• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have you mentally adjusted to the new you?

j0anne

Or do you keep looking checking ...have you gone down in clothes sizes without realising you skipped a level ?

I haven't looked at myself for such along time I wonder if I will meet what I think I am as opposed to what I am if you get my drift.

Roll on bypass I want to see what I can do

jo

Hi
I am nearly 7 stone lighter than I was at referral 2.5 years ago, nearly 5 stone of that is since my op 22nd Feb 13.
People are taking double takes and I "feel" normal now. Yes you go down without realising, and it comes off fast if you stick to the rules. Its great, and its a great feeling to have this tool that works.
At times, a pair of trousers fits, then 2 weeks later they are too big. Set yourself small goals to begin with, and its great when you hit them! My next one is 13 stone, and I have 8.5lb to go.

I realised quite by accident that I should get smaller clothes.I was out at the baby clinic for the first time with my grand daughter and daughter in law. At the point I had lost about 5 stone I think. I walked into the hall and was faced with a lady who I thought I knew but couldn't remember who it was exactly ... It took about twenty seconds to realise that I was in fact looking at a wall to wall mirror and the lady looking at me was in fact me!! My DIL burst out laughing when she realised what had happened and I commented that I think I may need new clothes or words to those effect.... My clothes were quite literally hanging off me... I was at the local asda within days and bought a few size 24 stretchy things and was amazed that they fit ...I had been a 34/36 months before. I just can't believe that I had dropped 4 or 5 sizes without noticing!!

Hi
I am nearly 7 stone lighter than I was at referral 2.5 years ago, nearly 5 stone of that is since my op 22nd Feb 13.
People are taking double takes and I "feel" normal now. Yes you go down without realising, and it comes off fast if you stick to the rules. Its great, and its a great feeling to have this tool that works.
At times, a pair of trousers fits, then 2 weeks later they are too big. Set yourself small goals to begin with, and its great when you hit them! My next one is 13 stone, and I have 8.5lb to go.

I love it when that happens. Walked in to our local boots store and I personally know one of the ladies that work there. It had been almost a year since i saw her last but she had to look three times to check it really was me :D. She was gobsmacked but it really made my day.

I find this weightloss/sizeloss thing quite interesting. What I noticed about myself is that I loose weight quite consistently (I've never had a stall). I will go for 4-5 weeks loosing quite quickly and my measurements will stay the same. Then I will have maybe 2 weeks where my loses are small, but my measurements go down. So I am now in the habit of if I loose a small amount one week, I go an try on a load of clothes, and I've normally gone down a size.

But psychologically, no, I dont feel any different, still feel like inhabit the same space. And when I look in the mirror I can see the changes, but sometimes all I see are the negatives.

I remember in my twenties I lost 10 stone through diet, exercise and being really really mad at a male friend who made a few comments that hit home a bit too hard and I remember looking in the mirror at a skinny me and still seeing the fat me ... I never changed my clothes size and wore the same baggy stuff because I didn't believe the scales or the mirror ... but that was when I was very very depressed and not in a good place at all ... once my head was sorted out I did put all the weight back on, but I still looked the same in the mirror again, so it was quite surreal ... it is amazing the tricks our brains can play on us! This time, I just want to be strong and healthy - if I can run my business (lots of lifting) and play badminton again and run round the park with the kids without feeling like I will have a heart attack then I will have succeeded, whatever the scales and the mirror say... xxx

So true for me too witch...at 17 I went from 17 st to 11st but never saw myself as thin. I did buy clothes though and remember being so pleased that I had normal clothes... This phase was a short lived period in my life as ill health followed swiftly with the birth of my 3 children saw the weight yoyo up and down but never again did I see that magical 11st again :(.
Looking out photos shortly after my grandaughter was born I came across a pic of me shortly after giving birth to my eldest .. I was so skinny!! I laughed and showed it to hubby saying god wasn't I so thin then but why can't I remember being so? He laughed and said darling I kept trying to tell you that you were but you just wouldn't listen to me.. .. He did too but I think at the time my brain just couldn't comprehend it. The mirror incident I mentioned earlier kind of shows just how we tend to block out those changes and it takes a bit of mind trickery for us to acknowledge the change... I have wall too wall mirror in our bedroom. On that same morning I got dressed and looked at my reflection and still saw the old fat me in perfectly fitting clothes. Yet two hours later I saw the real me and it was jaw droppingly different person and my clothes were terrible!..... Our minds are indeed quirky

I am so glad to know this as the IAPT nurse I see is trying to talk me into looking at myself and recording the progress she said it can take several years for you(in your head) to catch up and see what you (in reality) is...
which means in reality if I don't see myself for real.. i'll meet myself some few years back ...lol anyone else confused ...

In the Mail (boo hiss) this weekend there was a story of a lady who had a bypass and went from 22st+ to 11st+
She had taken a photo for each stone that the lost and the transformation was clear.
I think I'll do the same.

