• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

havin a lil rant

claudia24

hoping to be a mummy soon
hey everyone, just havin a little rant.

well comin back from the shop my neighbour who lives 5/6 doors down came out, we live on a main road (only a yr or two older, we know each other same school etc.) she said she was at the doctor the other day and heard them talkin bout my bypass n sum injections i needed my b12 (she thought i had a trip bypass :confused:) i asked what day and she sed think it was thursday, well i rang up on thursday for my appointment so thought she overheard the conversation so i asked was they on the phone and she said no, the older one was telling the other one im comin in for my b12 injection because of my bypass, she explained to me that she was in the waiting room with 2 other people and the reception window was open, so now im fumin, first there is no need at all for them to be talking about my bypass to each other at all in any case, secondly its a very private thing and im not accepting anything like well they dint know the window was open, there is no need to talk about anyone who is a patient after they come off the phone especially to each other, what gets said on the phone has nothin to do with the other receptionist at all under no circumstances.

my bypass is very private to me and im getting to the point were now i dont care if people know but im not going to go around shouting about it, but thats just me im a very private person and tend to keep everythin about me to me (and ya'll on here) even people ive known for years and family members dont know but thats cause everyone is a gossip and *****y, especially some family members and thats my aunties lol.

when i see the nurse im going to tell her what happened.

thanks if you got this far.
xx

id put a complaint in thats terrible claudia x

That isn't fair Claudia, hope they learn from this, not good and breach of your private information... they should consider this when talking about patients private information... hope you can effect change so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Much love and hope you feel better for sharing this, I certainly would... take care xxx

youch, this is not good at all, i would put in a complaint to the practice manager, receptionists do pass on information to each other, not just to gossip, but important information, for example when you make the appt for the b12 they might have to make sure that the patient is eligible for the jab, or could cause all sorts of headaches for people, or just to pass info on to colleagues to make sure they dont put their foot in it with the patient.
The part that is done infront of other patients is terrible, and that should be reported, its not professional at all.
PS i am a Doctors receptionist, so dont hate me!

I'd be livid!!! How dare the discuss anyone within earshot of people. What happened to patient confidentiality, discretion & basic decency!!! It takes me back to when I was waiting to see mid-wife at my GP's for an ante-natal appointment & overhead her blatantly gossiping with the receptionist about a girl I know who had just had a mis-carriage! I'm deaf in one ear so if I heard them then every one in the waiting room also did!! I was appalled & told the midwife that when I went in for my check-up. To this day I have never told the girl in question what I had overheard.

It may have been a "harmless" comment but at the end of the day they work in a doctors surgery & should have some discretion!!

I hope you at the very least get an apology....

Take care

im going to ask the nurse for the number of who is incharge tomo, im not sending letters incase it gets ignored, im digusted in them as its private and i now wonder what they sayabout other people.

i would a letter in writing to practice manager, and tell them that you would like a reply or you would take it further.
That normally does the job
xxx

youch, this is not good at all, i would put in a complaint to the practice manager, receptionists do pass on information to each other, not just to gossip, but important information, for example when you make the appt for the b12 they might have to make sure that the patient is eligible for the jab, or could cause all sorts of headaches for people, or just to pass info on to colleagues to make sure they dont put their foot in it with the patient.
The part that is done infront of other patients is terrible, and that should be reported, its not professional at all.
PS i am a Doctors receptionist, so dont hate me!

lol i dont hate you :8855:, i understand they have to pass information, but doing it were other people are around which i know cant be helped as its a doctors surgery they could wait til its quite or speak quite or at least not in the ear shot of other people.

thanks ladies. xx

no problem, a good ticking off hopefully will make them think twice, not a nice thing for you at all.

I think you are right Mona, it's a lapse and a reminder sometimes goes a long way...

So sorry you have had to endure this Claudia...

Good luck with the Practice Manager and much love and hugs on their way to you xxx

aww Bev you are so sweeeeeeet

Reactions: Bev
I think its appalling too! I agree that some information must be shared thats only right but obviously they should act in a proffessional way when discussing patients especially within earshot of others! I would make a formal complaint, not to get them into trouble but to make sure you have done your best to ensure it wont happen again. Maybe an apology is in order. X

How awful I'd be devastated if that were me, you have every right to be angry and upset. It does need reporting so they get a telling off so nobody else has to suffer like you have xxx

What about this one then, the Gp surgery that i work in also happens to be the one that i am registered as a patient at. It has always worked to my advantage, the GPs are nice and can ask their advice or get to see them at any notice at all.
I decided to have my bypass while i am still on maternity leave, i had it done private so needed no input from my GP.
My bypass wasnt a secret, but i only told 3 people at work, one was my friend the nursing sister that would be taking my staples out, and the other 2 are the most discreet people i have ever met, if i confessed a murder they wouldnt say a thing.
Anyway, one of my fellow receptionists is a real gossip, i wouldnt tell her anything that i wouldnt want putting in a newspaper. She is nice as a person, but i just know how much to tell her, and that isnt a lot really.
Well i decided not to tell her immediately, all she goes on about is how she can only afford to go abroad TWICE in year, and her new suite and her new kitchen and her new car, etc and how she has been turned down for gastric surgery as she is not heavy enough. I knew if she knew she would want to go on and on about it.
I made appt to have my staples out, the nurse text me to say this person is on the desk, and if i went to the backdoor, she would let me in so i wouldnt be seen. However i was seen by the receptionist, and while she was too busy to speak we locked eyes. When i left she was nowhere to be seen.
Later that day, nurse txt me to say receptionist knew about my op, the date, and was telling the other staff at the practice. The only way she could have known was by looking at my notes on screen, and i absolutely know she would have done exactly that.
Part of it is my fault for not changing drs when i got the job, i am not willing to say anything as i dont want the boat rocking as we are a very small practice, but the bloody cheek of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooooooooooooh blimey that was a long one, sorry guys!

I would be asking for the name of the practice manager and ringing and following through with a letter detailing your verbal complaint.....

What if you had something seriously embarrassing like an STD or something? This is a total breach of patient confidentiality... While we're on the subject it totally p'ees me off if i have to go into my gp's to get results and have to stand in the waiting/reception area giving my address/name and date of birth out loud to a room full of people of which one could make note and steal my identity...........

It's bad enough when you get questioned as to why you want to see the doctor! You have more than enough right to be well annoyed Claudia. You complain and not just for us but for every patient who is talked about with no respect for privacy or dignity in your surgery!

Back