• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If it wasn't for this forum, would you have been properly prepared for surgery?

love fest hahahahhahaahhahahahahaha quuuuuuuuick group orgie...... bagsy not on the bottom ~ JOOOOKE XX

A very firm no for me! Without this site i'd have been..... edited to save the mods the job! My provider is pants with aftercare never mind giving us info beforehand!

Well done you lot of pre and post ops for all the words of wisdom!

Group hugsxxxx

Hell NO

Without this site I would be well and truly lost. The pre and post op care at Walsall Manor leaves a lot to be desired.

A great big thank you to anyone who has helped me at any point in my journey. I will be eternally grateful x

I have found the help and support from people I have met on this site invaluable. I was told to visit the BOSPA site to gen up on wls. However, having the oppertunity to read real life experiences has been very helpful. I found out about this site from the support group at Salford Royal and therefore made me brave enough to visit the group at the Spire.

Thank you all for your support and help. Especially Nic, Carol, Alison, Sambucca, Karlos and Allie. I know I have long periods where you don't hear from me but I'm usually lurking around somewhere.

Rebirth xxx

Last edited:
I just wondered because I don't feel that I've really been given much advice or information from the hospital so far. They seem to have assumed that I understand the medical terms, and all I've been given is one sheet listing the side effects post surgery and the amount that can be eaten. I was also told I was high risk but that consultation lasted less than 2 mins and they didn't go into any real detail. I sort of feel like I'm being whisked through the system and will suddenly find myself waking up post surgery without any idea what to eat lol. Hopefully all that will be discussed with the dietician pre-op, although i don't know if I'm due to see her again. If it hadn't been for this forum I wouldn't know 90% of what I do know about the procedure and life post op.

So do you feel that you were given enough info or opportunity to discuss your concerns?

Ditto - my feelings exacrtly ! There's no way I would have been adequately prepared without this forum. Three months post op and I'm beginning to adjust to my new life, but still feel I will need the support of people here for some time to come.

That is so true Rose.

I see the forum as an opportunity to share, learn and listen to other's experiences...

Regardless of the waiting time... it has given me adequate time to explore all issues, to think clearly about my direction and to get myself fitter and my thoughts in gear for post op...

So the wait in my experience, I am turning into a positive since I am really pushing myself along... thank you again to everyone on here... xxx

Without this forum I don't know if I would have gone through with my surgery. It was an absolute lifeline - the only place I could really get answers to my questions. Everyone made me feel so welcome and I was never made to feel stupid for asking (seemingly) silly questions. It was so helpful to hear how 'real' people had gone through the process and it was a real comfort to know that other people were experiencing the same frustrations as me. It was also such a help to read success stories - it made the whole thing seem possible. I shall be forever grateful to this forum for helping me through my journey.
As for my hospital ... I had little or no info. Everything I knew/found out, came from here xxx

I have had so much help and information from you guys..
I am internally grateful...

I would still be here twiddling my thumbs waiting for funding if i hadn't been given some sound advice from a couple of people on here.

I thought I was prepared but I feel so much more confident in my choice to go forth with surgery...

I haven't had to ask many questions yet(I say yet ..that may change..lol) because most of the questions have already been asked...

thanks everyone.... xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No I wouldn't have been prepared. Although I had seen the registrar in July I didn't hear one thing from them until I got a call in late November to come in and have the op early December so it was all very rushed. Had I not been on this site I would have been very uninformed. My dietician was very impressed with my knowledge on the amounts of protein I should be eating and other things I have mentioned to her and its thanks to this site. Its also so comforting to speak to people who have had the op - the surgeons are trained in their field but nothing substitutes going through it yourselves to really understand.

This site was so much support it helped every step of the way, its a blessing like the people on it many thanks for all that helped me

I went to the Salford meeting last night and was blessed to meet some of our friends on here, Sally, Kerry (Joanne), Jacqui and her lovely family (Dotty and her chicks plus hubby) and Pearline and hubby, amongst others....

What was amazing was the fact that we all knew each other really well...

It felt like meeting up with a part of the family, the first time we had met, but what a bond!

I am so blessed to have found you all and moreso to be able to learn so much from everyone... I am really determined to stick to my diet... which I am doing... plus trying to get as much exercise out of my body as I possibly can....

If I never got to have the surgery... for whatever reason... I have gained SO MUCH already from you all and I am happy to wait and keep learning... I don't feel like I want to rush my journey, since thanks to you all... I'm rather enjoying my trip.... so I'm happy to TAKE THE LONG WAY ROUND!

Looking forward to a lifetime of friendship, caring, sharing and offering support.

Love and humungous hugs from me to all xxx

I agree Bev, it was like meeting old friends, not like meeting people you have never seen before :D It was so lovely to finally get to meet you all....love and hugs from Dotty and the chicks :D x

Jacqui... I do feel as though we have always known each other... how great to be with you all and I was in awe at the love and support surrounding you with your hubby and Dotty's Chicks... I had a lovely hug from your beautiful daughter as I was leaving and you gorgeous son said he would keep in touch whilst you are in hospital... lovely to meet you all and I'm so glad I got my hug at last!

Love to all xxx

Me too :D and they all said how lovely you were too, its so nice that this forum brings people closer too. Other areas are the same too. Some lovely friendships have been made and I just wish we could all get together if we all lived closer ......there are so many people on here I would still love to meet X

I was feeling just the same Jacqui... we are all so spread far and wide... I'm the only one from Wales as far as I know... but it won't keep me away from the meetings...

Getting used to my little trips to Manchester and Warrington now... and getting used to getting lost... haha... loads of love xxx

It was lovely to meet you all last night. As Beverlie said it felt like meeting up with old friends. It's a shame I didn't have more time to talk. Hope you all had a safe journedy home.

love

Rebirth x

Awww Lovely to meet you too!

Hope to see you again very soon and thinking of you as you prepare for your surgery...

Will see you again very soon and much love to you! Take special care xxx

Back