• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass newbie looking for advice and friends

Yay we have another member of WLS Chicks, welcome Vicky. :) I have heard of The Secret. I must check it out on youtube. I'm currently reading You can be thin by marissa peer from Celeb Fit Club. It's very good and is about changing your thoughts and attitude to food with repetition.

well hello i have just joined this forum myself and wish u luck with your loss, i had my bypass may 07 i have lost 7st so far the eating is sometimes awful lol but i do cheat lol i shouldnt but cant help it xxx

Hello Georgina! Wow 7st, brill! I couldnt imagine losing that amount right now lol. Was your op straightforward both before and after?

hi georgina!!! gr8 to have you on board!!! my surgery team didnt give me any specific diet to follow so who's to say whats cheating??? lol... 7 stone is gr8!!! lyn i couldnt imagine that sort of weightloss b4 i started this cos it took me 6 months to lose 2 stone on ww and 5mins to put it bk on lol... but ive lost another 3lbs since my last post so thats 3.5 stone since jan and now it all seems possible...
my appt went fine im healing well and i dont have to go bk for 3 months... just had my list of vitamins... wow... georgina how do u get on with ur vitamins????? Dxxx

hi its georgina ive left u a message on my name so just click on it and u can read it ok good luck with everything xxx

new to all this

Hi,

My doctor has just agreed to refer me for a gastric band, can anyone answer some questions for me.

Also never posted on here before only joined today

Thanks

What questions do you need answered hon?

I am ringing Dr K on thurs, hopefully I'll be able to see him in couple weeks. Am having a hypnosis session on sun 30th. Hopefully that'll elp the mental side of things.

Hi all,

It makes me feel human to read your emails, I began to feel like a freak, I cant wait so I am going to ask Hubby if we can get a loan and go to Belgium to have it done, I would loved to have gone to Gatwick Park (just around the corner) but its twice the cost.

You have all given me a positive feel good feeling, can you still have an alchoholic drink.

How did you friends react to your ops, I am a bit scared to tell mine cause they are sure to tell me not to have it done

Ello all:D

Sorry I've not posted before now but I've not been about of late:eek: a big hello to all you newbies and congratulations on your wls and goodluck to those with upcoming wls dates.

I had my Gastric Bypass on 15th March 2007 and although my weightloss seems to be slower than most(I've lost over 8 stone in 12 months) I'm not disappointed with it as it seems to have made my journey somewhat easier.

If anyone needs advice or even just someone to natter with over the wls there are plenty of us here now to help out.;)

hi wantobethin (wots ur name??) i was lucky enough to have my bypass on the nhs, had diabetes high blood pressure high cholesterol in my immediate family and although i was only borderline at just over 22 stone it was only a matter of time. true friends will understand in the end and support you. mine were shocked at first but once i explained the medical issues and the emotional ones like never feeling truly pretty wen i got dressed to go out being self concious not living my life to the full because of my weight not being able to put my socks on without strain, having to wear elasticated trousers to breathe, only bein able to clothes shop in one place.... theres so many reasons why... in the end my friends understood and supported me and are as happy about my weightloss as i am, they cant wait to take me to primark shopping lol... i have no idea how to shop for a body thats below a size 22!!!
as for alcohol... id heard stories that i may get drunk on half a glass of wine or react badly to it. so last saturday i had two friends round and i tried my first glass of wine......... woo hoo!! no probs at all!! my alien and the wine got on gr8 lol... i did feel tipsy quicker (less money spent) but it was fine.... id say if uv got to the stage where you've tried everything and dont know where to turn from here then gastric bypass is a good choice... its not easy and its life changing in many ways but its worth it....:D

hi bondgirl i read ur diary it really helped me and it was that that made me join this site. i loved hearing about your life, feel like i know you!!! you've come so far... can i ask a couple of questions pls?? how are u getting on with your vitamins? i hate the chewy chalky calciate ones yuck.... have u had probs with thinning hair? if so wot did u do? have u had probs with excess skin yet? if not how have u prevented it? if so how bad and what do u plan to do?? are there still things a year on u cant eat?? ive been told to avoid fizzy drinks but not told how long for but i enjoy a cold beer and i like coke or redbull with my vodka lol and im worried ill never be able to have it again...:sigh: can u drink fizzy drinks??? :confused: sorry to put u thru the spanish inquisition lol....:)
Donna xx

