• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just not good enough

wannaloose18stone

From The Black Country
Found out yesterday at my first visit to my diet clinic (since the op) who refered me to my surgeon at another hospital and who are now supposed to be taking care of me that I was the FIRST patient they had refered from that hospital to go for surgery and they they had only sent 2 in total so far, so in essence I am there guinny pig. They didnt tell me that when they sent me for the op though and they never explained to me what the long term risks are for having this op are.
It's just not good enough I dont think. They are playing with peoples lives here.

Ok the obesity will kill you eventually but so will the op if you dont take really good care of yourself post op long term, this should be told to us before the op I think, I shouldnt have to look it up on the internet. :mad::confused:

Hi

I understand how your feeling, though I did my op privately through healthier weight, who in my opinion were absolutely spot on, the service i got was first class, i have constant access to the practice nurse in case i need medical advise, a hot line direct to my consultant and a dedicated dietician that calls me every week, the pre and post op literature is also excellent.
If you want to know anything regarding vitimins, or nutricial advice PM me direct and i'll be happy to share what i have !

best wishes

Richard :D

Hi

I understand how your feeling, though I did my op privately through healthier weight, who in my opinion were absolutely spot on, the service i got was first class, i have constant access to the practice nurse in case i need medical advise, a hot line direct to my consultant and a dedicated dietician that calls me every week, the pre and post op literature is also excellent.
If you want to know anything regarding vitimins, or nutricial advice PM me direct and i'll be happy to share what i have !

best wishes

Richard :D

Now that sounds like good service. :D

I'm NHS and cannot fault the pre or post operative care. I went through 18 months of pre-op care, including in depth psyche evaluation (I still see the psyche post op), one to one fortnightly appointments with the bariatric co-ordinator to work out my problematic eating habits and crack them before the surgery and also to re-educate as to healthy eating etc. Post-op I get 2 years full care, with a dietician and nurses on call 24-7 aswell as regular check ups with the dietician and surgeon (not one of his registrars).

So some PCTs are getting it right.

As to research, some responsibility has to lie with the patient to research any medical procedure to make sure they are 100% happy with having it before signing to say they are.

I'm NHS and cannot fault the pre or post operative care. I went through 18 months of pre-op care, including in depth psyche evaluation (I still see the psyche post op), one to one fortnightly appointments with the bariatric co-ordinator to work out my problematic eating habits and crack them before the surgery and also to re-educate as to healthy eating etc. Post-op I get 2 years full care, with a dietician and nurses on call 24-7 aswell as regular check ups with the dietician and surgeon (not one of his registrars).

So some PCTs are getting it right.

As to research, some responsibility has to lie with the patient to research any medical procedure to make sure they are 100% happy with having it before signing to say they are.

Nope this wasn't the case with mine Shel, i was shown everything in detail through a power point presentation and he used a minature model to show me exactly what happens, i was told about the pre op and what to expect, my sugeon and his particular skills, the medical team at the private hospital i was being admitted at, details of post op and what to expect, the diet and nutritional suppliments i would need to follow, they also provided me with a detailed folder of everything i needed to know, plus answered all my questions in detail ! and are still answering them now.

The after care you recieve will make a big difference to your long term success with the ban dor bypass ! your correct that it is good to do your own research, but the consultant and medical team responsable for your welfare have a responsability towards you pre and post your op whether you chose to pay and go private or via the NHS !

Just my opinion though ! :D

Nope this wasn't the case with mine Shel, i was shown everything in detail through a power point presentation and he used a minature model to show me exactly what happens, i was told about the pre op and what to expect, my sugeon and his particular skills, the medical team at the private hospital i was being admitted at, details of post op and what to expect, the diet and nutritional suppliments i would need to follow, they also provided me with a detailed folder of everything i needed to know, plus answered all my questions in detail ! and are still answering them now.

The after care you recieve will make a big difference to your long term success with the ban dor bypass ! your correct that it is good to do your own research, but the consultant and medical team responsable for your welfare have a responsability towards you pre and post your op whether you chose to pay and go private or via the NHS !

Just my opinion though ! :D

I agree.......

Thats why I said some responsibility Richard, not all responsibility, and that might be as simple as asking questions and insisting on being given the relevant information :)

Thats why I said some responsibility Richard, not all responsibility, and that might be as simple as asking questions and insisting on being given the relevant information :)

I agree, though i feel you should be given every bit of the details without having to ask or request them, the bypass is a life changing thing, paitents should be very well informed before hand in able to make an informed decision, lets be honest how much does it take to create a printed out folder with pictures and details of the op, foods and vitimins your required to take to provide the paitent with during there initial consultantion ?

maybe my experience is slightly different as i went private and paid a shed load of money for my op, the service i recieved was second to none. :D

wannaloose18stone, I know what you mean. To be honest, if I hadn't researched extensively (which wasn't easy, particularly in the UK) then I would have known nothing as I wasn't told a thing - pre-op, post-op or long-term!! As you say, we shouldn't have to look it up on the internet, even a basic info pack would be something. Apparently it is based on the fact that some people want to know EVERYTHING & others just want the basics! At least being asked would help!!
I can't really knock the NHS as without them, I would never have been able to have had such an op at all but .. I think the money lies in the Private Sector for this journey - they have the resources for the info & informing patients. Due to patients paying for what they are getting, they have more of an obligation to deliver.

Having said this, my consultant did give me his private card, which has his e-mail & secretary contact for use at any time if there is a problem. His Personal Medical Assistant also gave me a direct mobile number (though unsure where it goes to :p!) & I can call the Unit at any time if there is a problem. Also, like Richard, the dietician calls me every week & I can check anything with her.

