• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Good news and bad news

:argh: Have u considered a Sleeve??? Not sure what the cost is privately.... I have two close friends who have had WLS (Bypass) one in the UK (2010 under Mr Schroeder) and one in Belgium (2008/9 can't remember lol under Dr Dillemans) they have both done very well! Keep your chin up there is always a solution just around the corner :) x x

Hi, don't know if this helps but for me, my GP was the reason I got funding; he was incredibly proactive. It might be worth seeing if another GP at your practice would be more proactive about helping you be assessed as a special case even though you don't meet the PCT's criteria?

Yve
thanks Yve but theres only one gp where i go, i might change though lol x

Caren

You have a Lovely Mum and a great Boss !

So sorry about your predicament that you're in :sigh:

I'm kind of in the same situation as my only route is NHS....Can't get any loans or cards as my credit level is low also.

I see you're in Basildon...I live in Epping and my PCT is West Essex....is yours the same or do you come under a different PCT?..it's just you mentioned that your don't reach the Criteria needed.

My criteria at West Essex NHS is..

BMI 50 or higher

&

a co-morbidity ( Sleep Apnoea,Type 2 Diabetes )

& been to a weight management course..dietician...WW etc.. for at least 6 months and seen to have lost weight and sustain it

I really hope that you situation is sorted out soon.

Take Care hun

Andy xx
Andy, im in west Essex too, i phoned my local pct in Basildon and was told that the criteria was: a BMI of over 40, either diabetes or sleep apnoea and a proven 6 month record of weight management. Strange that its different from you! hmmm

So sorry to hear this news, I remember when I found out I couldn't get funding, devastated, but things happen and you never know what is around the corner, I've now gone private and am flying out to Prague with Cosmetic Bliss on the 17th October for a Gastric Wrap, visit their website and give them a call, speak with Michael, he's lovely, I was on the phone for about 2 hours asking him so many questions, might be worth thinking about as another option for you, good luck, Wendyx

Hi there, nearly 18 months ago I started my journey, I thought I was going to get it in the NHS went tthrough the right channels and then BOOm I did not meet their criteria so I applied for a loan knowing it was the right thing for me, but was turned down.

And that was that..

Over the last 12 months my weight ballooned and work was getting a challenge, so I asked my wife, I want Wls for my birthday and she applied for a loan and got one. And now I'm all set.

You will Have set backs but if its meant to be it will happen. Chin up :)

Thanks Suzz, yes I would consider finance but im a discharged bankrupt and have a very low credit rating :(
im considering going abroad
Be careful about going abroad for these ops, have heard some horror stories and bear in mind you won't have the back up in case of problems when you get back.

Thanks Kim, I dont meet the pct criteria for the nhs although im going to keep on at them, feel so deflated lol
Hi Caren
You don't say why you don't fit criteria? if as BMI shows it is 45 that would qualify up in my area (less if you have major health problems such as hypertension/diabetes) obviously they must have higher BMI requirement which is not fair and just goes to show that when PCTs are allowed to set rules it becomes a postcode lottery. Have you tried writing to your MP and stating your case?

Caren said:
Andy, im in west Essex too, i phoned my local pct in Basildon and was told that the criteria was: a BMI of over 40, either diabetes or sleep apnoea and a proven 6 month record of weight management. Strange that its different from you! hmmm

Caren

My mistake, BMI us over 40 not 50 as I said.

As if things aren't bad enough without me putting another 10 on the BMI... LOL

xx

I had prolapse problems and depression,got my funding on 'special circumstances'.My doc at weight management told me that was how he got my funding.I was borderline bmi and had to put on weight to ensure I met the minimum bmi of 45 in my area!Do you have anything healthwise that would be worth putting forward?

I had prolapse problems and depression,got my funding on 'special circumstances'.My doc at weight management told me that was how he got my funding.I was borderline bmi and had to put on weight to ensure I met the minimum bmi of 45 in my area!Do you have anything healthwise that would be worth putting forward?
well, im waiting for a sleep apnoea test from the hosp, but they want only sleep apnoea or diabetes, which i dont have. Bah lol

It took 3 appeals by my GP to the PCT before I was granted funding last year and it took more than 6 months of fighting with my GP getting back to the PCT as soon as he received the rejection letters.

In the end it took an appeal to the special exemptions committee to swing things in my direction. I do have co-morbidities but not diabetes or PCOS - no idea about sleep apnoea as no-one will test me for it and today was told by surgeon that anaesthetist will decide when he reviews my case notes but that it shouldn't affect my surgery date!

Tatiana

It took 3 appeals by my GP to the PCT before I was granted funding last year and it took more than 6 months of fighting with my GP getting back to the PCT as soon as he received the rejection letters.

In the end it took an appeal to the special exemptions committee to swing things in my direction. I do have co-morbidities but not diabetes or PCOS - no idea about sleep apnoea as no-one will test me for it and today was told by surgeon that anaesthetist will decide when he reviews my case notes but that it shouldn't affect my surgery date!

Tatiana
good luck honey :) xxx

TwinkleTwinkle said:
GOOD LUCK to you both ... If my wishes were worth anything, you would both be done by now :sigh: xxxx
Thanks my dear,

Your wishes mean so much and I wish they held sway with the hospitals!

Tatiana

Magsy said:
ah sweet, i really feel for you. you are first on my list if i win lottery this weekend. Dont ever give up BIG wrap around hug coming your way xxxxxxxxxxx

Magsy,

You're an absolute sweetheart, what a kind thought - good luck for the lottery at the weekend!

Tatiana

Back