• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Let the journey commence

Jules65

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the group but I have been reading all your comments / experiences for a few months.
I have never been a skinny bird but the last 5 years or so I have really struggled, and now feel that it is affecting my health. I have sleep apnea, swollen glands fingers and feet as well as being breathless. All test reveal that it's my weight (19st 8lbs) the heaviest I have ever been even when I was 9 months pregnant.
I can lose weight but I am unable to maintain it, putting on the weight I have lost plus a few extra pounds.
I am under the NHS and have been since November 2017 , but I am seriously thinking about going the private route.
I was wondering if any member have had or waiting to have weight loss surgery under Mr Richardson? What surgery you had and of course your experiences? My consultation is Friday 18 May 2018 at Dolan Park hospital in Bromsgrove.
I would love to hear from any of you
Best wishes Jules x

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

Good luck with the consultation too.

Which op are you considering? x

Hello and welcome.

Good luck with the consultation too.

Which op are you considering? x

Hi Mazza,

I have read so much information I think I could do the Op myself

I looked at the band and sleeve and decided that the gastric sleeve would be the one I would be more interested in.
I can see you had the band and the sleeve ? Did the band not suit you ?

Also I have a few work colleagues that had the band and only one of them were successful with it.
The others either were poorly with severe sickness or didn't lose as much as they were hoping for.

My sister works at the Spire Parkway in Damson Wood, Mr Super is at the top of his game for bands, but it's not for me.

I would be interesting to hear your story

Regards J

Hi and welcome, I think we can all relate to your storey, losing weight is indeed the easy part,it’s keeping it off that’s a struggle. This really isn’t the easy option as I’m sure your aware, the best advice I can give is to use your waiting time to research absolutely everything you can about wls, look forward to your updates x

Hi and welcome, I think we can all relate to your storey, losing weight is indeed the easy part,it’s keeping it off that’s a struggle. This really isn’t the easy option as I’m sure your aware, the best advice I can give is to use your waiting time to research absolutely everything you can about wls, look forward to your updates x
Hi and welcome Julie at least your going to see your surgeon now I don’t know your hospital but I bet there are other people on here that have I am with Luton and Dunstable just had a sleeve 16 days ago hope you find some answers and move up the ladder there is some lovely people on here that are really helpful and can answer all your questionsx

Thanks Bling Babe for your comments, I totally agreed that WLS is not only a major operation but it's also life changing and I would recommend anyone to try every thing possible before you go down the Surgery route.

I like many of us have try weight watchers, slimming world, Atkins diet, starting swimming again, bought a vibrating and running machine, joined a gym, and even adopted a dog( whom I love dearly ) and when not at work done the walks.

It is now affecting my health and at 53 and a 14 year old daughter , I want to do everything possible to see her grow up.

What made you decide to go down the surgery route?

Hi and welcome Julie at least your going to see your surgeon now I don’t know your hospital but I bet there are other people on here that have I am with Luton and Dunstable just had a sleeve 16 days ago hope you find some answers and move up the ladder there is some lovely people on here that are really helpful and can answer all your questionsx

Thanks Sandra, I hope you are making a good recovery.

I am under the NHS Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham, but I have been told that even if they agree to my funding at the end of the year, which theres no guaranteed, then it wouldn't be until the end of 2019.

If I was in my 30's that wouldn't be so bad,but I'm in my 50's with a 14 year old, hence why I am speaking about private surgery and not NHS, although we have the best NHS in the world

I will keep you updated after the 18th , in the meantime continue to make a good recovery

Jules xx

Hi Mazza,
I have read so much information I think I could do the Op myself
I looked at the band and sleeve and decided that the gastric sleeve would be the one I would be more interested in.
I can see you had the band and the sleeve ? Did the band not suit you ?
Also I have a few work colleagues that had the band and only one of them were successful with it.
The others either were poorly with severe sickness or didn't lose as much as they were hoping for.
My sister works at the Spire Parkway in Damson Wood, Mr Super is at the top of his game for bands, but it's not for me.
I would be interesting to hear your story
Regards J

Hi @Jules65, yes I've had a long journey which included having a band and being very successful with it, to becoming very ill and having to have it removed and eventually having my sleeve.

I have a diary thread on here but it goes back to 2009 but that's a very brief summary! x

Hi jules I’m 61 now sorry you have to wait til 2019 mine took about 16 months the time goes quick and I wish you luck on your journey I am feeling good and glad that it’s all over op wise it is down to me now that it works I have lost 12pounds nearly a stone since op 18 days ago and pleased keep with it it will happen age don’t matterxx
Thanks Sandra, I hope you are making a good recovery.

I am under the NHS Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham, but I have been told that even if they agree to my funding at the end of the year, which theres no guaranteed, then it wouldn't be until the end of 2019.

If I was in my 30's that wouldn't be so bad,but I'm in my 50's with a 14 year old, hence why I am speaking about private surgery and not NHS, although we have the best NHS in the world

I will keep you updated after the 18th , in the meantime continue to make a good recovery

Jules xx
e

Thanks All for your reply' s , I will update you all after my consultation on Friday.
Thanks for your support x

Thanks Bling Babe for your comments, I totally agreed that WLS is not only a major operation but it's also life changing and I would recommend anyone to try every thing possible before you go down the Surgery route.

I like many of us have try weight watchers, slimming world, Atkins diet, starting swimming again, bought a vibrating and running machine, joined a gym, and even adopted a dog( whom I love dearly ) and when not at work done the walks.