Nope, I can't see it at all and my brain hasn't adjusted at all. I have lost 7 1/2 stone since my op and I am now at target....yet I still buy size 22/24 tops and trousers! I am having to go to see a psychologist at my team's request because I am not seeing it at all! People tell me every day that they notice but it doesn't help me! lol
My other problem is I go to the supermarket and I still buy the quantity of food I used to, I can't get through it at all and I end up throwing most of it out. Such a waste! If you looked in my fridge, you wouldn't think I had had weight loss surgery! It's not bad food, there is just loads of it. I need slapped! :rolleyes:

Hi Sashie, sounds like you need a personal shopper! ;) Seriously, I hope you take the help offered. You've got the rest of your life to live. You've done the hard work, now you get to enjoy it. Good luck hun! X

In the Mail (boo hiss) this weekend there was a story of a lady who had a bypass and went from 22st+ to 11st+
She had taken a photo for each stone that the lost and the transformation was clear.
I think I'll do the same.

Even at 8 and 1/2 stone down I still cant see it in photos. Quite clearly there has to be a change but i really really can not see it?!

I know what you mean, 2 years ago I lost over 6 stone and was wearing a size 14-16 jeans and still felt as big as ever, when I look back on pics of me at that size I looked great why oh why couldn't I see it??

My other problem is I go to the supermarket and I still buy the quantity of food I used to, I can't get through it at all and I end up throwing most of it out. Such a waste! If you looked in my fridge, you wouldn't think I had had weight loss surgery! It's not bad food, there is just loads of it. I need slapped! :rolleyes:

I have that problem too, I just can't get used to not filling my plate the way I used to! If I only put in what I know I'll eat, I feel frustrated, "knowing" that it's not going to be enough, I will still be hungry and will have to go back for more, so I do put too much in and then feel annoyed that it's going to "go to waste" when I can't finish it. But I'll get there, it's early days yet.

The other thing is eating out, I can't face ordering from the children's menu as my friend does (mainly cos it's crap, mind you!), so these days I have absolutely no problem just eating a couple of bites and asking to take the rest home! The only problem I have encountered with that is upset restaurant staff thinking I don't like the food and me then having to explaining that it's not them, it's me, LOL! So I end up telling them about the band, and then they are perfectly happy and understanding!

I can see that I'm smaller, but its as if I'm seeing a smaller fat person. I think some of that is to do with the loose skin. I can't not acknowledge the change now - I clearly am slimmer, but I can't get my head around the person in the photos and my reflection really being me. I almost expect to wake up one morning and see me again in the mirror.

I can see that I'm smaller, but its as if I'm seeing a smaller fat person. I think some of that is to do with the loose skin. I can't not acknowledge the change now - I clearly am slimmer, but I can't get my head around the person in the photos and my reflection really being me. I almost expect to wake up one morning and see me again in the mirror.

I think you hit the nail on the head there Yve. Its the glimpses of shadowy reflections in shop windows that catch me unawares that make me go :wow: If only i could hold on to that perspective but i blink and its the old me again.
Out walking yesterday on a woodland walk I had to sit down at a bench to catch my breath. it was one of those picnic bench tables. I looked at it and said to myself no Im not going to bother trying to squeeze myself into the small gap then thought no go for it only to find that i fitted easily. The same for narrow gaps / doors ... i still go sideways when there is absolutly no need:rolleyes:

And going between cars. And sitting on chairs with arms. I still sit ever so gingerly and its not even really concious.

I have that problem too, I just can't get used to not filling my plate the way I used to! If I only put in what I know I'll eat, I feel frustrated, "knowing" that it's not going to be enough, I will still be hungry and will have to go back for more, so I do put too much in and then feel annoyed that it's going to "go to waste" when I can't finish it. But I'll get there, it's early days yet.

The other thing is eating out, I can't face ordering from the children's menu as my friend does (mainly cos it's crap, mind you!), so these days I have absolutely no problem just eating a couple of bites and asking to take the rest home! The only problem I have encountered with that is upset restaurant staff thinking I don't like the food and me then having to explaining that it's not them, it's me, LOL! So I end up telling them about the band, and then they are perfectly happy and understanding!

I have a small side plate that I use for my meals and small dinner plates for everyone else. That way I know i am within my portion allowance and I am not over feeding everyone else to make up for it :eek: It also doesn't make my plate look so teeny weeny as compared to the huge dinner plates that you usually find. Its all psychological trickery I suppose but I dont care because it waorks for me :)

I'm the opposite... Because I am tall and lanky, I never saw myself as "that" fat, and neither did other people seeing me dressed, they'd say: "oh, you're not that bad, it's all in your head"... except it wasn't.

So now, I don't see myself as having changed that much, I just enjoy the healthier me, it's like recovering from a long illness, I suppose, enjoying the little things I had stopped being able to do, that kind of thing. It's other people who are commenting on how I am melting away, they don't see me for a week and go "wow" the next time. It's nice. :D

I never saw how fat I was until I was thinner. I looked at an old picture and it was like the rose tinted lenses had fallen from my eyes - I looked bigger than I remembered.

Back