• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Inquisitive Questions......

MissyMustDoIt

serial cryer!!
Hi all,

ive read, and read and read through the forum and have come across a few things i dont understand or cant find the answer too...if anyone can help, id be grateful.....

1 - What does RNY stand for?
2 - Why do some people have an edoscopy and some dont?
3 - What is a seminar and do you HAVE to attend it?
4 - Does everyone have a sleep apneoa test?

There are more.....but ive forgotten them lol. I'll come back with more later lol

RNY is the term used for bypass short for roux en y
Seminars aren't held at every hospital but it is at Sunderland royal and is the first port of call to learn about the various types of surgery and decide which is best
I'm not sure about endoscopy but at Sunderland they give them to everyone
I don't think every hospital requires a sleep apnoea test unless you have had problems with this in the past
Where you having your surgery?

See answers below:

Hi all,

ive read, and read and read through the forum and have come across a few things i dont understand or cant find the answer too...if anyone can help, id be grateful.....

1 - What does RNY stand for?
Roux en y. it basically refers to the shape of the roux limb after surgery, where the roux limb is the connection to the small intestine iirc.

2 - Why do some people have an edoscopy and some dont?
Because every hospital does everything differently! Some basic advice is similar at most, but basically follow what your bariatric team tells you first and then advice from here second.
3 - What is a seminar and do you HAVE to attend it?
From my understanding, some hospitals ask you to attend a group seminar as part of the assessment procedure and yes you do otherwise you don't progress to the next step. I didn't have to so hopefully someone will be along who can help more
4 - Does everyone have a sleep apneoa test?
Again, no. I am already diagnosed, so didn't have one, other hospitals don't ask for that info etc. I would definitely recommend you do one if you have the option as this can affect your personal risk under anesthesia.

There are more.....but ive forgotten them lol. I'll come back with more later lol

oohh thanks for the info!!

my first app is at the Heartlands Hosp in Birmingham, but there are 3/4 around the area, and from reading on here, they can ask people to transfer to help with waiting times, so not 100% sure yet...hmmm

Yve, ive had 4 operations in 5 years now, there are no probs with anaesthetic or coming out of it, i dont have any sleeping problems, and only snore if im drunk lol

i will obviously do as the team tell me, but i want to be prepared...if i know what they are talking about then it will go in, otherwise ill spend the whole meeting taking notes and not listening to what they are saying lol

Back