• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP ME PLZ SOMEBODY XX

tracyt84

HI everybody,im new on here,just thought id say hello and explain abit about myself,im 27 year old and have battled with my weight for most of my life,finally got a referrall from my gp yesterday to have gastric surgery on the nhs,could someone please explain to me what happens next,thanks so much and have a lovely day :)

Hi sweetie & welcome :):) I am not with your PCT so my experience is not relevant to you , but later there will be peeps from your area logging on to answer you. Very best wishes for your journey to a new you xxx :):)

Welcome Tracy, i hope you have a smooth journey on the way xxxxxxxx

Welcome Tracy :) now you are referred your Pct (primary care trust) will decide whether they will fund your surgery or not, fingers crossed they will :) xxx

from me phone :D

thanks so much for the replies,does anyone know how long it takes for them to decide and how u hear their decision??x

:welcome: :bestwishes:

Hi Tracy welcome to the group.
I'm from Croydon and had my sleeve done at Kings College. A lot depends on where you sit BMI wise in your PCT's guidelines. Mine was over 50 and the guidelines here said that surgery would be the first option, that's not always the case though remember these are just guidelines. I had tried various diets and prescribed slimming tablets for many years before MY GP referred me but after referral by my GP I saw the surgeon within 3 weeks and was put on the list straight away. I had lung function test and a sleep apnoea test 3 weeks after that, and then nothing for nearly a year when I received the letter telling me to go in for my pre-op assessment with surgery 10 days later.
Thats my "journey" it really couldn't have been more straight forward. I hope yours is as smooth :)

hi,thanks for the replys,very helpfull..i think ive been referred to guys hospital in london,ive already done the 6 months on the awful ble tablet things and they were horrendous,my bmi is 43,doctor said i meet the PCT criteria for my area but just gotta wait..hate waiting lol

Hello and welcome Tracy. You're certainly in the right place to ask questions and receive sensible answers (And some amusing answers on occasions too, lol).
I live in Derbyshire and it took approximately 3 years (just over)from the GP referring me until I actually had the op. But, as has already been pointed out, all PCTs are different. And there are some differences within each PCT too. A prime example of this being, another lady on the same hospital ward as me, had her op on the same day as me, but from our conversations, it seemed she only waited approximately 18 months. Now, having thought about this, I don't know for sure, but I reckon it's because some of her underlying medical conditions were worse than mine.
Anyway, you're in the system now, so I wish you all the very best of luck with it all. xxx

i saw me doctor today and ive been referred to the princess royal hospital in orpington!! no idea where that it lol

Doesn't matter where it is just make sure you get there :) good luck x

tbh im a bit gutted u dont get to chose wot hospital u go to as mine seems to have the longest waiting list,am i normal to feel this way ?? xxx

You're perfectly normal to feel this way :)
Part of the reason my journey from GPs surgery to operating table was that my GP tried to get me into Sheffield under Mr Ackroyd, but because that's in Yorkshire and I'm in Derbyshire I couldn't get funding, so we applied and I got a place at the Royal Derby - who I can't fault in anyway at all.
But the point is, I think we have to take what we're given to a certain extent. But they're all well trained experienced professionals!

yeah i should be gratefull i even got a referell as many dont...dont even know if ive got funding as havent even recieved a letter from noone yet xx

Hope it's not a long journey. Mine was just over a year, but part of the delay was my own fault (didn't lose enough).
Best of luck
x

Hi Tracy
My journey has been 2 yrs since i was referred by my gp and I am still waiting for my date.
I had to have a history of slimming groups, like weight watchers, slimming world etc for at least a 5 yr period. Then I had to have tried drug therapies for obesity. I had to do 7 months one to one intensive weight management followed by 3 months of group sessions and one to one sessions with a psychologist. Then I had to lose 2 and a half stone, after which I was referred to a bariatric surgeon at another hospital by which time I had to lose more weight, ( no amount was specified)and had a test for sleep apnoea. Then I saw the surgeon talked through my choice, had my mrsa swabs, now waiting for my date. I never had to apply for funding so I don't know much about that.Hope fully I will hear about mine in the next few weeks.
As has been said before, each pct is different and I have to travel 40 miles to a hospiutal that has bariatric unit as they don't have on in our area.
I hope your wait is not as long as mine.

Hi Tracy welcome to the group.
I'm from Croydon and had my sleeve done at Kings College. A lot depends on where you sit BMI wise in your PCT's guidelines. Mine was over 50 and the guidelines here said that surgery would be the first option, that's not always the case though remember these are just guidelines. I had tried various diets and prescribed slimming tablets for many years before MY GP referred me but after referral by my GP I saw the surgeon within 3 weeks and was put on the list straight away. I had lung function test and a sleep apnoea test 3 weeks after that, and then nothing for nearly a year when I received the letter telling me to go in for my pre-op assessment with surgery 10 days later.
Thats my "journey" it really couldn't have been more straight forward. I hope yours is as smooth :)
good luck tracey,,,, hello brian hope you are ok you seem fine ive been wondering how you have faired since your op keep us informed xxxxxxxxxx

Back