• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloons

saintsgirl

Hi! I'm new here. I'm seriously thinking about having a gastric balloon. Has anyone on here had one? or know how they work?

Where's the best place to go and have one? I've heard you can have them done in Prague

Hi Saintsgirl,

Just wanting to welcome you to mini's. I can't help you with the balloon because I had the band but there are a few people on here who had the balloon so hopefully they can give you some good advice.

Good luck :)

Alice xx

Hi there - welcome to mini's I can't help you with the balloon either I am afraid but look out for posts from twinlady and dragonkhan who have both recently had a balloon done. Hope that helps x

Hi there. The balloon is really only a temporary measure. They give you a local anaesthetic, insert the balloon down into the stomach via the throat and then inflate it. Takes maybe 20 mins. The inflated balloon apparently makes you feel fuller with less food but will have to come out after 6 months, then you're left to your own devices.

?

thanks. i still can't decide what to do. i got a couple of quotes from different clinics but how can you tell which one will be the best?

Hi Saintsgirl. Sorry I've been mia recently as work and kids have been manic! I had a gastric balloon fitted 6 weeks ago and I have lost 24 lb. I didn't want anything that was invasive or permanent and that is why I chose this. I did a lot of research into the clinics that offer the balloon and I chose to have mine done with the National Obesity Centre. They are among the most expensive but they offer a full plan including counselling for the 6 months that the balloon is in place and then for 6 months after which I think will be the hardest time. I have 5-6 stone to loose and it was the right choice for me. After the balloon was fitted I was only sick for a couple of days but did have really bad stomach cramps for 10-12 days. I am now feeling great and only am in pain if I over eat. The clinic have an eating plan which I am also following and not finding too restrictive.
If you want any more info or have questions then feel free to contact me.

Kxxx

Hi, I've just had my gastricballoon inserted - yesterday in fact, so i'm still feeling pretty lousy and a little sorry for myself to be honest :sigh:. I decided to have the balloon rather than any of the other options, purely because it was non surgical.
Unfortunately I can't really help in terms of the long term effects or how you'll feel (I think twinlady is best to answer that one), however, just thought I might reassure you when I say that the actual procedure went completely without a hitch and to be honest I have absolutely no recollection of them inserting the balloon at all.

Good luck with whatever option you choose.

gastric balloon!

I've been looking for a bit of a support network since having the balloon inserted just under two weeks ago and this seems the perfect place! I too had it done with national obesity surgery centre and i have to say they have been great, they are more expensive but everything is included and there are no hidden costs.
the insertion of the balloon was not as bad as expected, i went for the sedation (a true coward! lol) but they could have done anything and dont think i would have cared. can remember wretching a little otherwise nothing. The next three days were absolutley awful though, and as they all said i would, wanted to rip it out myself. the vomiting, cramps and heartburn was dreadful, and i could not keep even the smallest amount of water down, days four and five were just dealing with the uncomfortable feeling - for those who have had kids - it felt as when in late pregnancy the feet hook under the ribs! :eek:
I'm now 12 days post and feel great. still have wind (charming i know), and a little heartburn, dont need medication every day, am eating very little, cant digest any carbs tho, including fruit, and if i've drank too much liquid or eat a bit much then i still throw up, still learning!
my bmi was 28, and i weighed in today for first time today and am so happy to have lost 11lb so far, am estatic!:D

i'm sleeping better now, though still with three pillows!! burping has subsided a bit now, i'm sure the hubby thought i was turning into a builder! poor fella lol.:eek:
i am on holiday from work, so its worked out well not due back for another week, but feel well enough to return if i had to.
at times i still feel really hungry, and if i'm honest would love to eat a big plate of dinner! but can only manage very small amounts and its because of my bigger appetite i had it fitted. The biscuits are still a massive temptation but i just cant eat them all! which is a massive relief - its all a bit psychological isnt it? i know i cant eat it so its taken the option away - it can only be a good thing.
another thing is that i have managed to almost stop smoking! dont know if theres any correlation but they just taste foul at present, so just not having any! i pray that keeps up!
i've just watched the inspirational photos on here and they are just FANTASTIC!

Giving up smoking too! Well done!

I like the sound of the balloon, but i dont like the sound of the first few days! Plus i am self employed so cant take much time off.

I will think about your posts, thanks......:thinking2:

Hi Waterbaby, welcome to Mini's! There are a few ballooners now which is great!

Well done on your acheivements so far.

Shel

Hey Waterbaby
I am 6.5 weeks post balloon insertion - also with the NOSC. They are still fantastic and I really value the support they offer. I have so far lost exactly 2 stone and feel so much better! The 1st 10 days for me were very hard with a lot of cramping but not so much nausea and vomiting. The cramps do ease up and I only get them now when I overeat (not very often now!) However the burping is still quite intense - especially as I drink a lot of diet coke!! Keep me posted on your progress and well done for giving up smoking! Keep it up.

Kxxx

I am noe 7 weeks post insertion and have lost another 5 lb this week. That brings the total to 2 st 4lb. I am so chuffed with myself!!
Hope you are all well.

Kxxx

wow that's a great weight loss! Well done you! You must be soooo pleased with yourself!

Alice xx

thats great K, well done :)

having a balloon fitted

hi guys im due to have a balloon fitted on 25 th of august in prague im so nervous what sort of weight loss can i expect i n the first few week s any other advice would be greatly recieved

Hello and welcome! Firstly good luck for the 25th. I had my balloon fitted 7.5 weeks ago in london and so far have lost 2st 4lb. The first few days are hard and you are on a liquid only diet. Some people experience nausea and sickness but for me it only lasted 24/36 hours. You may also find that you get cramping for the first few days as the balloon settles in. The clinic where I had my balloon fitted provides a list of foods to eat and it is a very protien heavy food plan - I don't know if you get this with every clinic.
If you have any other questions or want any more info them pls let me know! I have to say that this has been the best thing I have ever done.

Kxxx

thanks for that would you be so kind as to email me the list of food plan that the clinic gave you a s not sure what i ll get from prague ,i really want to suceed with this and want to do my best to make sure i do

Back