• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I NEED HELP

megyweg

IM NEW ON HERE BUT IVE JUST HAD MY BYPASS FUNDING REFUSED AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW CAN ANYONE HELP :cry::confused::sigh::cry::cry:

Hello!!

First off, WELLCOME!! This is a great site for wonderful advice and lovely people, someone will be here soon to give you better advice.

Why were you refused? Why not think about appealing? Dont give up at the first hurdle, find ot why you were refused and start to think about an appeal.

Good luck :) xxx

Sorry don't have any advice for you but i know there will be plenty of people who do, i'm sure they will be along soon with loads of advice for you to follow - Good luck

Thanks my letter just said i dont fit into the criteria for the this funding but the doctor i saw at hope hospital said i did??

Have you looked at the NICE criteria for weight loss surgery? It is something like, a bmi of 40-49 with comobilities or a bmi of 50+.

Go to your GP with your letter and geth them to explain to you what is going on.

i will and my bmi is 48 ive had a look at that sight and i still dont understand why they said no they are saying i need refuring to a weight loss program at the hospital but ive tred all that and still im over weight

I think i have read a few times on here that people who have been referred to weight loss clincs and after giving it a good go are then considered for surgery.

I think they just want to make sure that you have tried everything and that nothing works.

Dont give up, jump through the hoops they want and do everything that they ask of you.

i will and thanks for your help going to do some phoning round on tue firstly the pct to ask why then make an appointment with gp may even phone hope and see if they can help thanks again

Good luck with it all. Let us know how you get on.

Remember, dont give up. :) xxx

Have you looked at the NICE criteria for weight loss surgery? It is something like, a bmi of 40-49 with comobilities or a bmi of 50+.

Go to your GP with your letter and geth them to explain to you what is going on.
Unfortunately, not every PCT follows the NICE guidelines. Some are much more strict.

If you are in England, this website gives you the guidelines that your local PCT follows BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association From what I have read on here, getting funding in Scotland and especially in Wales is very, very difficult.

I do not have any experience of it myself but a number of people on here have successfully appealed the initial PCT decision. I am sure that people here will be able to help you.

love

TillyBob

Hi Megyweg and welcome to MM.
Soz to hear your funding has been turned down but can you pls give us some more info.

What pct are ya
Do u have any health probs

Am sure their will be plenty of people around later on who will be able to offer you some more advice, and if we know some more info about you it will be a bit easier for us to offer you some more advice.
Take care luv Roch xxx

hi yes sure im with oldhams pct i have dieabitic type 2, high blood pressure, high colestorl i also have lots of problems with my back and am finding walking a struggle now without a walking stick. xxx

Hi again :) in the letter they wrote you did they say why they would not fund you and did they state wat their criteria was.
I looked on the Bospa site and Oldham have not sent any info yet.
If you dont know the criteria for your pct then ring up on tuesday morning and see what their criteria is.
If they do follow NICE then with the health probs you have, then u def fit the criteria but as it has been said not all pct`s follow the guidelines and some make it very hard for patients.

Diabetes 2
High blood pressure
Bmi 48

Maybe post in a separate thread here on the wls section asking if anyone is under Oldham pct maybe they can offer you some advice.
Also there is a organisations called Pals and that is the patient advisory liaison service they might be able to help you as they often help people with advice and support when wls funding has been turned down.
Here is the link for them.

How to contact your local PALS : Department of Health - Managing your organisation

Take care and pls dont give up luv Roch xxx

Here's what I suggest, give your PCT and ask to speak to the person in charge of bariatric commissioning and ask them exactly what their criteria for funding is (as the Bospa site says awaiting inormation). If ask them if possible for a copy in writing. You also need also to ask them why you have been refused, funding and also ask them to send you a letter confirming this. Then you need to lodge an appeal and maybe with the help of your dr you need to detail exactly how and why you meet the criteria. Then send this with your appeal letter and see what happens. x

hey hun, im from oldham, maybe u dont fit it for the bypass, why dont u try for the band, im not sure if that makes a difference, my doctor reffered me and i got a letter say that i fit in to the guidlines. i have a bmi i think it 56 always forget. this is how it happened for me, my doctor wrote to oldham hospital with a referral and the hospital wrote to me askin me basically why i need the surgery so i had to write back and tell them everythin, then about a week later they wrote to me sayin i have my fundin. did u have to do anything like i did. hope u get the answers u need, pm me if u wanna know more xx

Welcome Meg,I had to do over 12 months at weight clinic,still waiting for the go ahead.Next appointment 25th sept.How long were you at the wmc?did you do drugs like Reductil/Orlistat?Attend a physio?Have your weight loss/gain monitored over a period of time?They have to do all this to ensure you are committed to this and not looking for a quick fix.Ask to be refered to the wlc and explain you meet all the critaria and your health is getting you down so badly now.Tell the doc EVERY way your weight impacts on your life.From bum wiping to sores under folds of skin,depression,sleep probs.Write a list,you will be supprised how long it will be.Dont give up yet,this is a long fight for some of us,but you didnt gain weight in a few months and you wont lose it that quick either.Hugs for now keep posting/reading.x

Back