• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused and panicking.

Rebirth

Hi all, I've finally managed how to get onto this page. I am waiting to see if the PCT will agree funding for a gastric by pass, apparently they meet tomorrow. I've been sent information about the Spire hospital and Salford hospital so that I can choose my provider. I've found the information useless as they give me no idea as to surgeons etc. I went to the weight loss support group in July and Dr Ammori's name was mentioned a lot. As he appears to work for both hospitals this does not help with my choice. Your information re history, does not tell me where you had your op. Could any of you give me any advice as to the best one regarding care both pre/post op and long term? Thanks in anticipation.

hi Rebirth welcome to mini's. Sorry i cant about the info but im sure one of the resident intel will be along to help soon :)

Hi rebirth, given the choice I'd chose private every time, because the post op infection rates etc are always considerably lower. They are much more careful about MRSA/C-Diff etc because they have to be, or they lose custom. If it's the same surgeon in both then that would be the decider for me!

Hi rebirth, given the choice I'd chose private every time, because the post op infection rates etc are always considerably lower. They are much more careful about MRSA/C-Diff etc because they have to be, or they lose custom. If it's the same surgeon in both then that would be the decider for me!

Hello there,

Whilst I agree to an extent to this , I have to some what disagree also, and that is only due to the hospitals I have been treated at Private/Nhs have both followed the same procedures and testings and after care and not cut corners (if thats the right word :rolleyes:) . So as I said it maybe just the luck of the hospitals I have been treated at, not all are the same.

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi Rebirth, I had my surgery at the spire in manchester my surgeon was mr Ammori, The spire is more like a hotel than a hospital L.O.L carpets throughout you get shown to your private room, also a free vending machine Ha! Ha! go for it girl :D:D G.M

Sounds great, just wondering what use a free vending machine was to you tho? Hmmm hang on, visitors/kids lol, yup sounds attractive to me too.......... ;)

I cant help sorry as I'm still waiting but Ive heard Dr Ammoris name mentioned a lot on here and all positive. I wish I could see him but I'm outside his area.

Good Luck with whatever you decide x

Hopeful

Thank you all for your replies. I think I must be doing something wrong, when I checked an hour ago there were none and now I've found all you wonderful people have replied.

Does it make any difference as to how long you have to wait for your op if you go with the NHS or Spire? If there are complications is the Spire equipped to deal with them or do you have to be transferred?

Rebirth

Thank you so much G.M. for your reply. Did you have to wait long for your surgery? Were you able to talk to others who were having the op at the same time? What is the support group like at the Spire?
Have you had any complications and if so, were they dealt with effectively? How are you doing now? Any regrets?

Rebirth

Hi ! I only waited 12 weeks from begining to my op date (8th April 09- 10th July 09) I got most of my information from Mini-Mins I made loads of friends on here we are just like 1 big happy family.:grouphugg:To be honest with the talking to others you will be glad of the rest after your op any-way. The support group at the salford royal is absorlutley fab you can still attend even if you are booked for the spire. You will get to meet the lovely nic & carole and all the other lovely ladies who attend. I have had none whatsoever of complications I was going to the loo unaided after 2 hours of my op, I went to the spire at 7.00am my op was done at 12.00 noon and I was discharged at 11.00am the next morning. I am now nearly 3 weeks post op and have lost 2.5 stone. So dont you worry everythings just rosy L.O.L I hope this info is useful to you as I can honestly say its the truth to the end. Kind regards G.Mxxx:p TE=Rebirth;1850832]Thank you so much G.M. for your reply. Did you have to wait long for your surgery? Were you able to talk to others who were having the op at the same time? What is the support group like at the Spire?
Have you had any complications and if so, were they dealt with effectively? How are you doing now? Any regrets?

Rebirth[/QUOTE]

HiRebirth
Welcome to minis.I'm having my op next week at Spire manchester(privately) despite living in glasgow.Main reason for that was to get Mr Ammori who as you will see from posts here is def a "wanted" man. You will get plenty of support on here it'sa great "gang" to be part of. Gailmichelle well done on your weight loss so far and can i just say i appreciate your posts on Spire and Mr Ammori as the nerves are beginning to kick in here xx

"Good Luck" Allie you have always supported me from day 1 just like I am going to do for you!! If you ever need me I am here for you . Take care. Gail.xx:553:
HiRebirth
Welcome to minis.I'm having my op next week at Spire manchester(privately) despite living in glasgow.Main reason for that was to get Mr Ammori who as you will see from posts here is def a "wanted" man. You will get plenty of support on here it'sa great "gang" to be part of. Gailmichelle well done on your weight loss so far and can i just say i appreciate your posts on Spire and Mr Ammori as the nerves are beginning to kick in here xx

Ive done both!!!

Hi there, after being referred for surgery in March I spent a great deal of time toing and froing to Salford with very mixed messages! my first visit was great...stick to a diet, have some test and we will do surgery. I did it all....second visit "carry on and come here to get weighed, you dont need surgery." I put my foot down and they agree depending on funding! 2 weeks later the PCT phoned to say they had agreed it and would i like to go to Spire, had my consultation and date for surgery within 2 weeks!!!! go with Spire!!!!

Thank you GM, Allie and Suzieblue for all the information. You have certainly helped me decide what to do. I can now write to the PCT with my choice. I will be phoning them later on today to see if funding has been approved, I really hope it has. I am so glad I can still attend the Salford support group as they were all very welcoming and supportive when I went to the July meeting.

I am so glad that a kind person at the meeting gave me this web page. It has been a life saver, as well as inspirational, looking at all your diaries and the information. I think I'll direct my husband and sister to this site so they can see how much difference this op could make to my life. I am looking forward to having more mobility and being able to walk in the country with my children.

I think I must be thick??? What does lol mean? A lot of people seem to use it on this site.

love

Rebirth

Just to let you all know...I heard yesterday that the PCT has agreed to fund my surgery. I have asked to see Mr Ammori at the Spire hospital as I think the waiting list is a little shorter. Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to start my diary soon when I have more info.

Rebirth

Just to let you all know...I heard yesterday that the PCT has agreed to fund my surgery. I have asked to see Mr Ammori at the Spire hospital as I think the waiting list is a little shorter. Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to start my diary soon when I have more info.

Rebirth

Thats fantastic news! hope you get your date soon :D

Back