• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having WLS in Jan 2017

Thank you lovely for the feedback...its silly isnt it...Im 40 yrs old (well until tomorrow when I turn 41!!) and I'm worried about these kinds of things. Im the mother of everyone so when something is happening to me I go to bits lol xxx Oh well time for me for once isn't bad xx

Glad our doing so well...its nice to have inspiration :) keeps me going xx
Happy Birthday Angelina!
Have a great day sweetie.

I understand what you mean completely, I'm everyone's mother too and that's more reason to do something totally for you! Since 2 days pre opening, I honestly can't stop smiling.

Shannon - you're right in what you say, everyone does have an opinion, but ultimately it's not about anyone else, it's about you, how you feel and the decision you're making for yourself!

You're looking after your future health - well done sweetheart!!!

Finally - weighed in this morning now 13lbs down 10 days post op. xx

Im having a gastric sleeve done! - Can't wait... wish it would hurry up; the wait is so long!!!! - Initially my partner didn't want me to do it, mostly everyone said I could do it naturally but they don't understand how bad of a relationship I have with food! - My Mum has been amazing, she's seen what I've had to go through in the years (I'm 21) so bullying, depression etc so she really has helped put my mind at ease. My partner and everyone has now accepted that I am having it done and are supportive... I just can't wait for the results to show on the scales!!

Happy Birthday by the way!!:candle1:;):p
Thank you lovely for the birthday wishes xxxxx

I love your energy about your sleeve operation :) !!!! It's gonna be good and a new start xxx eeeekkk exciting xxxx

Last edited:
I was sent a link by a friend who was worried (to another forum) yesterday and I'm a mess now...people posting about long term complications of bypass and horror stories....I'm not in good place after not sleeping well....who on here has had a gastric bypass and long term doing well ?? I soooo need reassurance at this moment that I'm doing the right thing xxx

Hi Angeline,

What did I say about overreading? Lol

You're frightened and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but think back to how you got to your decision.

How many of this type of surgery are carried out on a daily basis and what % goes wrong? You will
Find very very few do (people always like to tell you their horror stories) but I think if you had the figures in front of you, you'd see the odds stacked in your favour.

Read some successful before and after stories, fill your head with the positive only, don't let anyone tell you about there aunt's sisters aunties cousin who had a crap time!!! Acknowledge there are risks, but they are small... and the benefits you will have in the long run far outweigh any risk!!!!!

YOU WILL BE FINE!!

There are risks with everything - but there are also risks of staying morbidly obese long term! My decision to have the op was helped because I wanted to make these changes before I had too many long term issues from obesity - I wanted my health back. I knew I had tried tried and tried again to lose weight and keep it off but I was stuck in a vicious circle of losing and gaining the same 3 stone each year!

Only you can make the decision for what is best for you.

What were some of these complications? Maybe people on here can help you out/ look at them logically?

Your right and I know my friend was just looking out for me....it has scared me half to death and I'm all a mess....gonna need to calm myself to a panic lol!!!
I Was reading posts from a historical point of view to see how people have done in the future post surgery ( years on) and very few were positive xxx I'm trying to hold on to the positive ones as your right people always like to share the negatives and what aunt Betsy second cousin twice removed had gone wrong....lol xxx

Thanks for your reply post to keep me grounded xxxx

Happy new year lovely xx

There are risks with everything - but there are also risks of staying morbidly obese long term! My decision to have the op was helped because I wanted to make these changes before I had too many long term issues from obesity - I wanted my health back. I knew I had tried tried and tried again to lose weight and keep it off but I was stuck in a vicious circle of losing and gaining the same 3 stone each year!

Only you can make the decision for what is best for you.

What were some of these complications? Maybe people on here can help you out/ look at them logically?

Your right lovely xx

Some of the high end complications were:

Severe malnutrition (via not being left a pouch being the most frightening)
Severe tummy pains/cramps
Ongoing nausea and vomiting (for years in some cases)
Regular Iron infusions
Ulcers
Calcium malnourishment causing sore joints and teeth loss....I like my teeth lol xxx
Extreme hair loss...I have lovely dark hair and this worried me :-/ eeekkk!!!

Now I know medical advancements have happened since then so how vitamins so just need to make sure I take these each day xx

Anyone got anymore advice please xxx

I am 21 months out from my bypass and have never regretted it for a minute. I have recently gained a little bit of weight but I am dealing with it...nothing to do with the op, just my head.

I think you would have to go to the worst surgeon in the world to be left with no pouch!!!! Yes there are people who have malnutrition issues but there are far more success stories.

