• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospital Question

Donna R

Hi,

Im hoping someone might be able to answer a few of my questions Please.

How long did you have to spend in hospital after you had surgery.

Also how long did you take off work ?

How long did you have to spend in hospital after you had surgery.
I spent two nights in hospital after keyhole bypass
Also how long did you take off work ?
____
I was off for 8 weeks but that was because i manage a children's home and have to restrain young people ______________

I'm guessing your under walsall manor? they tend towards open surgery which means a longer recovery time than keyhole.

I had my op at Walsall manor and had the op Wednesday afternoon and was home Friday morning, I had 6 weeks off work to recover

I think i hold the record here with a whopping 7 nights stay after keyhole gastric bypass surgery(no complications)!!!!!

Hi Donna, i had my surgery 'open' bypass at Walsall Manor on the Thursday morning and was out Friday afternoon, nurses weren't very pleased that the Doctors said i could go home but hey they said and i nearly crawled fast out of the ward :)

As for work i am on my 3rd week back after my op on June 10th. The tiredness was the big decider for having extra time off for me. I was about 6 weeks post op before i stopped needing a kip during the day :)

Julie, did you take annual leave or did you get sick leave from your employers. I work full time but I've accepted I may have to take some annual leave days for the op and afterwards... not sure what my employer will make of me taking six weeks off on sick leave (again!) as I was off for about that time when I split my knee open... I've told my line manager that I've been referred for surgery but I don't think they're aware that I may need more than two weeks 'holiday' to recover.

Look at your contract of employment novamay it will tell you there. Normally there are no limits on time off other than how long you are paid for. However if there are that os where they will be. Some employers write in a specific time limit for paid sick leave in any one year.

HTH

M

Thanks for your replys, Im hoping i dont have to stay in long either.

Ive told work i will be off for 4-6 weeks.

At chichester i went in for my op Saturday morning and was home Tuesday lunchtime.

as for work, i spent that first week doing nothing at all then i worked from home for a few hours a day on a laptop for the next 3 weeks.

Look at your contract of employment novamay it will tell you there. Normally there are no limits on time off other than how long you are paid for. However if there are that os where they will be. Some employers write in a specific time limit for paid sick leave in any one year.

HTH

M

Hi M, thanks, I have checked my contract and I can be paid 6 months sickpay = hope I don't need this much time off... I was just worried cos if we have so many days off sick in a certain time period we have to go through a interview/disciplinary process. The op'll be a couple of years yet I guess, so I should be ok.

I think i hold the record here with a whopping 7 nights stay after keyhole gastric bypass surgery(no complications)!!!!!

I was in for 6 nights after a problem-free keyhole bypass and that was 2 days earlier than I was told to expect when I was admitted ! Same surgeon as Lisa... he's a complete control freak !

I was signed off for 5 weeks after my bypass, then did a phased return to work for another 3 weeks.

I was in for 5 nights that was with a complicated keyhole bypass.

till recuperating now, I'm just 9 days post-op. I fel very weak and fragile still and realy strugglng with food.

I don't work for an employer but I do do voluntary pastoral work in a church and the same + teaching in a Christian ministry.

I'm planning to take at least a month off, though I am going to a special event tomorrow and preaching on Sunday!

But that will be it for AT LEAST a month. :)

I had my keyhole bypass on a Tuesday morning, was let home on the Thursday afternoon. Took the following week off sick and then took it easy at work for a couple of days.

Easy-peasy. xx

I had my keyhole bypass on a Tuesday morning, was let home on the Thursday afternoon. Took the following week off sick and then took it easy at work for a couple of days.

Easy-peasy. xx

John does that mean you were back at work within a couple of weeks? I plan to book leave and will save a week to carry forward so i could be off for 3 weeks, can't do anymore, but could possibly work from home for a bit or an office nearer to me if drivings a problem...i have just under an hours drive each way normally.
This is a really useful planning thread.

Yes, back at work 13 days after the op. Not bad for an old bloke eh? I didn't go lifting the heavy stuff around for a couple of days though. I was back to normal pretty much by the end of that week though.

Mind you, I didn't have a wife and kids to cope with, that would really have slowed me down. :D
xx

You won't be allowed to drive for 2 weeks so you will need to factor that in. You should expect to get tired easily so if working at home is an option I would say go for it.

Back