• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Length of admission

cat1972

Hi guys, operation date for Bypass is 30th Oct at Derby, to say I'm nervous is an understatement!!
Start the lovely pre op diet next week. Just wanted an idea of how long I will have to stay in once op is completed? I'm on the afternoon and evening list on the 30th. Also I have Hiatus hernia, will they repair at same time as completing bypass or will that be a separate op? Thanks Cat x

Hi cat I'm having my hernia done with my bypass fingers crossed they do yours to, iv heard u are in 2 nights that's what my surgeon told me x

Hi cat, I was bypassed at Derby last year. The usual stay for bypassers is two days. I stayed for four, as I had very low blood pressure and tachycardia post op. This was due to my Iga deficiency.

There's a few of us on here that have had bypasses at Derby. I'm sure they'll add to this thread when they see it. Good luck with your pre op diet. It's not easy, but the prize at the end is very much worth it :)

Hi cat I was advised 3 nights (albyn hospital, aberdeen) released after 2. Good luck and a speedy recovery x

2 nights sounds good :) my surgeon is Mr Ahmed, who did you have? I just want it over with now, the nerves have really kicked in. I have 2 weeks leave booked and am hoping to only have a week sick following this.. Thanks for your replies they are reassuring xx

2 nights sounds good :) my surgeon is Mr Ahmed, who did you have? I just want it over with now, the nerves have really kicked in. I have 2 weeks leave booked and am hoping to only have a week sick following this.. Thanks for your replies they are reassuring xx

I was bypassed by mr Leeder. The staff on the ward are absolutely lovely, you'll be well looked after. It's perfectly natural to have nerves. The time off post op really depends on your job role. Ask the advice of the team, they'll let you know how long you should have. Good luck and keep is updated with your progress xx

I stayed for an extra third night as was a 'bit' rough aka loved it so much I thought it would be nicer than going home :8855:

I felt absolutely totally crap/dead for about a week :cry: was in much more pain with my gastric band rather than bypass though.

Onwards and upwards every day though.

Thanks guys :) I had me Leader for my band in 2007 and mr Ahmed removed it in 2010, so hopefully reassured in in safe hands. Il let you know how I get on.. Here's to thinner times. Cat xx

I had my bypass done at derby nearly 4weeks ago now,I went in on the Thursday and was discharged Sunday afternoon. I was in surgery for a long time as my pre op diet didn't shrink my liver enough and my surgeon found it difficult to operate on me. I also had a hernia repair x my best advice is get up and walk as soon as u can xx

I had my bypass last Thursday and was out Friday at 4pm :)

My surgeon is known for his bish bash bosh attitude though :p

Suited me

2 nights 3 days for me...

The delight of being on the commode a few hours after the op with the porters et all walking the corridor opposite the window will never leave me..at that point I really couldn't pee the thought of being seen hahaha... make sure your well n truly looked after when you get home rest sleep and don't expect to much of yourself but the sooner you move the better

Lots of variations on length of stay.. I'm having hernia repair at same time as bypass so guessing am looking at about a 3 night stay.. How are you all feeling and has it been difficult getting over the op? Have only booked 2 weeks leave off work but am guessing I will have to go sick for a week or 2 also x

Lots of variations on length of stay.. I'm having hernia repair at same time as bypass so guessing am looking at about a 3 night stay.. How are you all feeling and has it been difficult getting over the op? Have only booked 2 weeks leave off work but am guessing I will have to go sick for a week or 2 also x
hi cat I also had my hernia repaired the same time as my sleeve I went in to down at 4.30 last Saturday 5/10/13 left the hospital Tuesday 10 am been a week today, gotta say first few days were rough lot of discomfort Tuesday pretty much the same but Wednesday was a turning point :) I came off the pain killers Thursday still a little stiff but managed to go in town today to get my nails done ;-)

Good luck with your op x

Thanks Sarah... That's good news one week out and getting nails done :) hope things are still improving. How long do you think you will be off work? Xx

Thanks Sarah... That's good news one week out and getting nails done :) hope things are still improving. How long do you think you will be off work? Xx
getting better every day although I'm getting tired really quick probably due to the lack of food, i don't work but I'd say you probably want two weeks off to be fully recovered x

I was signed off work for four weeks after my bypass,and as I was still so tired he's signed me off til 30th October. Make sure ur body is fully healed before going back,suppose it depends on your job as well. I'm a care assistant and do heavy stuff

Sounds like Length of time off depends on how strenuous the job is... I'm a mental health nurse but work in management... My employer is being really supportive and and I'm gonna be office based when I go back for a few weeks until I am able to get involved in restraints on the ward. Have read a lot of the posts on here and a lot of people saying how tiring the first few weeks can be x

I had my hiatus hernia repaired at the same time as the bypass. I climbed onto the operating table at 8.30am on a Tuesday, and was sent home on the Friday early pm. I took two weeks minus a day off work. Didn't feel I needed more but was glad to be off while I was on simple fluids as I was very weak (had done four weeks pre-op LSD on 600cals a day, so didn't have much to give TBH). x

Back