• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello all and my story so far...

Wonderlust

Hi

I am a 44 year old from North Kent.

I have been fighting my weight all of my life and have peaked at over 200Kg.

I attended a local NHS initiative (CBT/Dietary/Exercise) two years ago where I went from about 225Kg to 205Kg, but the course came to an end and the exercise came to an end and I put on everything i had lost and peaked at 237Kg.

I've never had any health issues assiciated with my weight until about 16 months ago I have "suffered" a lymphoedema (my lump) in my groin which has grown to a huge size.

I was offered the chance of barriatric surgery by my GP, but he told me that no local hospitals would not be able to deal with me so I chose Guys Hospital purely due to the ease of access, right next to London Bridge Railway station.

Had my first and only appointment there back in October 2011 and the consultant was amazed at my lump and amazed that I wasn't wheel chair bound... So much so he called his boss in for a look!

I was then referred to St Thomas (Guys sister, or should that be brother, hospital) to see a general surgeon.

Saw him quite quickly in November and he advised that he didn't really want to operate until I had lost a large amount of weight, as much for the lump returning as the other dangers.

I heard nothing more until the 14th of Feb when I was contacted by The London Clinic on the 24th of Feb at 06.30! and that I was booked in for a Sleeve Gastrectomy and that they would be sending a pro op diet plan.

I was suprised that this would be happening with no pre op assesment etc, but the diet plan arrived next day and I started on it. It was mainlyjust a low carb diet avoiding potatoes etc. The plan seemed to be to shrink my Liver prior to the operation.

On the 21st I called the clinic to confirm various details etc only to be told that they had no details of me being booked in :eek:

About an hour later I had a call from St Thomas' telling me that the Clinic had decided that they could not deal with me due to my very high BMI.

I was told that the operation would now likely be carried out at St thomas'. So I asked the obvious... days weeks or months? Was told weeks...

Well I heard nothing more until I got a phone call during the evening of Thursday the 22/3/2012 from The Princess Grace Hospital asking if I could make an appointment for the next day! Managed to sort out everything to be there at 8PM on the 23rd to see Mr Ameet Patel.

Well after a 2 hour drive into Central London and to my amazement I managed to find a parking space almost outside the hospital! I saw Mr Patel and he ran through a few quick tests, and advised that he was happy to operate but I should be aware that due to my size and age that the chances of death during/post surgery were very high. But still he put me at ease and his confidence and manner were very reassuring.

Then the shock, he wanted to operate in less than a week! I was now glad that I have stayed more or less on the previous pre-op diet!

So I had to be at the Princess Grace for 07.30 29/3/12. Well thanks to a private hire Taxi that didn't know where he was going I arrived at the hospital about 10 minutes late... was shown to my room to wait.

It was late afternoon before I was asked to walk (via a lift) to the operationg theatre. The last thing I remember is have the Cannula installed....

Woke up in the late evening back in my room with various drips and an oxygen mask.

I have 6 vary small wounds

Well after a few days stay and various tests, yes I feel like a pin cushion! I was sent home on Sunday night along with a carrier bag full of mediaction!

Yesterday was my first full day of trying my new liquid diet (for the next 3 weeks or so) although at this time I am having real difficulties drinking the 2-3L a day!

So far so good, the thing that has struck me as strange so far is that I've not eaten a meal since Thursday last week and I am not missing it.

Although I have found that I dream of eating food during the night....

Welcome and welldone i am so very proud of you.Its a difficult journey an dyours has certainly been a strange one good luck with your new life you are now ell on your way xx keep upadting on here people care xx

One thing I have to confess to...

I do feel very much like a cheat.

I have only told most people that need to know that i was having stomach surgery but told next to no one the actual truth.

I only told my father on the journey home from the hospital

Very few people know the real truth.

I know it's probably irrational but I feel like people will think that I have taken the easy option by having surgery.

Hi!

Just reassure you, that you made the right choice! I was 186 kilos pre sleeve and over the last four years I reached goal of 70 kilos and more or less stayed that weight! So it's possible. Any questions please post and me or any of the others here will be happy to reply.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi, just want to welcome you to the site! This is a wonderful place, I've learnt so much just from reading other peoples posts so I hope the site will be a big help to you. Best of luck with your weight loss journey. :)

Hi Wonderlust,

I am a mid 40's person from south east London (currently Woolwich but considering a move later in the year to possibly Dartford or Gravesend).

Weirdly I am having my sleeve op in north London (at the Whittington) -- long story but I'm totally happy to go there.

Good luck with your sleeve journey -- look forward to seeing more of your posts !!

So.mething about us being in our mid 40's seems to be alot of us in this age bracket. THink WE ARE HALF WAY THROUGH OUR LIVES AND DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE OTHER HALF STRUGGLING THROUGH WHEN WE SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF OUR AGME AND LIVING LIFE TO THE FULL. SOME PEOPLE WHERE I WORK STILL DON'T KNOW HOW I'V LOST THE WEIGHT AND SOME NOSY PEOPLE I HAVENT TOLD OUT OF PRINCIPAL THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW NEEDED TO KNOW AND ARE PART OF MY SUPPORT NETWORK. GOOD LUCK IT IS HARD TO FIND TRUST WORTHY PEOPLE THESE DAYS I AHVE BEEN LET DOWN SO MANY TIMES ITS UNBELEIVABLE, MAKES YOU TWICE AS CAUTIOUS NEXT TIME YOU TELL ANYONE ANYHTING. XX

Back