• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hunger & Bypass?

indianlight

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone else was the same as me.. I'm 1 week post bypass and I find i feel great on a morning but as the day goes on i get more tired, cranky and sometimes weepy. The funny thing is that my appetite follows me, I can eat very well on a morning but by evening i cant be bothered with food and if I need to eat really struggle to get anything down.

This isn't a big problem cos im managing to eat all that I should but I'm just curious about others. xx

Hi Indianlight
What you are experiencing is perfectly normal. I was the exact same got worse as the day went on too really weepy and low. You still have anthestic in your system and you are recovering from major surgery. I'm not sure on the appetite front i'm still trying to get it right 5 weeks down the line. Just get plenty of rest and take each day as it comes it does pass xx

Thanks Allie,
It's always reassuring when someone else has experienced the same isn't it. I seem to have got to grips with eating so easily that I was so concerned I rang the dietician yesterday and she confirmed i'm doing ok. I don't know how I will manage when I've got more tablets to take.xx What sort of problems are you having with your eating maybe I can help?

I am pre-op but I would imagine that your body and brain are still getting over a serious dose of Shock.

Shock does terrible weird things to you physically and mentally. I have suffered from shock once (after my sister died completely unexpectedly 3 weeks after my wedding) and I couldn't eat (a first for me!), couldn't sleep and couldn't even sit down. I spent literally 2 whole days walking round and round in circles like a traumatised dog in a rescue kennel.

That was emotional shock but you have had significant physical trauma. Someone on here said something very sensible the other day - you have been stabbed and opened with very sharp knives. If you were the victim of a stabbing, how much time would you need to get over it? You need to take it easy to give your mind and body time to heal.

Hope you are feeling better soon

love

TillyBob

Hi indian I am still pre op but hope you feel better soon. I would think what you are experiencing is absolutely normal Take care and I am sure each day will see you a little stronger

Jay xx

Hi INDIANLIGHT
Don't worry about the tablets there is no real prob taking them don't be put off when you see the vitamins they slide down easily. Being on liquids is hard and you always feel you are not taking enough on board. As far as i go with food i've never been a cook and am struggling to find anything i really enjoy( at the final stage of mashed/ soft foods) but i do think old emotional habits die hard i feel hungry( most likely head hunger) on and off throughout the day and evening i don't give in to it and the weight is falling so must be ok. To be honest i think cause i'm still off work i have too much time on my hands and i'm so bored lol. You will def feel better soon and as i've said before its a huge learning curve and the body is def ahead of the mind. That's why minis is so good cause there are so many people at different stages of their journies to help and support along the way x

Hi, just wanted to say that what you are feeling is perfectly normal. During the first 2 weeks post-op you are bound to feel tired, uncomfortable and have no desire to eat. Because of the trauma of surgery, your drastic reduction in calories and the anesthetic still in your system you are probably feeling the post-op blues. That is very normal so don't worry. Many people experience it but think they are alone, you aren't alone so take some cheer in that. You will get through this bit sooner than you think, usually once you start eating more solid food. Additionally some people begin to feel a bit down around 4-6 weeks, that is less physical and more emotional because you had all the build-up of surgery but not the big pay off of being slim yet. So just keep your chin up, come here and moan, we are all happy to listen.

Just know that it gets soooo very much better over the next couple of months that you will be laughing it off and thinking how silly you were to worry, I promise you!

Take care,
Nic;)

I am still at this stage, mornings are definitely my best times, and I get more tired and grumpy as the day goes on, with some weepiness in the evenings.

So I just plan my day around this, make sure I have my shower in the morning and do anything I plan to do that day in the morning so I can relax in the afternoon/evening. It doesn't always work out but it helps.

Hope you feel better soon

Rx

felt the same as you take it easy and get plenty of rest. Im 9 months post op and still have no appitite

Guess that makes me the odd one out! I am the opposite! Mornings i feel like death, stomach hurts and don't feel like doing much at all! Then by the evening i feel almost normal and feel like i can take on the world! I'm just about three weeks post op. Also have mild head hunger and still a little weepy sometimes.

I'm three months post and still getting tired a fair bit. I do find that although I am still being very sickly, if I'm going to keep anything down its more likely to happen in the evening than the morning.

Back