Shel, where were you done? I have heard that Luton & Dunstable seem to do the same thing that you have had the benefits of. It is certainly a fantastic service!! Now THAT is the way to do it!! FANTASTIC way to begin a lifelime of Weight Loss Surgery Care!! (Lucky you!) I can't understand how some (your!) PCTs can get it right - & so well! - while others do nothing! It should be a standard, uniform way surely?
Yes, to a degree, some responsibility has to lie with the patient to research any medical procedure to make sure they are 100% happy with having it before signing to say they are but, like I said, there is such little info in the UK & the States do things totally different. The info can be quite 'heavy' & overwhelming & to be honest, they can be rather dramatic in their interpretations!! :rolleyes: YOUR providers can get it right, why can't others?!?!

Besides, how can you ask questions if you have no idea what you are facing or what to ask?!

As Richard says

...how much does it take to create a printed out folder with pictures and details of the op, foods and vitimins your required to take to provide the paitent with during there initial consultation ?

maybe my experience is slightly different as i went private and paid a shed load of money for my op, the service i recieved was second to none. :D

I think there-in lies the answer .. the "shed load of money" for the op!! Shel, you appear the exception to the rules in NHS :sigh:!!

Having said all this, I can't complain as I haven't really had any problems. But, although I know it is early days (just 7 weeks post-op) & I DID do extensive research where possible so knew what to expect to a degree, if it weren't for my very personal (optimistic!) reasoning, I would not have had the op! (But ask me again in a year!!)

Sorry for babbling!! But I am with you wannaloose18stone!! :p

Im still pre op but the consultations, tests and info i have been given is fantastic. I hadent even considered WLS and itwas the endocrainologist who surgested a bypass when i was refered to him by my gp to his weight loss clinic. He went into detail as to why he was surgesting it I have had the risks explained and was left with very few questions. The whole psycological assesment was so reassuring and at every step of the way it has been impressed upon me about the need for long term suppliments and follow up. Im NHS and it is only recently that the surgeon they use in my hospital has changed and when i met him last week he acually said that he wished all his patients were as well informed as i was. I also came away from his consultation with a shed load of info pre and post op diets. pictures of how a bypass is done etc etc.
Im under the same surgeon as richard and feel very blessed for that. He himself has a fantastic web site with fantastic info on and i have been given phone numbers from the diatition, psycologist etc and been told that if i have a question no matter how silly i think it may be phone and ask.
hc

I'm under Wirral PCT Ditzy :)

im post op band and can say its been a brilliant experience for me pre and post op care have been great any questions that wernt covered in the lititature or during consultation i have just rung nurses or dieticians and have been fully answered i think it does depend on the area you live and the team your under

w18S - Dude your right, it takes nothing to produce the literature and give the paitent the full picture before or during the initial consultation.

Some really good points - the op costs almost the same whether your private or NHS, there will be variences in the hospital costs.

When i went for my inital consultation i was in shock and really didn't know what i wanted to ask other than the obvious question, so the consultant talking me through the procedure, showing me the statistics and what i could expect long term answered the questions for me before i even knew what to ask. I guess its al part of the experience, we all know the NHS is crap and therefore if you cant afford to pay and go private you have to maybe lower your expectation a little ! :D

i am 7 months post op (nhs) the only follow up i have had was at 5 weeks post op. i have lost 5 stones, but my weight is static now, i am eating the same as i was before, i have no trouble with bread, meats or other foods that people have trouble with. I never feel full, but also i never feel hungry, i have no trouble with sugars or fats. but for the scars on my tum, and the 5 stone loss i would say i never had the bypass done.

i am 7 months post op (nhs) the only follow up i have had was at 5 weeks post op. i have lost 5 stones, but my weight is static now, i am eating the same as i was before, i have no trouble with bread, meats or other foods that people have trouble with. I never feel full, but also i never feel hungry, i have no trouble with sugars or fats. but for the scars on my tum, and the 5 stone loss i would say i never had the bypass done.

Oh that must be sooo nice! Mind you, I am only just 7 WEEKS so who knows in a couple of months ... just still trying to figure stuff out right now - daren't try the fats & sugar just yet though! :)

Hi Alison,

Your aftercare is shocking! I'd be at my GP demanding access to a bariatric dietician etc.

Are you managing to do any exercise?

I had mine done through the NHS. I had my initial consultation, pre op clinic appointment and that was it. i then went in for my op and had 10 mins to talk to the consultant prior to going to theatre. I have only been seen once post op at around 6 weeks. i was due to be seen on monday but they have cancelled that appointment so i am now not being seen till the end of November. I think my post op care has been s*** and with the difficulties i have had re hair loss and that they haven't been able to help me at all.

am really disappointed with the aftercare i have received and plan to make this clear to them on my next visit (if they don't cancel that one too!!!)

hi i have never been good at exercise, but i can walk now without getting out of breath, i do walk more.
i work for my gp so that makes it harder to see about things.

what hospital did you have your op at? I would be ringing PALS and having a word with them as its not good enough. Did they give you a reason why your appointment was cancelled?? xx

hi i have never been good at exercise, but i can walk now without getting out of breath, i do walk more.
i work for my gp so that makes it harder to see about things.

The material I was given pre and post op, and all the advice, made it clear that there comes a point where to help the weight shift you have to exercise, so maybe you've reached that point? I think most of us dislike exercise, but it's a necessary evil. Is there any type that you do enjoy, swimming, aqua aerobics, any sports? even going and flying a kite in all this wind helps :) As you get lighter and fitter you'll find it easier, and hopefully grow to enjoy it.

Back