hi bondgirl i read ur diary it really helped me and it was that that made me join this site. i loved hearing about your life, feel like i know you!!! you've come so far... can i ask a couple of questions pls?? how are u getting on with your vitamins? i hate the chewy chalky calciate ones yuck.... have u had probs with thinning hair? if so wot did u do? have u had probs with excess skin yet? if not how have u prevented it? if so how bad and what do u plan to do?? are there still things a year on u cant eat?? ive been told to avoid fizzy drinks but not told how long for but i enjoy a cold beer and i like coke or redbull with my vodka lol and im worried ill never be able to have it again...:sigh: can u drink fizzy drinks??? :confused: sorry to put u thru the spanish inquisition lol....:)
Donna xx

Hi Donna:D

Firstly ask away anything that concerns you and if I can't answer I'm sure some lovely person will;)

I'm quite lucky re the vitamins...calci chew anyway, I love em:eek: they remind me of refresher sweets:eek: however I did find it difficult with the multi vit mine being forcival:mad: it smells disgusting and made me wrench:eek: but I had to get used to it, I sometimes buy the bassetts childrens style vits as a lil extra(they taste lush).

My hair has thinned a bit but as my hairdresser said it was a godsend really as my hair was so thick beforehand, my surgeon did say though that this does settle down.

Skin...well tbh its not that bad, I guess being 32 helps but tbh although I say it isn't too bad...thats just what my partner, doctor, sisters tell me...personally I'm more critical of my body now than when I weighed over 21stone:eek: I intend to have a breast lift(poss enlargement) and a tummy tuck...I'd love my bingo wings and inner thighs done too but I think I'll have to draw a line.:rolleyes:

Fizzy pop well tbh I have it as a mixer but other than that really try to avoid it as it doesn't make me feel great and after a bout of trapped wind I'd have avoided it like the plague if I had to in order to ensure that never happened again:eek: the thing about fizzy drinks is that its said to stretch your pouch therefore allowing you to eat more before you feel hungry...slowing your weightloss down. Before my op I was a fizzy drink addict but no way would I let that in any way effect my life changing decision and with me it was an all or nothing so even now I struggle to add it as a mixer but in no way deprive myself on the odd occassion I've fancied it...I know sounds a lil contradictory, :rolleyes:

Hope this helps:D

Ooops nearly forgot one...a year on are there still things I can't eat? yes of course but I wouldn't say can't eat I just avoid foods I know could make me feel uncomfortable, fatty foods, fried food take aways(apart from subways) its all about listening to your body and what works for you.

Allo girls. Well I am now up to my heaviest weight ever. 20st 13lbs. :eek: I can't go on like this so I am only allowing myself one meal a day. Plus 2/3 CD.

BG, hiya. I must read your diary tomorrow. :)

hi bondgirl thank u soooo much for the advice.... ive decided to change my drink to vodka and orange lol... dont wanna take no chances!!!
yes being a spring chicken does help lol... im 40 so im gona look like a deflated baloon lol... will u get ur cosmetic ops on the nhs u think??? u have to wait 2 years dont u?? can u eat salad now? ive been told its too fiberous right now but im gagging for a greek salad lol... and a fillet of fish but im ignoring that one lol...

hi lynn, i got to 22.2 so i know how u feel i really do... uv got ur appointment in april tho havent you? so dont get depressed look to the future.... not long now...
Donnaxx

will i get a life?

hi im stacey,

i have rewritten this statement a few times now. i have so many questions.

i guess im getting the bypass done for vanity reasons im currently 25 stone and only 24 years old. everything that has gone wrong has always come back to weight.
ie: he wouldnt go out with me, they didnt hire me. i cant shop with mates, i cant fit on the fun fair ride, i cant keep up, people feel as if im not as good as them. and i could go on for ever.

