• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having surgery at Sunderland Royal Hospital

Heah

I've decided to start this new thread in order to see who is hoping to have surgery this year at SRH so we can support each other through the trials and tribulations of the all consuming "waiting for the op date", which can completely take over your every thought if you let it... I know I was getting quite obsessional about it for a while :sigh:

I would love to hear from anyone who is hoping to have their surgery around may/june/july/august time so we can chat about the preparations we are making for the life changing op ahead; how we're riding the storm of waiting; and generating an all round positive encouraging attitude to help us through this time of uncertainty.

I know Im struggling with the lack of control by not having a date and not being able to plan anything so far this year especially as we've got my daughters gcse's this summer, her prom, my 25th wedding anniversary and my youngest sons 21st birthday (and that's without any work commitments and things to arrange for my absence from work after op):eek:

I think Im looking at beginning of June for my op, and have resigned myself to the fact that it probably won't be any sooner, on the plus side Im gonna make every day count positively towards it so that I can reap the rewards afterwards.

Look forward to chatting to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation so that we can encourage each other.

Helen. x

goofy07

I am hoping to have mine in about 8 weeks. Have balloon at the minute which is being removed on Wednesday and then about 8 weeks after that.

It's been a long journey over 2 years. I lack control so am obsessed with the scales to make sure I keep my weight down. The balloon has not really worked for me no restriction at all so have had to focus on my eating with a few hiccups along the way

The prospect of the operation is exciting as well as scary buying know this is a must for me or due youngish!!

We can all get each other through this xx

Heah

Good luck for wednesday..... with your op only 8 weeks you are bound to go through a whole gamete of emotions... let's know how things go. Xx

Heah

Hi Borogirl, have you took the waiting time in your stride or has it taken over .... lol, fingers crossed you'll hear soon. Xx

novamay

Born Free
Hi. I am hoping the end of Feb at SRH although no date yet! Gastroscopy 29 aug x

Hi Borogirl - if you've not heard from them or had any information through the post despite all the calls that you've made, I think its time to email or speak to PALS considering that its 1st Feb this Friday. I had to do that in the end to get my review date with Mr M.

linz77

I'm at Sunderland too,consultant told me I should have it done in march but the nurses have said it will probably be may, I got a letter off them last week with the milk diet in,which was a lovely surprise. I seem to have been in the system an awful long time.my consultant was mr mahawar(sorry if I've spelt it wrong) but I've now got mr Small. :)

caraline

Hiya Heah, I am due to have a bypass at srh around March to April time. I had my endoscopy at the end of November last year. Like Lynz77 said, I was also under Mr Mahawar too. and now have Mr Small. I also got my milk diet through the Post 2 weeks ago. I got all excited because I no I must be so far down there list. good luck on your journey heah x

linz77

Can I ask how you have Mr Small instead of Mr Mahawar?? X

Don't know, just noticed on the letter that I got when I met my surgeon had MR Small at the bottom of it instead of mr mahawar . I didn't meet him until he did my gastroscopy but he is a lovely man and I feel completely at ease that he's taken me on, maybe mahawars list was getting too big, I had 2 appointments cancelled by him putting my surgery back this far(should have been done last year) . So maybe mr small is easing the load a little :)

LubiLu

I suppose I shouldn't really comment here, but I had my op at SRH in August. I waited weeks without any letters, so decided to call them. At the time (I'm not sure what it's like now) they were having a problem with Admin. If you are having any concerns, just call them. Speak to your Surgeons secretary and they should have the info.

Goofy- I had a balloon put in and from the day it was taken out, I only waited 6 weeks for the op. They try to do them as quick as possible after balloon removal, to give the best chance of no weight gain.
They don't expect you to lose any more weight either, just not to put on. You'll lose some on the milk diet anyway.

Good Luck all, with your operations, you'll do great x

goofy07

I suppose I shouldn't really comment here, but I had my op at SRH in August. I waited weeks without any letters, so decided to call them. At the time (I'm not sure what it's like now) they were having a problem with Admin. If you are having any concerns, just call them. Speak to your Surgeons secretary and they should have the info.

Goofy- I had a balloon put in and from the day it was taken out, I only waited 6 weeks for the op. They try to do them as quick as possible after balloon removal, to give the best chance of no weight gain.
They don't expect you to lose any more weight either, just not to put on. You'll lose some on the milk diet anyway.

Good Luck all, with your operations, you'll do great x

Hope it will only 6 weeks but friend was there last week and told at least 8 weeks!! Getting excited now

LubiLu

I had mine balloon taken out by Mr Mahawar and he said 2 months. I thought that seemed a long time, especially if I had to keep the weight off, but I phoned a couple of weeks later and they had booked my in. I've just checked and it was 5 weeks and 5 days, between balloon out and op.
It'll fly by though, whatever happens.
Remember, you've waited this long- not long left!!!

borogirl

Hi Borogirl, have you took the waiting time in your stride or has it taken over .... lol, fingers crossed you'll hear soon. Xx

Hi it's been a nightmare, weight up and down! Nearly there I hope! I have called the secretaries weekly. If I had known I would have gone closer to home but they wouldn't let me transfer. Or maybe gone private. But I am nearly there I hope!!! X

Heah

Hi Borogirl, have you found it easy to get the weight off as you go up and down. I need to get about 5lb off before i see them again, im struggling to get my head round it post xmas and with this cold weather. I'll get there but sometimes struggle to keep motivated and not having a never ending date in sight isnt helpful... suppose we've just gotta dig a bit deeper, do what we need to do and get a different perspective on the remaining weeks of being pre-op. X

borogirl

Hi Borogirl, have you found it easy to get the weight off as you go up and down. I need to get about 5lb off before i see them again, im struggling to get my head round it post xmas and with this cold weather. I'll get there but sometimes struggle to keep motivated and not having a never ending date in sight isnt helpful... suppose we've just gotta dig a bit deeper, do what we need to do and get a different perspective on the remaining weeks of being pre-op. X

Hi I was struggling but did 2 weeks strict Atkins find it fell off. I need to loose 2-3 lb but am ok. I lost the 9lb I had put back in doing Atkins. Being given a date would let you focus, it's cracking me up! I ring Mr Small and Mr Schroder? Secretaries every week and am told they don't have a date. I was told to expect a call this week but I will ring again Thurs to make sure. If anyone is early in the process try to transfer as 6 months between appointments is too much.
I don't even know who will be going the op! I will ask this week when I call AGAIN.
Best of luck!!

kellyhymas

Hello i had the camera done 2 weeks ago and was told on the day operation would be aprox 6 months. on waiting list now. not heard a thing since then. disheartening not knowing what is going on. looking at june/july time if 6 months is the correct time scale. x

Heah

Borogirl, I was gonna start the slimfast diet and see if that helps. Ive also decided to join a new gym... well truth is i actually just swim.. lol, occasionally i use the treadmill and free weights but its the swimming i find most helpful..

Kelly you may not hear for a while but remember it should be approx 26 weeks from being listed. Good luck xx

borogirl

Hi best of luck with weightloss. This part of the process comes around fast, but we are cogs in the system and from my discussions with the secretaries, things will NOT be rushed. I have said I can be an emergency, I ring different secretaries, I hound them. But alas NO date. Just enjoy your "normal" time and don't wait for the post as NOTHING arrives!
Xx