• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver reducing diet...6 wks???????

Hi all!

I don't have my date for op yet but been told it should be between 2/3mths. I saw the surgeon on Friday and signed all consent forms etc and he gave the leaflet for the diet. Which he said considering my size (22st9lb/size 24) I should follow for 6 wks!

Everywhere I have read seems to be saying it's 2wks and the type of work I do (healthcare assistant) is quite hard going and I'm worried that if I follow that diet for 6wks, on top of working 50 odd hrs a wk, I'm going to have no enegy at all.

So, my question is...has anyone else had to follow it for this amount of time and how did you cope, energy wise?!

I know I'm big, but I don't eat a huge amount as it is and that seems crazy!!!!

Thanks in advance!!
:cool:

Hi

I have seen people on here told to do it to lose 5% body weight and then again to reduce liver. I think the hospital I am at does it for 2 weeks.

Sorry I cannot be of more help!

I am a lot bigger than you. Your surgeon would have me on it for ages! Lol

lol everyone says I hold my weight well, unfortunately it still there lol
6wks just seems FOREVER! lol

Being 6'2.5" I get that too lol. But like you it's there. My response is I would carry size 12-14 much better lol.

6 weeks does seem long. Which pre op diet is it on the sheet?

Hello Angel

I think it depends on your surgeon like me I was a size 30 weighing just under 24 stone and I'm only 5'2. My BMI was over the recommend amount for surgery so my surgeon said I had to be on a 6 week pre op diet. I was told follow the diet to the letter which I did. I was told I could eat any veggies that grow above the ground as much as I wanted but to avoid any that grow below i.e potatoes, swede, carrots etc. I also had to give up sugar in my tea which was very hard as I had 3 sugars in each cup. I'm not going to tell you it was easy because it wasn't and many evenings I was crying with my hubby telling him I couldn't do it. He just kept telling me it would all be worth it and it is honest! We have to give ourselves the best chance we can. Make sure u have plenty of things to snack on that's healthy. YOU can do it hunny! Annie x

Great response Annie. I always forget that BMI figures a lot in their decisions :)

Being 6'2.5" I get that too lol. But like you it's there. My response is I would carry size 12-14 much better lol.

6 weeks does seem long. Which pre op diet is it on the sheet?

Wow, 6'2?? Am only 5'4! It is the low carb, high protein diet!

Hello Angel

I think it depends on your surgeon like me I was a size 30 weighing just under 24 stone and I'm only 5'2. My BMI was over the recommend amount for surgery so my surgeon said I had to be on a 6 week pre op diet. I was told follow the diet to the letter which I did. I was told I could eat any veggies that grow above the ground as much as I wanted but to avoid any that grow below i.e potatoes, swede, carrots etc. I also had to give up sugar in my tea which was very hard as I had 3 sugars in each cup. I'm not going to tell you it was easy because it wasn't and many evenings I was crying with my hubby telling him I couldn't do it. He just kept telling me it would all be worth it and it is honest! We have to give ourselves the best chance we can. Make sure u have plenty of things to snack on that's healthy. YOU can do it hunny! Annie x

I'm not a sweet person so sugar, choc, sweet, anthing like that won't be a prob but the carbs will be! Pasta is my FAV food and I eat very little meat so that's gonna be hard.
How did you find your energy levels were???

o gosh, i found mine very very hard to do... 6 weeks seems brutal i do know you can do a very low fat carb fat diet around 800 cals maybe ring up and ask... i did mine for 10 days and work in a officers mess and i struggled xx

Maybe you can use protein shakes instead of meat. With low carb, I usually get tired for a few days then tonnes of energy. I am doing low everything at the mo lol....but I feel 100% better than when I was eating crap lol

At least you do not have the milk diet... You can at least make low carb work in your favour. Plus cutting out bread, pasta etc is good practice for post op I believe :)

And yes, I am that tall lol x

As harsh as this may sound, if you've been told to do it for 6 weeks then do it!

You may find your energy levels dip between day 3 and 7 but honestly after that you'll be buzzing. Your body will adjust.

Remember post surgery your intake will be low carb high protein so as hard as it seems at least you'll be used to it.

Focus on the end goal, it's so worth it believe me.

Use us lot as a tool, whinge and moan and scream on here. We'll help you through the 6 weeks.

Good luck. X

Hi ya
I'm also a health care assistant for the nhs I too was to follow the plan for 6 wks although I got my date 5 wks b4 op so started straight away I started off 24 stone 13lb on day of my op (saturday)I was 21 stone 6lb it is hard goin but after a few days u get use to it I drunk lots and lots of water which helped and just think of the end results my surgeon said my liver was perfect and my op was about 11-11.30 I was bk in my room for 1.30-2.00 so it was pretty straight forwards I was home yesterday 24hrs after op, feeling tired and a bit tender but great to b home, some things ain't easy but if u follow the rules right from the start u carnt go wrong, yes some ppl only do it for a wk or 2 and r fine but if it's ur teams request u do it for 6 wks then ild follow the rules good luck if u need a chat I'm always here xx

O and I done the milk and yoghurt one too which was basically 5 yoghurts and 1 pint of milk lots of water and about 1-2 oxo's xx

Ditto the above the low carb is a doddle to the milk one.Just keep telling yourself you dont want to be turned away from the operating table not done!

Thanks all, I know I have to do it and I will!!! I've come this far.
Jus worried that I'll be comatose after 1 wk of working lmao

That's the spirit Angel!! :) You will do great!

Fuffs said:
That's the spirit Angel!! :) You will do great!

Thank yoo!!! Just gotta wait for my date now. I've been running home most days checking the post lol

I would be the same! lol

Back