Tummy cramps etc can be from dumping...I am quite lucky that I don't dump very often but have had a couple of episodes of excruciating pain but it is short lived

I have only vomited twice and on both occasions it was because I tried to shove in too much food. I get nausea sometimes...usually caused by not reading the sugar content of something.

Most of the others can be dealt with by taking your post op meds and supplements. B12 injections are recommended every 3 months...I have never had to have one. Even though I can be forgetful about taking my meds I have just had all my levels checked and everything is within normal range.

As you rightly said, medicine advances all the time and you only have to read posts on here to see the different advice given to people by their surgeons. Listen to your team...follow their rules and you will be fine.

Best of luck
Lynn x

I am 21 months out from my bypass and have never regretted it for a minute. I have recently gained a little bit of weight but I am dealing with it...nothing to do with the op, just my head.

I think you would have to go to the worst surgeon in the world to be left with no pouch!!!! Yes there are people who have malnutrition issues but there are far more success stories.

Tummy cramps etc can be from dumping...I am quite lucky that I don't dump very often but have had a couple of episodes of excruciating pain but it is short lived

I have only vomited twice and on both occasions it was because I tried to shove in too much food. I get nausea sometimes...usually caused by not reading the sugar content of something.

Most of the others can be dealt with by taking your post op meds and supplements. B12 injections are recommended every 3 months...I have never had to have one. Even though I can be forgetful about taking my meds I have just had all my levels checked and everything is within normal range.

As you rightly said, medicine advances all the time and you only have to read posts on here to see the different advice given to people by their surgeons. Listen to your team...follow their rules and you will be fine.

Best of luck
Lynn x

Thanks for advice Lynn xxx

I'm on panic.com I think as well as it is a big change. It's so good to hear your journey Lynn and it's come at such the right time xxx

Happy new year lovely xxx

Your right lovely xx

Some of the high end complications were:

Severe malnutrition (via not being left a pouch being the most frightening)
Severe tummy pains/cramps
Ongoing nausea and vomiting (for years in some cases)
Regular Iron infusions
Ulcers
Calcium malnourishment causing sore joints and teeth loss....I like my teeth lol xxx
Extreme hair loss...I have lovely dark hair and this worried me :-/ eeekkk!!!

Now I know medical advancements have happened since then so how vitamins so just need to make sure I take these each day xx

Anyone got anymore advice please xxx

Hi @Angeline, you have already seen the post from Lynn and what she says is a lot of sense, there will be complications for some people but the success stories will outnumber them. The malnutrition etc is a known issue and that is why your GP should monitor you with regular blood tests after you have been discharged from your surgeon/team. Are you having your surgery with the NHS?

I know someone who is about 5 years out from a by-pass now and has had severe iron deficiency so she has had transfusions, but she doesn't take any multivitamins or calcium tablets so I have very little sympathy! I would just take note of these issues and use them as a reminder as to how important it is to follow your teams instructions and take the supplements as well as eating a healthy diet. I am taking the surgery as my reset button - the large weightloss to get me to a healthier weight and then it is down to me to follow a healthy lifestyle and make sure I stay there! The surgery alone wont solve our issues, we still have to work at it.

Ulcers - this is why post surgery it is important to take the lansoprazole or equivalent tablets to help prevent ulcers, also if you have any pain or issues it is important to go and let your GP or team know so that they can investigate early. Nausea and vomiting I cant help on, sometimes there are complications called strictures where the openings get too small and it might be necessary to stretch them with a balloon. Over eating, eating too fast, eating too much fat can cause nausea, I don't think it is common for people to have nausea or pain all the time.

I do have some upper abdominal pain since my surgery and it looks like I will have to have an exploratory op to see if I have adhesions or scar tissue - but again, would I do it all again if I had the chance..... absolutely. For all the benefits for me outweigh the issues.

It is important to make sure that you eat enough protein as soon as possible after the op - I struggle a bit but I am getting better. The level of protein will help reduce the hairloss as well, I also have nuts everyday which have levels of selenium (I believe) as well as protein, which will help to limit the hair loss - you can also take supplements as well. I have been lucky so far, I am losing some but not massive amounts, it will differ from person to person though. However, if you said to me, which would you prefer, to lose some hair and be 5 stone lighter, or have no hair loss and still be 5 stone heavier, I know which one I would choose!!!

The most important thing I would like to say though is please make sure you have some level of counselling/psychological support after surgery, I would never have thought I would find it useful but it is the most important thing for me at the moment - there is so much adjustment that goes on dealing with changes in yourself, changes in clothes, letting go of the old clothes that don't fit anymore, dealing with food issues, missing finishing a plateful of food, dealing with throwing food away, it is all so alien to us that it can be hard to deal with. I highly recommend if you haven't got any support with your package finding some counselling support for at least the next 6 months to a year. There is no point having the surgery if we don't commit to make the effort to use the surgery tool to the best we possibly can.

