• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having surgery at Sunderland Royal Hospital

Edd

Hi helen, it was lovely to meet people going through exactly the same as you. Going to go to the next one its 9th march i think i hope you can make it. I had my gallbladder out 13yrs ago i remember the pain like yesterday horrific!! Best thing ive had done hopefully i'l b saying the same thing about bypass lol.
Thanx
Edwinaxx

linz77

Thanks for the posts ladies, it shows us that most of us are experiencing the same problems, Im going try and get my head into gear this week... after my nightshifts... lol, and motivate myself and hopefully we can motivate each other.

In answer to the question of when I had my endoscopy, it was 11th December, it should of been end of August yet despite pushing them I got messed about further, in the end I had another appointment with the consultant who said exactly the same thing as he had done on 4th July... my personal feeling is that I have had to do an awful lot of sorting things out to ensure I didnt slip any further behind than the five months.

I'm having my gallbladder removed as well as a bypass, I have been told it may be that my gallbladder is removed and I have to come back in 6 weeks for the bypass, I am not too happy about that as there are clear risks to having general anaethesia, so Im hoping and praying that they are both done together...

Linz, I hope next day off you have you don't stay in bed, try drinking plenty of water, they recommend 2.5 litres per day to help weightloss, and stave off hunger.. Im gonna start sorting through my wardrobe on my next day off so I can make way for the smaller size stuff that Im gonna be buying... another mad mental thought I had the other day whilst at the metro centre...was to buy one of the sale items in Debenhams which had 70% off and hang it up so after surgery I could keep trying it on until it fit... I had in mind a very glitzy dress that I had seen.. lol xx

Edwina, I think its great that you have gone along to the darlington support group, Im sure the lady who has organised it is called Christine as ive seen her on this forum and the sunderland one... I havent been to any of the support groups at sunderland yet, I would like to but... something always crops up... Let me know how it went, it may motivate me to make more effort to get to one. xx

so here's to another week of uncertainty, however, this week we are not alone, at least 3 of us are facing the same battles, so lets make this week a good one. If any progress is made in terms of pre-ops or op dates it a fab bonus, if theres none then its been a slightly easier week in the wls journey race to the finish, thinking about it more positively than negatively... We are nearly there ladies, to just need to refocus and keep heading for that finishline.

Love and best wishes for the weeks ahead.
Helen. x

Thanks Helen , onwards and upwards (not the weight lol ) thank you for being so positive ,big hugs Linsey xx

Heah

Todays Update....

Got my date!!!!! Yay... four weeks tomorrow, Tuesday 2nd April 2013. Im really happy about it, it feels as though its been a long time coming but now Ive got a date to focus towards..

Ive managed to get swimming again today and have started a strict diet incase Im called into my preop soon... lol, still got a couple of pounds to shed. By my reckoning, I should start my liver reducing diet on 22 or 23 March.

As Im off work on hols this week, I'll get everything sorted that I need for a hospital bag.

Hope everyone is ok, feel free if you wanna ask anything. xxx

Edd

Heah thats brill bet you cannot believe it! When did uou have endoscopy and did you get a letter or did they ring. I had endoscopy 24th nov they said it would be six months so just waiting th hear.
Thanx edwinax

Heah

Edwina, I rang them this morning... very long story... basically got the bums rush the first time, but was told to contact the secretary who immediately told me they dont deal with op dates anymore... halleluia, it was getting cringe worthy embarassing having to speak to them and state my case... so I spoke to a guy called Dave in booked appointments. As soon as I said my name he told me my date.... another halleluia!!!, I couldn't believe it. Finally, its real, its gonna happen.

If you remember they delayed my endo by 5 months which I was not too impressed with and finally got the go ahead and walked into the endo appt and made the appt over the counter for Dec 11th, so I feel as if ive had a lot of messing about, and my op date is just a little longer than the 6 month it should have been if everything had not been messed up... if that makes sense.

How are you doing Ed? Get on the phone at 9am in the morning if you can. Hope your ok. xxxx

Edd

So pleased for you its starting to be on my mind 24/7 just would feel better with a date. Who do i ring to get through to bookings. Are you going to darlington coffee meet i am i went to the last one but it was snowing so not so many turned up but it was lovely to meet others going through the exactley the same so would love to meet you.
Edwinax

Heah

Edwina, I think its too far for me to go to Darlington, am not sure exactly how far it is mind from South Shields.. are you on the sunderland forum? The number is the main hospital one and ask for Dave on booked admissions. If you fancy a trip to the metro centre I could meet you there, or if you have fb we could hook up...