i want the bypass but have been reading up on loads of people suffering from depression or becoming addicted to other substances

will i be able to go out with mates?

will there be loads of lose skin and how will i cope?

i have loads more question if you think you may be able to help or at least try!

thanks

hi newbie here
i am 10 days post op and i was wondering when you were able to go back to work, my surgeon in leeds prefers 4 weeks of liquids only but i couldn't, so i have cheated a little and added half a weetabix for breakfast, but rest of day is tea, coffee, milk and ten calorie soups. this is making me feel really weak and am not sure if i could face work.
cheers
alison

Hi Alison

I am also new to this part of forum, i done the cambridge diet last year when i joined this site. I didnt have much success and had roux-en-y gastric bypass 2 weeks ago, so we are almost the same time. I am also on fluids only but can have yoghurt drinks, creamy soups, ect.. But it is so hard isnt it? i so wanna eat something.
I was told that if i had an office job i could go back to work within 4 weeks but if i had a more active job, then about 6 weeks. I am a student nurse with lots of pulling and heaving on the wards, but i dont go to my next placement till may so i am hoping i will be fine by then.
Did you have the bypass or the band?

Hi to everyone else. I have spent along time reading all these posts and have found alot of the information invaluable. Would be nice to stay in touch and keep each other updated with progress.

Ruth x x

hi ruth
i had the bypass, and i am a drs receptionist, my post op follow up is on the 9th april so i may wait till i have had that before attempting work.
i have found the slim fast drinks a help they seem to be more filling allthough i can get through a full one without discomfort, think he's made my pouch too big lol.
alison :)

hi all!!! i came across this site while searching for info on what to eat after gastric bypass, i was only passing by but you all seemed lovely and after reading half of zoe's diary i decided to join!!
im 3 weeks post op and to be honest its like having an alien inside me instead of a tummy lol... were just getting to know each other... im finding out what foods it will let me eat without dire consequences... for example i know boiled eggs are the aliens sleeping pill lol... 15mins after i ate one i fell asleep for two hours!!!
im lucky tho the alien seems quite friendly i havent had dumping or been sick but its early days yet lol... ive lost 3 stone since starting the journey with the liver shrinking diet on the 13th jan, had my op 1st of feb. did my hard slog of liquids only for the first two weeks then on to baby food pastes, im supposed to be on stiff purees now but ive eaten chicken rice pasta tuna etc... im a little worried that im doing my alien harm but i think id go crazy trying to force more purees down!!! i do have a constant mild ache on my left side im a little worried about, wonder if thats cos ive left purees too soon... i really wasnt given nutritional advice for this period just to make sure i got enough liquids so now i feel a bit up in the air!!! so any help advice or encouragement will be gratefully received!!! i feel like im really low on energy everything is a chore!!! will this improve?? ooh and ive cheated a little i ate sum ice cream and a low fat digestive!!! my alien seemed to enjoy that but i feel really guilty!!! even though i cant eat enough yet to go over my allotted calories!!!
also to anyone thinking of doing this.... i dont regret a single second!!! i would do it again!! i want to eat to live not live to eat as i was b4, even 3 stone has made me so much more comfortable!! anything anyone wants to ask about the op im ready and willing to chat!!!
thanks for listening.....(or reading should i say lol)

Hiya hun

I was glad to find your post, I am about to have the surgery and I am so nervous.
How did you manager your nervs befor the op?

Im so glad that you are doing soooo well, well done you!!

Nessa XXX

Hi all. Yay more people, welcome! I am having hypnosis on Sunday 30th and will see surgeon on 28th April. I bought two books off Amazon, one for bypass, one for lap-band. Will start bypass one tonight. They're aimed at American market but should still be an informative read.

I'm mad at myself because I still can't stick to a diet, am hoping when I get a date for the op it'll seem more real.:break_diet:

Stacey hi. I know how you feel hon, I blame everything on my weight too. I am worried about loose skin too but I'd rather have loose skin that I could cover up than rolls of fat that never disappear! :D

Back