• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had to have vitamins/mineral infusions after a bypass?

New Beginnings

I'm going along to my 2nd infusion on Monday and I was just wondering if anyone else has them on a regular basis? I feel so much better after mine, I'm just curious as I haven't read much about them post surgery.

You've got me curious I have to admit t never hearing about infusions! What are they exactly?

I have had one iron infusion on 3rd Feb. I had my bypass 1st April 2009. I've been chronically anaemic for months and my ferritin (iron store levels) were very low.

After my surgery I noticed the usual period of my hair falling out etc but what worried me more was that I noticed that my memory had started to suffer. Simple things I took for granted every day I was starting to forget. I would write things down at first thinking it was me just having too much on my mind, but then I would forget where I put the notes or where I parked the car in the supermarket etc. I'm also studying to become a London Black Taxi driver and I noticed that my studying had declined. When I mentioned it to my surgeon they ran a simple blood test and while that was being tested advised that I double up on my iron and forceval. When the tests came back it showed that my vitamin/mineral levels were very low and was advised to have the infusion. Within a week or so from the infusion I felt my energy levels return and most importantly my memory get back to its old self. That was 3 months ago and I can feel the signs of it all again hence my 2nd infusion. Surgeon said I might be just one of those folk that will need it until my weight loss levels off.

Back