Hi @Angeline, you have already seen the post from Lynn and what she says is a lot of sense, there will be complications for some people but the success stories will outnumber them. The malnutrition etc is a known issue and that is why your GP should monitor you with regular blood tests after you have been discharged from your surgeon/team. Are you having your surgery with the NHS?

I know someone who is about 5 years out from a by-pass now and has had severe iron deficiency so she has had transfusions, but she doesn't take any multivitamins or calcium tablets so I have very little sympathy! I would just take note of these issues and use them as a reminder as to how important it is to follow your teams instructions and take the supplements as well as eating a healthy diet. I am taking the surgery as my reset button - the large weightloss to get me to a healthier weight and then it is down to me to follow a healthy lifestyle and make sure I stay there! The surgery alone wont solve our issues, we still have to work at it.

Ulcers - this is why post surgery it is important to take the lansoprazole or equivalent tablets to help prevent ulcers, also if you have any pain or issues it is important to go and let your GP or team know so that they can investigate early. Nausea and vomiting I cant help on, sometimes there are complications called strictures where the openings get too small and it might be necessary to stretch them with a balloon. Over eating, eating too fast, eating too much fat can cause nausea, I don't think it is common for people to have nausea or pain all the time.

I do have some upper abdominal pain since my surgery and it looks like I will have to have an exploratory op to see if I have adhesions or scar tissue - but again, would I do it all again if I had the chance..... absolutely. For all the benefits for me outweigh the issues.

It is important to make sure that you eat enough protein as soon as possible after the op - I struggle a bit but I am getting better. The level of protein will help reduce the hairloss as well, I also have nuts everyday which have levels of selenium (I believe) as well as protein, which will help to limit the hair loss - you can also take supplements as well. I have been lucky so far, I am losing some but not massive amounts, it will differ from person to person though. However, if you said to me, which would you prefer, to lose some hair and be 5 stone lighter, or have no hair loss and still be 5 stone heavier, I know which one I would choose!!!

The most important thing I would like to say though is please make sure you have some level of counselling/psychological support after surgery, I would never have thought I would find it useful but it is the most important thing for me at the moment - there is so much adjustment that goes on dealing with changes in yourself, changes in clothes, letting go of the old clothes that don't fit anymore, dealing with food issues, missing finishing a plateful of food, dealing with throwing food away, it is all so alien to us that it can be hard to deal with. I highly recommend if you haven't got any support with your package finding some counselling support for at least the next 6 months to a year. There is no point having the surgery if we don't commit to make the effort to use the surgery tool to the best we possibly can.

Thanks for advice hunny xxx I'm a NHS patient so unsure on differences...what are the differences? I've been looking into today as this is a question that has popped into my head today lol xxx

Most NHS patients have had to go through quite a journey so tend to be quite well prepared for surgery. Also means in general you should have a reasonable follow up after surgery re. Blood tests etc. Although not all NHS patients are given psychological support post surgery which is a shame.

Most NHS patients have had to go through quite a journey so tend to be quite well prepared for surgery. Also means in general you should have a reasonable follow up after surgery re. Blood tests etc. Although not all NHS patients are given psychological support post surgery which is a shame.

The psychological team have been good so far to be honest.... I wish they could have booked an appointment in between consultant visit and surgery to ensure your ok ...if you know what I mean xxx I need to ask about post surgery as I think you need it with all the changes etc xxx

I would ask them, it might be that they only give apts if you feel you need them, or they might be able to arrange some for you. Definitely worth finding out! Good luck!

I would ask them, it might be that they only give apts if you feel you need them, or they might be able to arrange some for you. Definitely worth finding out! Good luck!
Good idea Hannah xxx

Will ring them tomorrow and let you know xxx

Hi guys, hope your all okay. How did all your post op diets go.
I've started the milk diet today and I'm struggling so bad. Not that I'm hungry but the milks making me feel sick. I don't no how I'm going to do this for a month if I'm like this on the 1st day.

a month ! wow I only have to do it for 10 days I am 7 days in and have found having the milk hot with a little canderel I bit more pallet friendly

I'm really struggling. Vomiting after every glass of milk. I've always hated milk!
Has anyone done the low calorie diet before the bypass or sleeve surgery. If I started the low calorie diet would it affect my surgery in anyways. Also what's more helpful the milk or low calorie. Or is it the same?

Thank you so much for that. I was really stressing over it. I started the milk diet a day early so I guess that it should be fine if I just do the low calorie diet from tomorrow. Thank you again x

Back