenka
Sorry to hear your news. I'm going through obesitysurgerycentre.com. They are very optimistic about their balloons, and are great (so far), regarding support etc. Having it done on monday:eek:.

Maybe you could give them a ring & see what they say? Just a thought. :)
their no. is 0161 976 3846

All the best
Lins
x

Nicola1

on my way
Hi Olenka,
Can't understand why they declined to do the balloon for you as it is advertised for people with a bmi as little as 27.5 ( I only dream of having that as my bmi! ) I wonder if the price is swaying them to the band!!
I would have a second opinion and if they say the same then I'd considerate it
X

gero

Hello, I have been pondering about a gastric balloon, for a little while. I haven't had any consultations/quotes just been reading up on it when I feel down, this post has been really helpful.

I am 33, 5' 3" and weigh 13st 9, my BMI is 34. I don't know anything about gastric bands or sleeves so don't know if they are suitable, it was the balloon that caught my eye.

My only concern is what would happen to me after the 6/12 months I suppose? I am interested in hearing from people who have had the balloon removed now, the level of care/help received during & after etc.

The interest free credit also appeals to me.

I am interested to know if others think I am suitable etc. I want to lose 3 stone.

I had slimmed right down a few times, but its crept back both times, I've been at a slimming club for a few weeks now but it's just not shifting, it's like my body is immune. I now have an underactive thyroid and I hope that wouldn't affect it?

I suppose I need to contact a few companies now, I live in Birmingham and I expect there's a few doing it here.

rak

hi, thanks for taking the time to share your research. I found this really helpful. How is it going to date?