• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass Cards..

Scarlet

I hope this in the right place..

I am looking to do credit card style cards for bypass people to carry on them.

I am thinking about what info needs to be on them - also who's interested. The more people I can get interested the cheaper they will be.

So tell me if your interested and what kind of info we need to put on them ( thinking in case of emergency info etc etc)

Scarlet if i have an emergency i don't think they'll be looking in my purse for a card... Hope that didn't sound rude as it wasn't meant to be...

I am always hoping someone with a bit of creativity would come up with a medi-alert bracelet that could be deemed fashionable yet practical...

I do have to say i have a little laminated card from my weight loss support group which i can show in restaurants when i want to order a smaller/childs portion of anything....

Just ran this past my hubby and it appears paramedics/first aiders like St John's will go through a person's pockets.....

Are you thinking resturant card or medical alert?Julie you can get Pandoro type bracelets online.

I would be interested Scarlet, I think its a good idea as the medi-bracelets that I have seen arent the nicest! Our hospital doesnt give cards or anything to show in restaurants either so it would be used for that too. I think it should say that the holder has had gastric surgery rather than a band or bypass because then it can be used for both and some people might be bothered about it saying WLS. Something I was told is that if you have to be intubated (sp?) that they have to use a small size if you have a bypass so that would be a good bit of info to get on there too :D XX

Yep Maz :D I cant remember who told me but if they put a normal size one in it could rupture your pouch :eek: Bad times! XX

This issue of intubating was discussed at one of our support groups a few months ago.

In an emergency situation, the most likely intubation needed would be for breathing difficulties and would involve a tube down the throat but not into the stomach. It would be very rare for a tube to be put into the tummy in an emergency situation so its something that we worry about un-necessarily.

If you did need a tube into the stomach for any reason then yes, a childs size tube should be used.

i have a dog tag thing round my neck, and it has my name on it, and it has on it, 'rny gastric bypass, no nsaids, no sugar, no blind ng tube, salford royal hospital, complex spinal cond. and my hosp number'. i got it a while ago, when i read something from a nurse who worked in A and E, said that she wore one, and she advised on what to put on it. its on quite a long tube, so dosnt actually show that much, i feel better having it on.
i reckon on the cards it should have gastric surgery on it too. its all in the wording really isnt it, ' ............... has had gastric surgery, and can only eat small amounts, ie, childs portion. ' , im not sure of what else, im sure between us all we can come up with the right wording for it. thanks scarlett for offering to do this, its great. hugs xxx

Hi Guys
I don't understand why anyone would have to justify ordering a reduce portion in a restaurant - does, that sound rude, not meant to be but as the paying customer we should get what we order without divulging personal information – I guess some restaurants will insist on charging for a full meal but then we don’t have to go back there and we can make other aware (via the Net) of a particular restaurants policy – in fact that might be a plan develop a link which gives details of WLS friendly restaurants by area !)

I think it's a super idea - you could have space for your surgeons signature and the hospital tel. number. That makes it look more official. My son wears an SOS talisman as he has had open heart surgery and he carries a card with his cardiologists details on it.

thanks scarlet, its nice of you to take time out to do this for us, hugs xxx

id like one more for when im dining out and eating half portions - when youve got something that looks 'official' im guessing places are more willing to help out!

good idea Scarlet

x

count me in - when I have my op that is! I have thought about eating out and smaller portions. As we don't want turkey twizzlers and chips - even if they would let us buy kiddy portions.

Hi Scarlet,
I would be interested in a card, also the idea of helpful resturants would be great.
Thanks Bridgit x

Back