• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting used to compliments

Paula1975

I've had some very nice compliments today, and 7 months out still finding it hard to take compliments on the weight loss, and how I look. After years of put downs and names I find it hard to accept positive views

I'm exactly the same. Have had some positive reactions recently by various folk I know etc. I tend to shirk it off and to a degree blush, as I'm just not used to it.

I still struggle too. I get really embarrassed when I get compliments. It is really hard to accept them when all your used to is feeling insecure and paranoid about how you look and how others see you. I suppose it will hopefully get easier for us all in time xx

28+mths out I still struggle to we get there slowly but it takes a while for the head to catch up & is to accept we deserve the praise.

I'm waiting for that day when I finally look at myself in the mirror and think 'you'll do'. ;)

Hi all! Now I'm just curious. When friends and colleagues compliment you on your weight loss, do you confess to having " help " or do you let them think you've achieved your new look with hard work and life style changes?
I too am finding it difficult to be gracious when being complimented on the weight loss - I'm so used to waiting for their punch line.

Been brought up never to lie, so I tell all about my wls. To some degree's I wished I didn't as it promotes constant monitoring... but what the hell? My body, my life, my choice.

Hi all! Now I'm just curious. When friends and colleagues compliment you on your weight loss, do you confess to having " help " or do you let them think you've achieved your new look with hard work and life style changes?
I too am finding it difficult to be gracious when being complimented on the weight loss - I'm so used to waiting for their punch line.

I tell the truth. Even though we've had 'help', its still hard work and a change of lifestyle forever :)

Had my super sleeve last October and when people started noticing the weight loss I was always happy to share my surgery experience but some people still managed to make me feel like a failure for having to take that route - as if resorting to surgery was the weak way to lose weight. Don't need those negative types chipping away at my new found confidence. Now , if they ask how I did it , I'll tell them about my sleeve, if they don't ask I'll let them believe what they want to.
Keep it up Guys and Gals xx

It's no-ones business but mine so I don't tell them. I never know what to say back to compliments though!

I have always told the truth. I get told that I'm brave, or that I must have worked really hard to do as well as I have. People are watching the surgery shows, and they see so many where people regain and eat the wrong stuff, most people I speak to recognise that I've had to work really hard to lose as much and as quickly as I have.

I still struggle with compliments too. not sure if this was a compliment but I'm just over 18 months out & today I went for a medical at work... obviously had to declare my op & then came the inevitable questions on loss, when I told the nurse I'd lost 8st since the op she said she couldn't believe I'd been that heavy as I didn't look like I'd been that big... I just replied erm... thanks! Lol :)

I to was open about my surgery especially at ww, right or wrong I didn't want others demoralised seeing me lose quickly while they struggled but I am also clear its a tool not a magic wand I have to learn as much as they do about my eating or face the consequences or even ruin this last chance by regaining. I also find that so far people have been supportive rather than critical of my choice. I take their compliments with as much grace as I can muster but its hard sometimes especially when my heads struggling with myself. But in some ways its also an incentive others knowing to keep me on the straight & narrow especially when there's a selection of naughties on offer so I resist temptation.

Fascinating topic. I've a long way to go until the compliments (hopefully!) start but I've tended to be open with people about having had a bypass.

Everyone - except my siblings (all as large as me) - has been very supportive. Many have been genuinely interested and have asked questions.

I find compliments very hard to deal with, I always think people are being sarcastic. Also I still tend to put myself down and explain that yeah I might look ok on the exterior but you wanna see the state of my flappy ugly excess skin. Why do I do this I don't know ??????

Not sure if this was a compliment or not really, but I was groped in a crowd/riot this week, I'm sure that wouldn't have happened if I had been my former size.

I did have an instinctive response, and luckily I have no bruising on my knuckles.

I too have always been honest and told everyone about my sleeve. I just don't think it's fair to let them believe its possible to lose 5 stone in 4 months! So many people struggle with weight loss. Also I have had genuine interest and positive comments when I have told them. I wouldn't know what else to say when they ask how did you do it??

Been brought up never to lie, so I tell all about my wls. To some degree's I wished I didn't as it promotes constant monitoring... but what the hell? My body, my life, my choice.
You said it in the beginning of this "New Life" I don't want the CONSTANT MONITORING!!! Maybe later I will fess up and tell others that are struggling with their weight the "WholeTruth!!!!! Good Luck!! :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

You have to decide what is best for you. We each make our own choices & decisions on who or how much we tell. Nothing is right or wrong that we decide suits our individual circumstances. Good luck to you on your journey & in your decision on who or what to say when. I was open others choose to be with some but not everyone others go it alone as such & keep it to themselves. Do what's best for you & what you feel comfortable with.

Back