• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long till swimming?

louisaL

looking to make a change!
Hi all I'm 2 weeks post op today. Started back at work yesterday, have had no wind/internal pain since last Tuesday (been driving since last tues) and no pain killers since I came out of hospital.

In myself I feel ready to get in the pool. My incisions have closed completely although are still raised a bit.

When do you think I could get in the pool ( not actually swim)?

Last edited:
Hi

I can relate to wanting to get back in the pool - nothing like it in this weather!

I had a band, so 5 incisions and I had to wait for 6 weeks. Although my wounds appeared to be healed, think of all the nasties lurking in the pool water :eek:

If in doubt always best to check with your team ;)

Lou, we're adviced 6 weeks lovely. You need the surgeon to check your wounds at your follow up before you swim.

Thanks guys I just couldn't remember how many weeks we were advised x

and also wondered if it was for the swimming (for the exercise) we were advised not to do it or actually going in the pool

Going in the pool - you don't want all the yuckies from the pool water coming into contact with your wounds.

My team let me go back at 4 weeks as my wounds had never been leaking or open. I was fine. But everyone is different :)

Sophie was you at L&D?

louisaL said:
Sophie was you at L&D?

No chick. Heartlands. They don't give blanket instructions on exercise. Goes on the individual x

I was told 6 weeks due to possibility of infection although my scars were healed in 2 weeks. I waited but now like a mermaid I am always in the pool.

I went back at 3 1/2weeks but i put some clear waterproof dressings on and only did 30 mins and life guard put me n a lane on my own so no one kicked me, listen to your body :)

I'm glad you asked this question as we're off on holiday on Saturday and never even thought about the nasties in the pool. I shall have to sit and watch the family instead.

I was advised 4wks if wounds not healed use waterproof plasters & do that anyway if going to be in water for any length of time incase I softens the scar. Beyond that go with your body if you're at all anxious use asters to be safe but enjoy a float even if you don't swim it's great.

I had my 6 weeks check up before my hops and my doctor said no swimming for another 2 weeks but I could paddle if I liked.

My surgeon said today after checking my wounds at my six weeks post op check that I can start swimming. The key is not to if any of your wounds have not sealed.

Back