• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

liver shrinking

As I may have my op on friday and only got two days they have said just to cut out carbs and sweet stuff as my BMI is not too high I should be ok. I think again it differs from surgeon to surgeon.....I will stick to it for the next two days anyway as I dont want them to get in there and see a massive liver!....xx

Okay I'm nowhere near needing to shrink my liver but I wondered if this is something that can be done using a vlcd like CD or LL???

I am on the waiting list for a Roux-en Y procedure and I wondered this too. Does anyone know?

Also, is liver shrinking only required if having the keyhole procedure?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Red,

You should see a dietician before your op, probably on your pre-op appointment, and they will go through the pre-op diet that your surgeon favours. If you want to try an alternative then they are the people to ask :)

Not sure if it's necessary for the open surgery, I would imagine so though as they still need to get behind the liver.

Didnt realise you had had open surgery wobbles. Do you mind me asking why. was it down to medical reasons or the surgeons preffered choice?
HC

I am on the waiting list for a Roux-en Y procedure and I wondered this too. Does anyone know?

Also, is liver shrinking only required if having the keyhole procedure?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It differs from surgeon to surgeon. Some require you to do the milk and yoghurt diet, some put you on a really low calorie diet. I presume that you need to do the liver shrinking on both the open and key hole surgery as I had key hole and did the milk diet (had bypass)
They want your liver nice and floppy to move out of the way. Only did my diet for a week as I took someones cancelled appointment. And reading up about some surgeons in the states they dont require some patients to do preop diet, but I think majority of surgeons over here do!

I only had three days notice and was advised to have a last meal of what I wanted on the thursday and to stick to lean chicken and fish, cutting out carbs and anything sweet....this was because my BMI was only 36.6 so quite low.....xx

Dr Le Roux was the surgeon who first did the gastric bypass the Y comes in as the way the small intestine is re attached from your bottom stomach forms a y joint hence the name roux en y.
Its what we have had done.
ony know cause Dr New went through it all with me.lol
HC

Didnt realise you had had open surgery wobbles. Do you mind me asking why. was it down to medical reasons or the surgeons preffered choice?
HC

Sorry HC, missed your question till now.

I had open surgery as that is what Mr Pollard prefers. I would have prefered keyhole myself, think i would've been in a lot less pain. And the massive scar is rather impressive now, but i'm sure it won't be when i can and want to wear a bikini!!
41 staples from breast bone to belly button.

Wow thats a big scar, I have to say I am so glad I had keyhole only 5 little cuts and some are so small at that. I dont really know what else to say....xx

I read with great interest all your posts. I was worried that I might have had an enlarged liver before my band was fitted, so had a liver scan, which showed it was ok.

What exactly is the liver shrinking diet, I gather its lots of yogurt and milk, am I wrong?

Liver shrinking can be accomplished by doing the milk/yogurt diet but it also can be done with a low-cal/low-fat diet. That is what I did, no sugar, little fat and small portions. I lost 20lbs in 13 days and my liver was fine for surgery.;)

Last edited:
Nic 20lbs on the pre op diet is really good, I did not have to do it so my weight loss only started from the op but not complaining as I only had three days notice..xx

Into day three of my pre-op diet, was told i could hold off until today (new years day) but then i thought about it and realised i would not be drinking anyway, plus i am working so i might as well do this right and have a better edge shrinking my kidneys

Good for you, that is some good thinking. You won't be sorry because you drop weight in the liver shrinking diets!

Best of luck.

Back