• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

IM SO ANRGY, NO SICKPAY

babybell

:mad::mad: Im fumming i work full time for the same company for 11 years and they said i might not get sickpay because its not medical...is that a bloody joke. he said i must get a letter from my doctors to say i need it...is he fooking blind im the size of a freaking house. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Get him his letter & deposit it where he won't lose it ... & make it sting the pratt :mad: Your doctor may charge you for it but it would be worth it, honey xxx :)

That's bad, and I'm angry that my work will only pay me £12 a day, and I could do with more time off but can't afford to with Christmas coming up....

Our employers suck big time!

:mad::mad: Im fumming i work full time for the same company for 11 years and they said i might not get sickpay because its not medical...is that a bloody joke. he said i must get a letter from my doctors to say i need it...is he fooking blind im the size of a freaking house. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tell him that you can't just got to the chemist to get one.
Of course its medical that why a hospital, Drs and nurses are involved.....Unless I missed something :D

The hospital will give you a sick note, whether they like it or not, that is medical, Karen x

Sorry to hear this but some employers will class it as not essential, even though your surgeon has agreed that you do need this.

Its unfair as you have been honest and told them what you are having done. I have known others having to not be 100% honest with their employers and saying they are having non specific abdominal surgery etc.

Do you have any leave you could take and be paid for ? x

I would say contact your union as it is medical your under a consultant. If you weren't then they can argue its not medical, it's a life saving operation no different if you had a heart condition. Obesity is classed as a medical condition.

Hope you get it all sorted x

As its more elective I don't think employers have to pay you...I took 2wks of my hols off when I had my op x

As its more elective I don't think employers have to pay you...I took 2wks of my hols off when I had my op x

I took a weeks holiday too Jo :mad:

I think with a bypass though you could be looking at upto 6 weeks off (maybe more) - thats a hell of a long time to not be paid.

I hope you manage to sort something out babybell x

Surely as u have had it on the NHS and not paid for it privately it should be deemed as needed rather than requested?!
I would fight them all the way on this one.
x

I had a breast reduction years ago from 32h to 32d. Work claimed it was elective & gave me a sick warning. I took it to the Union and we won my appeal.
Many employers see elective surgery as cosmetic. I couldn't walk & now I'm the size of a single storey bunglow with conservatory and garage lol. It's a little obvious I'm not doing it to grace the pages of FHM.
Try the Union hun. If not, try appealing to their better nature..
xx

As an employee you are entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP) if you are unfit to work, and the reason for your absence is essentially immaterial. Provided you follow the requisite notification requirements for your company then sick pay is payable.

That said if you are also entitled to contractual sick pay i.e. you get full pay when off sick then this is only payable in line with the terms of your contractual or service agreement. These terms can exclude any payment for absences following elective procedures or your employer can make payments on a discretionary basis. The latter is advisable but this discretion must always be exercised consistently and with an understanding of the potential discrimination issues, so if you know of others that have been paid full pay after elective procedures then they would realistically be better off paying you, but they don't have to, they just are not allowed to discriminate against you.

Good luck with it, though if you might possibly get full pay rather than just the SSP that you are entitled too, rather than the daft advice you've had about shoving sick notes where the sun doesn't shine etc, get your boss to see this as you investing in your future health and how they will benefit from enhanced performance as a result. You will need their future support so why enter a conflict situation if you can work through this together.

i can,t belive this i am having 4 weeks of and getting paid, if you have a sick note you should get paid no ???? what abount when people just take days of when they feel like

As an employee you are entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP) if you are unfit to work, and the reason for your absence is essentially immaterial. Provided you follow the requisite notification requirements for your company then sick pay is payable.

That said if you are also entitled to contractual sick pay i.e. you get full pay when off sick then this is only payable in line with the terms of your contractual or service agreement. These terms can exclude any payment for absences following elective procedures or your employer can make payments on a discretionary basis. The latter is advisable but this discretion must always be exercised consistently and with an understanding of the potential discrimination issues, so if you know of others that have been paid full pay after elective procedures then they would realistically be better off paying you, but they don't have to, they just are not allowed to discriminate against you.

Absolutely 100% spot on, and if your employer tells you any different, let them know you will be having a word with ACAS to find out your rights.

It's ridiculous and if I were you I'd contact either your union or failing that the CAB.
A few years ago I was offered a place at a therapeutic community which involved having full time group therapy for at least 6 months. This was the reccommendation of my psychiatrist after I'd had years of severe mental health problems. My HR department sat me down and tried to make me feel greatful that they were offering me an unpaid leave of absence. I reminded them that I had worked there for 7 years and was entitled to 3 months full pay and 3 months half pay before going onto ssp. I had to fight for it but they had to cave in because legally I was in the right.
It annoyed me so much that once the 6 months were up I sent them a letter of resignation lol. Couldn't stand the job anyway.

WLS may be elective but you don't get it on the nhs unless they deem it is necessary to prevent you having serious health problems in the present or near future. It's not like you've nipped to a private hospital for a facelift for heavens sake, but I think some people mistake WLS for cosmetic surgery. (i don't include the poster who had the breast reduction in this btw. My sister in law had to have that done because her back hurt so much from the weight of her boobs. I don't think my brother ever forgave her though lol)

I only got ssp but luckily I only needed two weeks off after my bypass.
ive been off for 5 weeks now and only have ssp, its a nightmare to live on :( xxx

silly question are you in retail ie tesco asda sainsbugs morrisons etc if so ill have some news for you

you will be asked before leaving SRH if you need a sicknote, if needed request one before
x

Back