• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My little rant x

Sorry Kevin, couldn't help but laugh when I read that your toe got run over by the scooter! (I'm like that!)
I must admitt, before I thought seriously about WLS, I used to think it was cheating! How wrong was I? So far just as much effort has gone into losing weight as before my band.
With regards to telling people, I have only told my immediate family and one friend. It is none of anyone elses business. And I don't want my band to take all the credit for my huge (please god of fattness) weightloss!

Sorry Kevin, couldn't help but laugh when I read that your toe got run over by the scooter! (I'm like that!)
If you thinks that's bad when I went for my vasectomy the nurse who was doing the pre-op handling and shaving was my parents next door neighbour ! Not only that but when I got home and was sat on the couch nodding off wearing only my shorts (could get away with it them days) the dam cat jumped up and started ‘padding’ . . . I jumped up and he clung on - tut tut can you imagine what I said ! xx

Must admit I'm very much like blue eyes with my telling everyone and not asking for an opinion. I've also told everyone at work that wants to hear and will willing answer all the questions - if they think I've taken the easy route thats their choice I point out to all that I've battled with my weight all my life which is long enough.

We've all got ot do what suits us best and I'm so rubbish at lying I'd forget what I'd said and end up looking even more of a fool lol.

They might make the promise but would they be able to keep it lol.
Lynne xx

They might make the promise but would they be able to keep it lol.
Lynne xx

Haha some of us would have a chuffin good go though LOL :D:D

Pre op I told hardly anyone just in case it didn't happen, post op I've told anyone who wants to know. The way I see it is this, with all the publicity about WLS anyone who has been huge for years who suddenly loses a ton of weight and thinks people won't put two and two together is kidding themselves

I found being honest with people allowed them to be honest with me, and allowed those I care about to support me through this. I have never felt ashamed about my surgery, and yes I agree with people WLS is the easiest way to lose a lot of weight quickly, and have a great chance of keeping it off. I have never taken an ounce of credit for my weight loss that's down to Baz and his team, so again I don't want the credit for their work, I just live the rewards I don't need praise I have the life instead.

Each to their own, this is my way it wouldn't suit everyone

Last edited:
I'm not ashamed of having surgery, I'm just a private person. If I'm asked then I will tell but in the meantime its my business. I have told everybody who means anything to me, which isn't a lot of people as I don't have a large family.
I agree with you that almost everybody knows about bariatric surgery these days and I, like you, don't want praise for anything. I just want to lose weight and lead a normal life once again.

PS I had to re read the first bit of your post, coz I though I had mis-typed my first post and written ' would they be able to keep it up' lol

Lynne x

awh kev!
are you sure you have just dived into my brain!! you said exactly what i think and feel at the minute, but i was just unable to unravel the thoughts in such a poetic way lol ......thank you thank you thank you !! i am not the only one!!

Gosh, thought I had logged in to the wrong forum then!!! You naughty people you xx I posted a few days ago about "to tell or not to tell" - and since reading your comments I have decided its no one elses business but my own. I have told my parents, sister and best friend x 2 who are all very excited for me. My 12 year old also knows I am thinking about it and didnt mind. Havent mentioned it to my 9 year old as not even seen the surgeon yet and could be months!!

Karlos - did you have Mr Ammori?? Do you recommend him? Hopefully that is the man for me!

Yeah I did and of course I'd recommend him, he's the govnor

Ruth Karlos did have Mr Ammori, myself and Bev did too along with a few others :D I know that all three of us would reccommend him without question....he is one of the pioneers of WLS and he has a fine reputation :D He is brill :D XX

I have decided to keep quiet about my op, save for those who need to know . . . there is a definite mood towards “Well why don’t you just go on a diet or exercise more . . .” I tell people I am grateful for this advice and that I can’t for the life of me imagine why I didn’t think of going on a diet all by myself . . . and then wonder why I would opt to invest £10,000 and undergo major surgery with life changing consequences . . . WOW, to think all along all I needed to do was go on a diet – well I never ! !

A friend of mine who struggles with his weight was heard criticising a friend of his wife for having a band fitted – I have met this lady and she was quite large, I have never spoken with her at any length but I understand that she has dropped 100lb to date and is still going strong . . . my friend was pleased that she had lost weight but poo poo ed her efforts by saying that it was all the band and that he felt surgery was wrong when it could be done naturally – Not mentioning my surgery plans (men, I think are more readily accept if carrying weight – but that is the subject for another rant!), I seized the opportunity to glean an outsider prospective . . . Interestingly, he was supportive of his wife’s friend but felt she would have been better off using Sibutramine and xenical – one being a drug which I understand is banned in the UK (but still available from the good old USA) and is a serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). This acts by altering the chemical balance of the brain ! As for xenical, I bet we could run a thread titled ‘embarrassing moments’! I was surprised he knew of these ‘drugs’ but he confessed that he had been on then both at one time or another . . . My friend is about 3 stone overweight and gaining which he wants to lose but is not really doing anything about it (I guess as there are no trendy drugs available on the NHS at the present time). WLS has become a big industry and will, I feel, become more commonplace and accepted by society – much the same as corrective eye surgery, hip replacement, fertility treatment and so on . . . I am sure in time there will be a procedure considered to be fashionable. Not sure where this rant is going other than to say I think we can be proud of the end result without the ignominy of being judged by others xx

I'm LOUD N PROUD!!!!!!!! I love my bypass and will tell anyone who will sit still long enough all about it!
and NO, its no easy way out. Its been flipping hard in fact....but worth all the pain, grief, fear and effort.
Grace

Back