• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello everyone - so sorry i havent been on...........

:D ....... to tell you about my bypass - but i am all done and dusted!!!
Where do i start, well its 4 weeks on Wednesday since my op and i am feeling absolutely great. I am not going to lie, i was a bit ropey for the first couple of weeks, but i don't think it was entirely because of the bypass. I also had my gall bladder removed and the surgeons told me that it was "a difficult surgery" - they didn't elaborate on what "difficult" was, but i felt like they had all been jumping all over my belly like a tramoline, lol :8855:
Anyway i will start from when i went into Hospital, (i am doing this because i love reading peoples experiences, and hope you do too!).
After doing my pre-op diet for 2 weeks and loosing 16 lbs (which i was over the moon with!!) i had a BMI of 34 on the day i was admitted for my op.
I had to be in hospital for 11am on 15th July at the Spire Hospital Murrayfield. I would just like to say at this point that they were all unbelievably fantastic!! I can't thank them all enough! I was treated so well and they put me at ease when quite frankly i just wanted to leg it out the door! lol
Anyway i got there at 10.45 and straight away i was taken to my room. It was lovely with my own en-suite too - woo hoo!.
Within the first hour i had had my blood taken, blood pressure taken, and all the usual tests and forms completed, when in came the lovely Mr MacAdam (i will be eternally in his debt!). He told me i was the only surgery that day for him and asked me would 1.30 be ok?? Well of course that was great as by now it was 12.30. Flippin' eck, i only had a hour to wait.
I popped on the surgical gown and lovely paper knickers and before i knew it i was walking to the theatre. I said good-bye to my wonderful hubby (broke my heart :(), before i could get too upset and run after him lol the theatre staff wisk you off to the theatre room. That was deffinately bizarre, walking into the theatre and getting on the table. Again there is no messing, they are like a well oiled machine - needles are in, blood pressure cuffs are on and they made sure i was lying comfortably. They then put a mask on me and told me it was just a bit of oxygen, but tbh it smelt like the gas they used to give you at the dentist (if anyone had that) - i dont remember anything else!........
I woke up shaking all over after 6 hours of surgery. I think i remember someone saying "we need to warm her up" , and then feeling warm air blowing under the blanket i had on me. Then "now give her some pethadene" .... dont remember anything else again.
I have to say that i have been a bit sore after the op, but they told me the bypass was straight forward it was my gall bladder that caused the problems, so anyone about to have the bypass please do not worry!!!!
I was in hospital for 3 days which i didnt want to be in for that long, but tbh it was great because i copied the meals that i had there when i got home. It showed me the amounts i should be having too so it was very helpful.
Within the first 4 hours my blood sugar dropped steadily to 5.5 and the nurse said "there you go, theres the diabetes gone!!) - that was the best feeling i have had in years.
Now , nearly 4 weeks on, i am feeling fantastic. Still dont feel well enough to go back to work (manual job as a builder!) so heavy lifting is not an option at the moment. At least my children are off school so it was perfect timing for me to be off work with them.
I have been on minimins everday reading all you stories, i just havent felt upto writing anything, hope i havent bored you.
Good luck to everyone on our various stages of WLS. It will deffinately be worth it in the end!
I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone on minimins for your support - i realy would have been lost without you.

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
welcome back sue, and congratulations on becoming a loser x

Bonita

Congratulations Sue and welcome to the losing side.

xx

phatgirl

Hi Sue so happy all went well. Those gallbladders are pesky little so-and-so's aren't they? Glad you are feeling fit and ready to take on the world, won't be long before you are able to do your builder thing, just take it nice and easy.

Nic:p

thanks Steve, it wont be long for you ! Best of luck!! Everytime i see your name pop up it makes me smile. Not just because my hubby is called steve but we all love family guy in our house xxx

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi Sue, glad you are doing ok now. I think the "Oxygen" mask is a LIE. It is definitely entonox and makes me sick as a dog. I was in theatre recovery barfing for 2 hours, next time I will ask for NO gas and air. Anyway, great to read yr story.x

hayley1983

I've had my gall bladder removed and that was awful after recovery, so well done you for getting through both together.

I really enjoyed reading your post, thanks for sharing :)

Oh, and good luck for the future.

xxx

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
thanks for that Sue, and so glad you feel better. Now for the fun stuff eh ? losing weight and feeling better.
Take care and enjoy the kids 6 weeks :D

candie

fabby not flabby :)
Welcome back sue, and thanx for sharing your story hun x:D

Snow Angel

Hi Sue

well done and welcome to the loosing side :)
Glad to hear your ok now, it does take a while, so put your feet up and take it easy.

topsy

Lovely to have you back Sue - and very brave to put up your experiences. It can be ropey but yes it does get better and i am so glad you are starting to feel good.

Sending huge hugs and fairy dust xx

Rebirth

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Sue, there is always something new to learn from every ones experience. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better now and that you are enjoying the time at home with the children. How are they coping with your altered eating and weight loss?

Rebirth