I have read about the Darlo group, all good reports, the lady that set it seems lovely, she always has positive posts which I appreciate. Let me know how you get on, and if your on the SRH forum. xx

Edd

Orr thats a shame but south sheilds is a bit away, im not on facebook just come on this forum im crap with internet lol. Would love to meet up. Going to give them a call first thing so will let you no how i get on fingers crossed i get a date.
Edwinax

linz77

Todays Update....

Got my date!!!!! Yay... four weeks tomorrow, Tuesday 2nd April 2013. Im really happy about it, it feels as though its been a long time coming but now Ive got a date to focus towards..

Ive managed to get swimming again today and have started a strict diet incase Im called into my preop soon... lol, still got a couple of pounds to shed. By my reckoning, I should start my liver reducing diet on 22 or 23 March.

As Im off work on hols this week, I'll get everything sorted that I need for a hospital bag.

Hope everyone is ok, feel free if you wanna ask anything. xxx

Hi there, that's fantastic news, congratulations.
I went to the support meeting in Sunderland it was great, I was so nervous but everyone was so lovely, it would be really useful for you if you could go to the one at the end of march (just before your opp) they'll give you loads of advice about do's and don'ts, they added me to the Facebook page (you are welcome to look me up,my pro pic is a tiger) that they've got and that's been amazing reading people's journeys .
I'm still waiting for news, but I suppose that everyday that goes by its another day closer to my new life, take care
Linz xx

caraline

Thats great news Heah, you take care hun x

borogirl

Pleased you got your date. The staff were all so lovely at Sunderland. Start freezing those dinners and soups ready for post op! Best of luck x

Heah

Lynsey I knew that was you, you must have gathered who I am now with my recent post. Xx

Heah

Borogirl, if you feel up to it can you talk me through what to expect from arriving in hospital, going down for op and eventually being discharged home and what medication you got to come home with. Please and Thankyou xxxx

caraline

Heah, I was thinking about ringing sunderland in the morning, to see if theirs been any cancellations. I hope I can get in early. fingers crossed

Edd

I rang yesterday and did what heah said spoke to a lovely bloke but he said im looking at 6 month frm endoscopy so opp will prop b 23may:( he did say they were operating on sat and sundays now so might be little early, told him i can take any cancellation im so desperate just want it done so i can get on with my new journey.
Edwinax

caraline

thanx edd, That when I am due around then. I just could do with it been done a bit earlier. My daughters Prom is in June and I am a bit worried I wont be fit enough to get her ready for the big event.

Edd

I go away every year with me sister beginning of june its all booked and paid for so just hope i do go in when they say but pray its even before that date.
Edwinax

Heah

Edwina 23rd May will be here before you know it. You might get a cancellation before that. Keep focused for this last bit of the journey. Xxxx

Caraline good luck with the phonecall.... let us know how you got on. Xx

maxy42

My seminar was June 11, oct 11 for dietian and April 12 appointment with consultant, however Cancelled further two appointments offered and CANCELLED, managed to finially get appoint August 12, Camara Oct 12 and Sleep app test Oct. Advised would be on list Oct 12- Many calls still no luck. Finially found put on the list on the 21 feb 13 op anticipated 22 August 26 weeks. Thought of speaking to PALs but not sure what they can do. 5 month delay as sleep app test not sent to mr Small however both consultants have access to my notes as both in the same hosptial.... any advice.

linz77

My seminar was June 11, oct 11 for dietian and April 12 appointment with consultant, however Cancelled further two appointments offered and CANCELLED, managed to finially get appoint August 12, Camara Oct 12 and Sleep app test Oct. Advised would be on list Oct 12- Many calls still no luck. Finially found put on the list on the 21 feb 13 op anticipated 22 August 26 weeks. Thought of speaking to PALs but not sure what they can do. 5 month delay as sleep app test not sent to mr Small however both consultants have access to my notes as both in the same hosptial.... any advice.

I've had a very similar experience ,please don't feel like your alone on this cause I've heard of a few people that its happened to. My seminar was may 11 and wasn't put on the list till November 12 because they cancelled 2 of my appointments ( one in feb 12 the next one was June 12,finally got to see one of the consultants trainees in oct 12) it truly is the worst roller coaster ever , I've put on weight and took it off so many times over the past 2 yrs ,its driving me insane .all they say at srh is to be patient, :((((