• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

help me win funding by sharing your story

Sarah mine was 20 months, do you still want it or do you want shorter ones?

Shel, bless you, your case was as bad as mine!!! I too like you did all the GP asked of me. The medication and the counter weight programme, weight loss clubs ect ect. There isn't any thing left. I even loss 7 stone on xenical only to regain it. I first tried xenical back in 1998.

I have been very patient so far as it has taken me almost 2 years to get here. My first referral was back early in 2007. I do not want to lose the race at the last post. I am so glad to be at this point but now I need to do the high jumps. The PCT have asked me to show them other cases that are being funded as this may help them with their decision. Maybe you are right...your long struggle won't help me as you are much the same as me. But thanks for the offer.

Shel if I could change one thing about my journey I would have insisted that I withdrew from reductil and accomplia much sooner than I did. I stuck it out for 3 months on both drugs even thou they both made me ill. My blood pressure hasn't recovered from reductil and accomplia made me feel suisidal. My GP asked me to stick it out so I did. I have done everything that was asked of me and I am still battling. My GP is furious!

I have 4 consultants letters supporting my case. One even pointed out that I am at risk of sudden death due to my obesity. If that doesn't swing it then I don't know what will.

I am fully loaded and ready to go. I am polishing off the letters and waiting for my big day on friday! fingers crossed.

The aim of this post is to ask members who didn't have to struggle as we have to offer their support. Thanks for your reply.

I promise once I get my funding I will not go near the subject again unless asked too. I know how boring it must be for those of you who are already there but for those waiting these posts are so important. thank you to everyone who has put up with my endless pleas.

hi i was refered in oct had funding in place and saw cnsultant by march had op in sept i will email you if that fits into what your after

Hi Sarah

My story goes like this.

Beginning of April 2008

Went to GP about one health issue and got talking WLS, I said I would love to go ahead, so he put my case forward to PCT in Surrey.

I had Diabetes 2, high cholestorol, intermittent hypertension, swelling of ankles and feet (with ulcers) and had tried weightwatchers, cambridge diet, reductil, slimfast and various other home diets.

My BMI was 53.9 at the start and top weight nearly 23 stone.

End of May 2008

I got a call to come into my doctors surgery, so off I went thinking the worst that something had showed up in recent bloodtests only to be told funding had been granted and I needed to sign some stuff off and to choose a hospital. There were 6-7 on the list, but I chose Ashford as it was the nearest and my mum had her hip operation there. They were also the only hospital in Surrey without MRSA.

August 4th 2008

Met with Surgeon Dr John Horner and he set my date for 14th October.

October 14th 2008.

Operation went ahead.

I hope this information serves to help you get your funding.

My journey to WLS was very simple and I'm amazed at the struggle some people have to go to to get there.

I visisted my gp in February of 2007 and asked to be referred.

I got my first appointment with my surgeon Mr Pollard at St James in Leeds in April 2007 but I found out I was pregnant with my baby boy so everthing was delayed and he said he would see me 6 months after giving birth.

I saw him again in June 2008 and he agreed to do my surgery which was actually a revision of a WLS from 1999.

September 2008 saw the dietician who said I needed a month to sort out my diet as I am a bit of a grazer so I saw her at the begining of October having lost a couple of kilos so she put my case to pannel and one week later I was told I had the funding.

Mid october I saw Mr Pollard again and I was given the date of 19th of November for my surgery which went ahead as planned

Hope that helps

Alia xxx

Back