• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My little rant x

Kevin1708

Century Club
I have decided to keep quiet about my op, save for those who need to know . . . there is a definite mood towards “Well why don’t you just go on a diet or exercise more . . .” I tell people I am grateful for this advice and that I can’t for the life of me imagine why I didn’t think of going on a diet all by myself . . . and then wonder why I would opt to invest £10,000 and undergo major surgery with life changing consequences . . . WOW, to think all along all I needed to do was go on a diet – well I never ! !

A friend of mine who struggles with his weight was heard criticising a friend of his wife for having a band fitted – I have met this lady and she was quite large, I have never spoken with her at any length but I understand that she has dropped 100lb to date and is still going strong . . . my friend was pleased that she had lost weight but poo poo ed her efforts by saying that it was all the band and that he felt surgery was wrong when it could be done naturally – Not mentioning my surgery plans (men, I think are more readily accept if carrying weight – but that is the subject for another rant!), I seized the opportunity to glean an outsider prospective . . . Interestingly, he was supportive of his wife’s friend but felt she would have been better off using Sibutramine and xenical – one being a drug which I understand is banned in the UK (but still available from the good old USA) and is a serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). This acts by altering the chemical balance of the brain ! As for xenical, I bet we could run a thread titled ‘embarrassing moments’! I was surprised he knew of these ‘drugs’ but he confessed that he had been on then both at one time or another . . . My friend is about 3 stone overweight and gaining which he wants to lose but is not really doing anything about it (I guess as there are no trendy drugs available on the NHS at the present time). WLS has become a big industry and will, I feel, become more commonplace and accepted by society – much the same as corrective eye surgery, hip replacement, fertility treatment and so on . . . I am sure in time there will be a procedure considered to be fashionable. Not sure where this rant is going other than to say I think we can be proud of the end result without the ignominy of being judged by others xx

Awww Kev, I have a sister in law like that and she is the very last person I want to know about my wls.

Do it your way, stand by your instincts and do what is right for you bu$ger the rest...

It's choice and the least thing I want is people telling me what is best for me, I worked that out well in advance of my op and have absolutely no regrets, the best move I have made for myself in years.

Love, hugs and keep ranting I'd feel exactly the same. xxx

I'm with you Kevin - my in-laws would never stop going on about it. Thankfully my husband agrees so we're only telling my parents and just hoping we can keep it quiet around the kids.

Some people can be so judgemental and feel they have a right to give out 'advice' but aren't quite so good at taking it... So long as you're happy with your decision that's all that matters x

Kevin, its your journey and your choice. You choose what option is best for you and Im sure anyone who has a modicum on sense would support you ;) XX

Thanks Bev . . . from you ticker you have lost 55lb and your surgery date was end of Jan ~ this is fantastic and the best thing must be to know it isn’t going back on !
I have told my kids what is happening but that is because when I had my ingrown toenail removed my youngest greeted me from the car and ran over my foot with her scooter. Also I have told my eldest stroppy girl (who already knows everything about everything) that I am have the op to increase my life span so I can come and live with her when I am old and infirm AND INCONTINENT . . .

Hi Kev... I've lost around 2stones and 2lbs post op... the rest was pre op... but goodness me it's a relief so far and despite having had cancer, arthritis/spondylitis of the spine, my diabetes is in remission and that is just what I wanted as a starter!

You'll get there precious... and we will be right at your side xxx

Blimy Kevin, you only look like a 'kid' yourself. How old and stroppy can your daughter be lol.
My daughter is 37 gulp! That makes me ancient.
Just call me nana.
Lynne x

How funny! I'm planning on telling them that I have a poorly tummy and taking to my bed for a few days with a 'bug' and my Mam will help out but I expect someone will dive on me at some point and I'll just have to do my best to pretend I'm ok. My eldest can't keep a secret to save her life and would spill the beans immediately. I recently had surgery on my wrist and every child in her class has come up to me in the yard to have a look - I think she likes the drama of people wanting to know what happened.

Plus, I've always been really concerned about my weight even when I was 'a normal size' as my Mam was constantly on a diet. My girls are only 7 and 2 and aren't aware of that stuff yet so I'm hoping to get the surgery done asap before I repeat the cycle.

When I was 21 I was fat lol........I was a fat baby, a fat kid, a fat teenager and a morbidly obese adult :eek: Hopefully Ill be a very slender OAP :D XX

Jacqui - you're already half way there chic x

Me too Jac i was always chubby,Kev stuff him is what I think Its your life,your fat and you will do with it what you like!Diets,drugs,hypnosis,chanting,running round the garden naked dont work!(Ive tried the lot esp the naked garden running!) Maz x

Tbh some people choose to tell people, I myself dont advertise or openly say I have had gastric band , but tbh I wouldnt care if people said I took easy way out or I should have tried harder etc , I had wls for ME and nobody else and if people feel differently or have a problem with it - then thats their problem , I am happy and thats all that matters :)

Hey also only telling hubby& parents & best mate. Not telling my sister( who is large bless her) not telling my kids (10 and 6) and defo not tellin my work! Not tellin in laws who are all super slim size 10 "perfect" people... It's a need to know basis only ;-)
Xx

Ah the problem with 'telling people'. I was and still am very open about it. I have told all my family (not each one individually, but no doubt they talk amongst themselves ;-) ) and all my close friends, few co-workers, and haven't had a single bad response. Now whether everyone was truthful with their response, I don't know and frankly I couldn't care less. This is my life and mine alone, my body, my decision. Unless I ask for your opinion, don't volunteer it, it isn't welcome. That's my motto. May sound a bit harsh but what is it with people thinking they can just blurt out their views and offend people on a topic that is so highly personal and individual and that often involves very serious health issues?

I did have a few lengthy discussions with close friends, who knew nothing about this type of surgery, not to convince them of the (obvious) benefits, but to reassure them about the risks I'm taking. Everyone was happy for me but wanted to know more about it and what it means in terms of risks associated with the surgery.

I didn't tell many folks at work, simply because I don't know people so well here. Also I don't want to be 'watched' whilst I'm having my lunch or buying my food in the canteen! People do get fascinated with this kind of stuff. I have told a few and the rest will soon notice as it's very obvious I'm getting smaller ;-)

Stuff everyone.. do what's best for you. Simples...

I just can't face people questioning me about it. I may feel different after op but like you say it's for me and no one else.

Back