• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just like Christmas!

novamay

Born Free
Yey! Only 2 more sleeps til my Balloon. :talk017:

My bag is packed and I've said my ta-ra's to the larger portions. I can't wait - I'm so excited I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight or Thursday night....feels just like Christmas - just hope it doesn't snow in Sunderland!

Its my last day at work today and the last day to eat as I'm liquids only tomorrow - got a few things planned to keep me occupied (including clearing out the back bedroom) and got plenty of NAS apple juice and diet lemonade in. :party0027::7834:

Bring it on!

Wishing you all the best xx

feels cold enough for snow in not so sunny sunderland!!!, Good Luck with ur op hope u have a smooth recovery xx

good luck

Good luck Hun x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hope everything went well

Hi all, thanks for the messages. I've finally remembered my password - its saved in a book at work and I've been off work since the balloon so couldn't log on....

Well, 'nilbymouth' day came and went and I was ok - I wasn't even hungry at all and I think it was because I knew that I HAD to do it.

Balloon day - the worst 20 minutes of my life but possibly the best decision I've made so far! Met Mr Mahawa and the doctors and nursing staff were great. The camera went down ok but I had difficulty when I had to swallow the balloon with my mouth open - found it practically impossible; and I have a cockily throat so was throwing up too (sorry TMI). But got there on the second go.

Went back to the ward after the procedure and Andy helped to change into my pjs and get me into bed. I tried going for little walks later in the afternoon and on the third circuit I threw up - just clear fluid. Vommed just a couple to times through the night but it wasn't too bad. Nausea and sickness stopped by Monday, but on Tuesday I got the period from hell... and on Wednesday I got the runs (sorry :eek: again TMI). Think my body must have gone into shock. This lasted til Friday and on Saturday I came down with a nasty cold - still got it! I went to my GP on Tuesday for a sick note for this week because of the cold but would have gone back to work otherwise. GP asked if he could weigh me and I have lost 7kg (just shy of 15.5lbs) in 11 days post balloon:wow:Flippin miracle!

Eating - I know its early days but I don't have much of an appetite - hallelujah!

I don't feel bloated full when I eat - just comfortable. I have gone back to fruit and fibre (1-2 oz) for breakfast as I can't stand weetabix and I find that FNF fills me up nicely with just a small portion. Lunch is half tin of soup and a ryvita with cheese triangle; or small slice of bread. Tea is a normal meal that I make for Andy (eg cottage pie, chicken dinner, or fish, rice n veg) and I have a bit of it on a side plate. A small piece of fruit or half a pot of yogurt for afters. I have a milky Ovaltine about an hour before I go to bed. My cats eat more than me now.

Thankfully I don't get the ravenous hunger that I would normally get when dieting - its just feels like I'm ready for my tea and I enjoy what I have only in very small amounts.

I go back to see the bariatric nurse on the 8th March and start seeing the psch on 12th March. I'm quietly confident that I can cope with restriction and feel that I'm off to a good start as I don't really miss anything food-wise (other than being able to drink a full cup of tea!) - just hope it lasts.

I've been asked if I still want to go ahead with bypass if I can lose some weight with the balloon. At the moment its a definite yes. I think I can deal with restriction and I'm happy enough with small meals - I don't want to overeat and risk stretching my stomach even more as I don't want to lose the restriction - if that makes sense? And to be honest its a blessed relief to not be constantly thinking about eating.

Well dun Hun ur doing great ;) x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hi congratulations sounds like your doing fab!

Sorry I don't your journey but can I just ask why you've had the balloon first?

Hi Louisa,

Don't mind you asking at all but it might be a bit rambly. Sunderland do a quick pscyh evaluation (you fill in a form on how you are feeling) when you see the nurse at your first appointment but they don't force you to see the pscyhologist unless you want to. I actually asked if I could see someone to help with my emotional eating problems.

The surgeon had ok'd me for the bypass in May last year but I'd not seen the Psychiatrist at that point. After seeing the Psychiatrist he said that as I am an emotional AND volume eater I might struggle with the restriction the bypass would involve so he suggested that I have the balloon to see how I go - if I can get on without turning to food for comfort when upset, etc; or miss eating large meals. I was upset when he wouldn't support the bypass, but I'm over it now... and really happy where I am at the moment.

I have to go back and have more counselling while I have the balloon in to help me adjust mentally, so that when the balloon is taken out I don't go back to my old eating patterns.

Its still early days, but I can say I don't miss the volume; plus I've just had 14 days stuck in the house and I wasn't in the least tempted to stuff me face from boredom as I normally would! :D

I also can still go ahead with the bypass if I want to once the balloon is out. If I can lose some weight with the balloon and find coping mechanisms other than food then the psychiatrist would be happy for me to go ahead with bypass. Also if I weigh less by then then it'll mean that the op will potentially be safer for me and easier for the surgeon too.

Back