• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having surgery at Sunderland Royal Hospital

Hi Helen, I'm hopefully getting bypass in may had my endoscopy on nov 24th. Got my milk diet last week I went into panic mode as I've put weight on so I rang the nurse said would still be 6 month wait from when they saw me but be ready just in case of cancelation so I'm on the slim fast lol.

Edwinax

Well done Borogirl and Goofy on getting your dates..... keep us informed of what happens. Xx
Btw has everyone who has had endoscopy consented to surgery at the endo appt?? X

Think so, was sedated therefore would be surprised if this consent would stand as "under the influence" ...

Edd I've had to start slimfast too to get rid of xmas/cold weather weight.... suppose it'll be a precurser to the milk diet... x

Edd I've had to start slimfast too to get rid of xmas/cold weather weight.... suppose it'll be a precurser to the milk diet... x

Just wish i had a date been a long 18 months!!! Hard to keep my weight down every day is a strugglexx

Just wish i had a date been a long 18 months!!! Hard to keep my weight down every day is a strugglexx

I know Edd is really hard. Keep it up though as you will get there has taken me over 2 years since referral so keep positive I did think that it was never going to come

Hi Helen!

I have just seen consultant at SRH today and Dr Balpuri is going to refer me for endo then will be put on list. He wouldn't tell me how long it would be for either the endo or the op so wondering if you or anyone else has any idea on waiting times???
I'm a teacher and not wanting to take a lot of time off work, to be honest dont want them to know why i am having surgery at all so kind of hoping it will fall on summer hols but guess that would just be too lucky!!

Hope you are well and coping with the wait. Have you had an endo? Wasn't sure if everyone needed it? xx

Hi Vicki,

Glad your appointment went well.... the waiting times are very variable in my opinion, when I had my appointment with Mr Mahawar on July 4th, I expected to receive an endoscopy apt approx. 6 weeks later, in actual fact it was five month!!! I was not impressed, and despite trying to talk to his secretary who by the way is lovely, I got no where... I work as a midwife Vicki and would really appreciate having a chance to plan around my surgery date however not knowing is just a nightmare... quite honestly I can't get my head round it, and Im finding the not knowing to be the worst bit. xx

Hello. It was ok but the pre assessment isn't with the bariatric team, just general nurse who was lovely but couldn't answer queries on the pre op diet. It ran late so it took over 2hours, mostly waiting.
They stressed if I had put even 1lb on then the surgeon can decide not to operate. Luckily I had lost 4lb. People- take this seriously as it could involve another long wait!!
Blood pressure, bloods taken and that's about it. I was a bit disappointed as needed to know what flavour I can add to milk as I can tolerate shakes but not milk but I will ring the team tomorrow.
I went shopping at Dalton park on the way home. I haven't bought any clothes for 6months knowing this was coming up. Can't wait to shop!!! Thanks for asking xx

Well im pleased to say ive finally got my head into gear, been this afternoon and joined the gym, did an hour swim and aqua exercises which iused to do at aquafit last year.... looking forward to loosing these last few pounds and keeping them off until my op. Xxx

was lovely reading all your stories im just at the start of my journey :) just had my first appointment with nurse and said i would recieve next appoinment for a couple of months time when i will see DR Small, and suggesting i have a gastroscopy. It seems like a long process but Rome wasnt built in a day :D xxx

Well the update on my progress is that I am expecting to go in for op 2nd week in April, still waiting for date.... still only 7 weeks to go!!! (As per Secretary)

Im back to needing to give myself a shake, don't know what's up with me. can't ring the secretary again, its getting embarrassing..lol, but the uncertainty is most definitely the worst bit of this journey. Is anyone else experiencing this being blown about on the winds of uncertainty.... ive done so well for so long and feel im at risk of messing up at this final hurdle xx

Well the update on my progress is that I am expecting to go in for op 2nd week in April, still waiting for date.... still only 7 weeks to go!!! (As per Secretary)

Im back to needing to give myself a shake, don't know what's up with me. can't ring the secretary again, its getting embarrassing..lol, but the uncertainty is most definitely the worst bit of this journey. Is anyone else experiencing this being blown about on the winds of uncertainty.... ive done so well for so long and feel im at risk of messing up at this final hurdle xx

I'm going through the same, I've taken to staying in bed on my days off,so I don't eat,very low and depressed,just wish it was all over, I should have had the op last year but because of them cancelling 2 major appointments its been pushed back till (I was told march,by mr small) may .im gutted and if I can't get my huge backside into gear ,I'll fall at this "final hurdle". When did you have your gastroscopy done ,? X

I feel exactly the same my opp hopefully may as i had mt endoscopy nov 24th, just wished they'd give me a date everyday i hope i have a letter totally feel in limbo. Im going to the darlington coffee meeting tomorrow think it will b good to actually talked to other people going through exactly the same.
Edwinax

Thanks for the posts ladies, it shows us that most of us are experiencing the same problems, Im going try and get my head into gear this week... after my nightshifts... lol, and motivate myself and hopefully we can motivate each other.

In answer to the question of when I had my endoscopy, it was 11th December, it should of been end of August yet despite pushing them I got messed about further, in the end I had another appointment with the consultant who said exactly the same thing as he had done on 4th July... my personal feeling is that I have had to do an awful lot of sorting things out to ensure I didnt slip any further behind than the five months.

I'm having my gallbladder removed as well as a bypass, I have been told it may be that my gallbladder is removed and I have to come back in 6 weeks for the bypass, I am not too happy about that as there are clear risks to having general anaethesia, so Im hoping and praying that they are both done together...

Linz, I hope next day off you have you don't stay in bed, try drinking plenty of water, they recommend 2.5 litres per day to help weightloss, and stave off hunger.. Im gonna start sorting through my wardrobe on my next day off so I can make way for the smaller size stuff that Im gonna be buying... another mad mental thought I had the other day whilst at the metro centre...was to buy one of the sale items in Debenhams which had 70% off and hang it up so after surgery I could keep trying it on until it fit... I had in mind a very glitzy dress that I had seen.. lol xx

Edwina, I think its great that you have gone along to the darlington support group, Im sure the lady who has organised it is called Christine as ive seen her on this forum and the sunderland one... I havent been to any of the support groups at sunderland yet, I would like to but... something always crops up... Let me know how it went, it may motivate me to make more effort to get to one. xx

so here's to another week of uncertainty, however, this week we are not alone, at least 3 of us are facing the same battles, so lets make this week a good one. If any progress is made in terms of pre-ops or op dates it a fab bonus, if theres none then its been a slightly easier week in the wls journey race to the finish, thinking about it more positively than negatively... We are nearly there ladies, to just need to refocus and keep heading for that finishline.

Love and best wishes for the weeks ahead.
Helen. x

I'm having my gallbladder removed as well as a bypass said:
I was also going to have my gallbladder out at the same time but after a discussion with Mr Small 3 weeks since around the frequency of attacks etc it was decided to just do the bypass even though my gallbladder is so full of gallstones that there isn't any room for bile!!

Hope they have made the right decision for me as I can remember the horrendous pain I get when it's bad and don't want to go there again.

Roll on 19th March

Back