• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got my date today!!! Bypass here I come... And then I was SLEEVED

Lisa876

Absolutely gutted. They just cancelled on me

Lynneslims

What!!!! At a few minutes notice? That's ridiculous. How devastating. Hope they've given you the next slot. Can only imagine how gutted you must feel. Def sending hugs ((()))

nafpnd

Oh no Lisa, so sorry hun, this is an absolute nightmare :(

FeeBee

Oh no! Did they give you an explanation?
I can't imagine how you must feel to get so close to it :(

Rose2016

I'm so sorry to hear this. Thinking of you - must be devastated

Lisa876

Thanks everyone and yes I was totally floored. I had been in the Admissions lounge since 7.30, and had meetings with the surgeon, dietician, anaesthetist, nurse - everyone! I was just about to change into my gown when I was told.
Apparently they had about 6 theatre staff not turn up for work, then with A&E cases plus cancer patients that were also scheduled, routine cases were last priority. I was offered a SANDWICH which I declined ( ended up with a corned beef salad) I'm not ruining the work of my LSD with some manky piece of bread though I was a bit hungry after not eating for nearly 24 hours. At least they ordered me a taxi on their account.
I've been given a provisional date weeks away, but may get called in if there are any cancellations.
My biggest problem in all this is that my husband had already booked time off around my initial date, then went back to his manager when they brought the surgery forward to adjust it. Now he'll have to go back to them again for yet another adjustment.
I'm over the disappointment, just annoyed at the inconvenience... and the 'joy' of continuing my LSD

FeeBee

It really is very inconvenient. We had to juggle so much with my husband's job and the kids I felt really panicked when anyone mentioned the possibility of cancellation. On a couple of Facebook groups people have talked about contacting PALS to get a new op date. They can't leave you on your LRD indefinitely surely you'd end up ill :(

Branches

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to hear this! What a disappointment, and as you say such an inconvenience with your hubbies work. Anyone would have the same problems! I hope you get a new date soon and don't have to be on your LSD for to long. Well done you for sticking to it x

Lisa876

Thanks @FeeHutch and @Kimberleyski I am trying but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't hard. Every now and again the thoughts creep in... I so wanted some comfort food yesterday but I settled for a nice chunk of watermelon and a handful of strawberries, hope that didn't do too much damage lol
I was given a date but it wasn't really in formal writing, just a scribbled note so I'm just waiting to see if anything comes in the post. If I don't receive the new date in the post in a few days I shall be ringing them again.

FeeBee

Fingers crossed they confirm the new date and quickly. I like to think I'd have stuck to my LRD in your shoes but I'm not sure I'd have had the strength you do x

nafpnd

How is it going @Lisa876 with arranging a new date. Hope they won't mess you are about now, they must know how difficult this is doing a new schedule and making new arrangements with hubby and all.

Lisa876

Thanks ladies. I've been trying to keep my head "in the game" and did cheat a wee bit for a day or 2 - nothing overly naughty - just an extra piece of protein and I did end up finishing that watermelon, it has always been a weakness :)

I've got no idea how much weight I've lost as every time I step on my fairly newly acquired scale (bought it just before starting on LSD) its gives me a different reading, sometimes with as many as 10 kgs difference... Guess I'd better see about returning it... I'm going into town today so will pop to Boots and use the scale there.

I'm AGAIN waiting on a confirmation letter after being given my 4th date (first 17/06, brought forward to 10/06 which was cancelled, then got told 01/07 but on the day that letter came - Wednesday 15/06 - I received a phone call bringing it a wee bit closer but I've not had that letter yet...

lin davey

Lisa, I have just read your diary and know exactly how you must be feeling. Heartlands did the same to me, sat in admissions lounge until 4.30 and then they told me they needed to cancel op due to someone's surgery being complex and overrunning. I had to wait 4 weeks for the big day, so stayed X on the LSD diet resulting in a really good loss. Be prepared for a wait when you next get to the hospital, I waited till after 4pm, my nerves were shot, broke down in tears and within 15minutes was on my way to theatre for the start of the new me. Seven months later nearly six and a half stone lost, I am thankful every day for the opportunity given to me. Wishing you the best of luck xxx

Lisa876

Thanks @lin davey seems I'll need it :) It is encouraging seeing your progress and thats a fantastic loss! What surgery did you have?
The booking coordinator has assured me that as I'm being re-booked, I'll be first to theatre on surgery day. While I was in the admissions lounge there was another lady (she went first) who had been cancelled 3 weeks before in pretty much the same fashion... this seems to definitely be a trend at Heartlands... almost like the booking style of certain airlines that love to overbook lol

lin davey

Lisa, they told me that as well, but they did the day cases first and then a lady who was cancelled the week before went first, apparently diabetics get priority due to sugar levels. I had a sleeve with mr Richardson. X

Lisa876

Oh dear. I'm really hoping not to get shuffled around like that, I do understand certain medical needs taking priority but I would probably struggle with anxiety.
How did you find Mr Richardson Lin? I was under Mr Singhal before but have been placed under Mr Richardson now...