It is now affecting my health and at 53 and a 14 year old daughter , I want to do everything possible to see her grow up.

What made you decide to go down the surgery route?
Hiya, I’ve spent my whole life yo yo dieting, I’m 54, then I got diabetes and I was petrified of losing my arms, legs or eyesight but even that didn’t kick me into touch and I continued to gain weight, I was in oral medication and injecting daily with a pre-insulin medication, I have 8 grandchildren and I wanted to see them grow up. I wish you luck in whatever you decide xx

Hiya, I’ve spent my whole life yo yo dieting, I’m 54, then I got diabetes and I was petrified of losing my arms, legs or eyesight but even that didn’t kick me into touch and I continued to gain weight, I was in oral medication and injecting daily with a pre-insulin medication, I have 8 grandchildren and I wanted to see them grow up. I wish you luck in whatever you decide xx

Thanks Blinge Babe , I think we all have a story to tell, thanks for telling me yours. I didn't have my daughter until I was 39 and I lost her twin while I was pregnant, my hubby is also older than me and the fear of us not being here to watch her grown up does worry me, so I can relate to how you feel about your grandchildren.
Speedy recovery xxx

Well I've been to see Mr Richardson on Friday and decided to book to have the gastric sleeve, Awaiting for the dietician to contact me in the next couple of weeks.
Surgery date - Wednesday 4th July 2018 at the Spire Parkway, Solihull
I would be interested to hear about anyone else experience of weight loss surgery at this hospital.
I hope all the Post Op people are doing well and making a good recovery. Xx

That’s great news, I’m bypassed but they will be loads of sleevers on here for advice, and we all offer support too. Good luck, when do you start you lrd? Xx

That’s great news, I’m bypassed but they will be loads of sleevers on here for advice, and we all offer support too. Good luck, when do you start you lrd? Xx
Hi Hun, is that the liquid or light diet ? Apparently it's at least 2 weeks before surgery but the dietician will be in touch in the next week or so to confirm.
I'm excited and worried at the same time, is that normal ?

Hi Hun, is that the liquid or light diet ? Apparently it's at least 2 weeks before surgery but the dietician will be in touch in the next week or so to confirm.
I'm excited and worried at the same time, is that normal ?
Aw bless you, yes that is absolutely perfectly normal, me personally I wasn’t worried about the surgery but I was very worried about missing all the food that helped to put me in this situation (food mourning). But so far so good, I’ve managed to make good choice and to be honest all the wrong things I used to eat I find easy to ignore (at the moment) I’m sure this will become more difficult as time goes on and I still worry that I won’t be able to resist but at the end of the day I must, this has been such a great opportunity to change my life I really don’t want to fail. What is it the worries you? Yes the lrd is the pre-op liquid eg milk or low fat/calorie, at Luton we don’t get a choice it’s milk or nothing but don’t worry if you get that it’s actually a lot easier than it sounds and it takes away food choices which a lot of us find helpful, I found the thought of starting it much much worse than actually doing it. Xxx

Aw bless you, yes that is absolutely perfectly normal, me personally I wasn’t worried about the surgery but I was very worried about missing all the food that helped to put me in this situation (food mourning). But so far so good, I’ve managed to make good choice and to be honest all the wrong things I used to eat I find easy to ignore (at the moment) I’m sure this will become more difficult as time goes on and I still worry that I won’t be able to resist but at the end of the day I must, this has been such a great opportunity to change my life I really don’t want to fail. What is it the worries you? Yes the lrd is the pre-op liquid eg milk or low fat/calorie, at Luton we don’t get a choice it’s milk or nothing but don’t worry if you get that it’s actually a lot easier than it sounds and it takes away food choices which a lot of us find helpful, I found the thought of starting it much much worse than actually doing it. Xxx

I think you have done brilliantly, already you have lost nearly 4 stone !!!! Wow
You are a success story, you are so positive and determined that you will achieve your goal and with support from family,friends and this group you are going to smash it !!!!
Everything that I read says that apart from the band other weight loss surgery changes your relationship with food, I do hope so.
I think it's a combination of things that concerns me , first I've never had anaesthetic, even when I had my daughter by C Section it was a spinal block. So something completely new which makes you think, hope I'm ok, hope I don't have a reaction to the drugs etc. Then I think " hope my recovery is good "
I feel excited because it's a tool to help me lose weight , improve my health and hopefully enjoying seeing daughter grow up.
Your doing great Blimg Babe . X

I think you have done brilliantly, already you have lost nearly 4 stone !!!! Wow
You are a success story, you are so positive and determined that you will achieve your goal and with support from family,friends and this group you are going to smash it !!!!
Everything that I read says that apart from the band other weight loss surgery changes your relationship with food, I do hope so.
I think it's a combination of things that concerns me , first I've never had anaesthetic, even when I had my daughter by C Section it was a spinal block. So something completely new which makes you think, hope I'm ok, hope I don't have a reaction to the drugs etc. Then I think " hope my recovery is good "
I feel excited because it's a tool to help me lose weight , improve my health and hopefully enjoying seeing daughter grow up.
Your doing great Bling Babe . X

Your doing great Blimg Babe . X
Hi Jules I think we are all apprehensive about what will happen and everyone is different. I can’t tolerate/don’t particularly enjoy alcohol any more and ice cream really upsets my bypass which is then known as the bitch! I am so glad I had this surgery and you will be too I am certain of it xxx

Back