• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got my date - absolutely devastated

Montana

Hospital rang me this morning to say that they wanted me to come in on 22nd December for surgery. I've been waiting 2 years for this day and now I'm totally devastated because I rang work and they won't let me have the time off :( They say it doesn't give them enough time to arrange cover for me especially seeing as it's over christmas :( Don't know what to do with myself now apart from cry :cry:

I'm in work at 2pm so I'm going to plead with them in one last attempt but it's really not looking good :cry:

H x

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
omg what an awful position to be in :( where do u work?

Montana

I work in a secure unit for kids and because of the high level of incidents we need to have a minimum amount of cover. Everybody was told that they could only have christmas off if they could get someone to cover their shift. I didn't bother cos I don't mind working christmas, and now i get my date :( Who in their right mind is going to offer to do all my christmas shifts now :(

H x

greyputy

Gutted. Have you checked to see when an alternative date is. It might only be a few weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

pandora

finding my way again !
Nightmare , though what would they do if you were genuinely sick over Xmas . Obviously you can't just go off sick , can you go higher up to get time off ?
It's not like you planned this to happen now , hope you manage to sort something xx

emmalouise1989

X Emma X
omg!, i knewmy work wouldnt so i didnt ask because its not like it was a holiday, i just rang in sick the day of my surgery, and then the hospital have given me a sick note for 4 weeks so i set that in and they are fine about it, as they can not refuse a sick note, and i self certified for te first few days until they got it.

hope it all works out and you get ur op, i can not beleieve that they have refused you being off, have you told them your having surgery?

Montana

Gonna beg the centre manager when i get to work and hope for the best!! The date they've offered me is a cancellation cos I'd emailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask where I was on the list. If i don't go next week then im looking at next year around March/April time. Which isn't miles away I know but when you've wanted something so long and the opportunity arises and you have to decline it's gutting :(

H x

flowerofshona

That is such an awful situation !!
Look at the bright side you get to have a last Christmas so if you can not get the time off have a great time and look forward to next year cos it will be a great year xxxx

suzie290304

Can work refuse you time off for an operation ? Don't think they can, just tell them this is the op date that the hospital has appointed you and this is the date you have to have. Whether they like it or not. It might sound harsh when you say this to your manager but that is what managers, seniors get paid for to arrange cover for sick leave. If they can not accommodate this well it's not your problem as you will have a sick note. Good luck and I hope you find the courage to tell them straight. X x x

flowerofshona

The problem is ths is elective surgery so not classed the same as medical surgery :( :(

PhilT

Can work refuse you time off for an operation ? Don't think they can, just tell them this is the op date that the hospital has appointed you and this is the date you have to have. Whether they like it or not. It might sound harsh when you say this to your manager but that is what managers, seniors get paid for to arrange cover for sick leave. If they can not accommodate this well it's not your problem as you will have a sick note. Good luck and I hope you find the courage to tell them straight. X x x

WLS though elective is life saving and a huge cost benefit to your employer when you are leaner and fitter - They maybe putting you at risk by denying you this chance and thats the pleading card I would play !!

The surgery is not about you "cosmetically" loosing weight its to prolong your life and health!! Thats why it is available on the NHS

emmalouise1989

X Emma X
it may be elective, but it doesnt change the fact that she will get a sick note which is no different if it wasnt elective, and they can not refuse a sick note, and they only know its elective if there told and they dont need to be told that.

i was very vague in what i told my boss when i went off sick for my op for this reason.

Raynebubble

OMG what a horrible situation to be in, i thkyou need to explain to your boss that you are having this op for medical reasons and without it, they will find you will prob have to have more time off work in the future.. Good luck hun xx

Tray3004

Aw poor u good luck Hun hope u get the time of xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

minxie

What a shame :(, however I'm a great believer in fate and think that everything happens for a reason - if you can't go have it in December then try and look on the bright side, as someone else said it gives you Christmas to look forward to, and more time to prepare for your op. Hope it all works out well for you.:)

nichola24

ok might not be the best advice, but threaten to quit?? say your having the op wether they like it or not and see what happens, do you have any union that could help you?

OOnion

I agree with the others, it is "sickness" as you will be in hospital, it does not matter if its elective or emergency surgery, it goes down as planned sick time, as long as you have a sick note there is nothing they can do about it. However they may only choose to pay you SSP while you are off.
Good luck with your early Christmas gift! xx