• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Happy and sad

witchingmoon

I am at last feeling good about having the op. I have lost over 2 stone which is amazing to me as never lose more than 1stone when I dieted. The other most amazing thing is my neck has already shown an improvement and I can at last wear the necklace my hubby got me for my birthday in September (which didn't fit)

But I am still having trouble getting food in so my GP said to go on to mash a week or so early. She thinks it is the stage I am having a problem with and moving on will help. I am worried as the hospital said 4 weeks on puréed to give you time to heal. What should I do?

Also when can I start using weights? I want to try and tone as I lose.

Thanks

Hi Sweetie :) I went onto soft foods at 2 weeks which is as recommended in my area so you will be fine. Give weights a wide berth until your 6 weeks check up at the very least ... you don't want to pull anything inside. Walking, swimming is best for now :):) xxx

Hi Sweetie :) I went onto soft foods at 2 weeks which is as recommended in my area so you will be fine. Give weights a wide berth until your 6 weeks check up at the very least ... you don't want to pull anything inside. Walking, swimming is best for now :):) xxx

Thank you hun will try something soft tomorrow and see how it goes. I will leave the weights for now. When can you go swimming I was under the impression it was 6 weeks post op if it's sooner I will be happy :) x

I am at last feeling good about having the op. I have lost over 2 stone which is amazing to me as never lose more than 1stone when I dieted. The other most amazing thing is my neck has already shown an improvement and I can at last wear the necklace my hubby got me for my birthday in September (which didn't fit)

But I am still having trouble getting food in so my GP said to go on to mash a week or so early. She thinks it is the stage I am having a problem with and moving on will help. I am worried as the hospital said 4 weeks on puréed to give you time to heal. What should I do?

Also when can I start using weights? I want to try and tone as I lose.

Thanks

I was on puréed food for just two weeks so you should be just fine

As for using weights, well each surgical team have their own view so check with yours but mine said nothing heavier than a kettle for 12 weeks which makes sense

My guide was 2 wks on each stage although due to a impending holiday abroad I with my dietitians support only did a week on each stage.
Depending on whether you had keyhole or open surgery I'd say nothing to heavy so more than the kettle until after the first few weeks, hoovering etc from 6 wks but if open surgery not even the kettle for at least 6 wks.

hun listen to the advise given above... defo no weights for now hun... that is something to be added later on if wanting.... but even the lightest of weights can put a strain on your healing body so soon. i didnt start soft foods until start of week 5, but thats the guidlines of my hospital. Speaking to lots of people on here the were on soft foods from week two some earlier.. so you will be fine.. and you will also find that your energy levels will pick up too.. so get walking hun... best for of excercise for now and its free xx

Crikey if lifting nothing more than a kettle for 12 weeks applied to me the whole house would fall apart. Does that include lifting the shopping out of the trolley into the car and out of the car over the road into the house, pushing a trolley, carrying a baby around, pushing the hoover, taking the rubbish out carrying the laundry between the washer and dryer, etc. etc. etc.

I would still give the weights a miss though Lovely. Can't wait to get over this cold so I can go swimming. Shame the leisure centre 5 mins walk away has closed for a year for refurbishment.

Kate x

i have no choice to do the bins, shopping etc..im a single parent.. nobody else will do it lol... but if i have heavu shopping in the car now i distribute the heavy shopping int different bags so i havnt just got one huge heavy one x

Lol. I'm single parent too so did all my jobs just at a slower pace...mind you, I'm not one to milk illness for what it's worth either...prob what aided my recovery!! if I'd have waited for my teenage daughters then the house would have soon looked like a refuse tip :)

When I say swimming, I don't mean butterfly or even crawl, lol ... just gentle water exercise as being in water lessens the impact on your body. You should manage breaststroke just so long as your wounds are dry & clean as you can get infections from the pool. xxx :):)

Last edited:
You just sort of get on with it don't you. Tim tells me off but I'm not one to pull back either. Have to say that my boss wont let me be pushing people around in wheelchairs yet which is very good of her. It's very hard not to do the normal things you do when you feel so fit and well isn't it.

Kate x

My hubby won't let me do anything in the house he tells me off :(
I have been walking but can't do much as have not been using my crutches so back is hurting from walking upright.

I had some scramble egg this morning and it was ok though I only managed a couple of mouth full as I could feel it in my chest.

Thank you all for your advice. I can't wait to be able to start exercising so I can boost my weight loss. X

i haven't been able to exercise yet but can't wait to be able to go swimming :) my little springer will think all his christmasses have come at once because i will be able to walk him better now still have a stick but think will be able to move quicker with less weight :) hopefully anyway x

I was back swimming at 2 weeks post-op, but only because I'd been glued back together with no external stitches and everything had completely healed. I started back with 20 lengths, but am back now at my usual 64.

Be guided by how you feel in yourself. There is plenty of time to dip your toes in the water.

Wow 64 lengths that's brilliant :) that's more than 1 a minute i'd be quite happy if in a few months i could do half that xx

i need to be brave and buy a swimming costume lol

Find cheap ones in the sales as you shrink out of the fast I took a size 18 on holiday & a size 16 never wore the 18 only the 16 went swimming a while later & had to wear a 14 the 16 was to big I now fit in a size 10-12 dress so have some 12 costumes that may fit for a short while by next summer I may be smaller than my friends 16yr old daughter who wears a 10, I may even risk a bikini. Lo if you saw the Spanish ladies older than me with spare tyres in bikinis I may just brave it I certainly won't be out of place even with a floppy midriff.

Wow 64 lengths that's brilliant :) that's more than 1 a minute i'd be quite happy if in a few months i could do half that xx

LOL! It takes more than an hour for me to do 64 - I usual get it done in 75-80 minutes - depends if I have to wait at the ends for the faster ones to overtake!

Thinking of treating myself to a waterproof mp3 player so I can listen to audio books whilst I swim, as it can get a bit boring.

i need to be brave and buy a swimming costume lol

Evans don't stock them in the stores out of season, so you may need to buy online. I got an absolute bargain on eBay.

I've been swimming since I was 25 stone. I still look a sight at 19 stone, but I don't care. Just pick a time when it's adults only if you can so that you don't have to avoid the kids splashing in the shallow end.

Back