• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lunch ideas?

kelly1

Hi everyone!

I'm after some lunch ideas I can take to work? I currently usually havin a slice of ham and a babybel! Sometimes a little salad with egg n ham! I'm getting quite sick of this tbh! I can't tolerate bread so that's ruled out and I would prefer to stay away from carbs anyway! Any advice mucho appreciated! Xx

Tinned tuna is nice. You can make a wrap with lettuce.

Greek salad with feta and olives

slices of pastrami spread with lf philadelphia and if you like something spicy some chopped jalepeno and rolled up (very 1970s lol)

crustless quiche baked in muffin cases then you can make a variety up

home made lamb koftas with yoghurt, mint and cucumber dip

I never have trouble imagining what I will take for lunch, breakfast, dinner, snack etc etc etc rofl Sx

I have 2 Ryveta with Primular cheese or pate or 4 Carrs cheese melts with the same and grapes and baby bell for snack.

A small handful of nuts and fruits is good too.

Small cubes of corned beef or chicken ( I can't eat ham)

One of the best is cubed chicken, chopped up celery, sultanas, apple and nuts with a bit of extra low fat mayo mixed together.

About 1/2 a cup tight packed or 1 cup lose packed is right for me at 13 weeks post op it keeps the carbs down.

Rice or pasta is a bit heavy for me in the day but I can eat it in the evening for some reason.

Hope this helps.

Xx

I have 2 Ryveta with Primular cheese or pate or 4 Carrs cheese melts with the same and grapes and baby bell for snack.

A small handful of nuts and fruits is good too.

Small cubes of corned beef or chicken ( I can't eat ham)

One of the best is cubed chicken, chopped up celery, sultanas, apple and nuts with a bit of extra low fat mayo mixed together.

About 1/2 a cup tight packed or 1 cup lose packed is right for me at 13 weeks post op it keeps the carbs down.

Rice or pasta is a bit heavy for me in the day but I can eat it in the evening for some reason.

Hope this helps.

Xx

Hi
We are about the same out an I just wondered when you say cup is that a measuring tool?
Thanks

Yes half a cup for lunch and a lose cup full for dinner approx.
Some days I can manage more some less..
I have some pots that hold about a cup of food and I take them to work half or 3/4 full, don't often finish it all though.
I have on average :-

7 am breakfast either a Weetabix with ssm or seeded toast with butter and marmite or hard boiled egg.
10.30ish 2 Carrs Cheese Melts or Mini Baby Bell for mid morning snack if peckish.
1pm lunch whatever's in the pot or 2 Ryveta and cheese spread.
4.30pm nuts or skips/quavers if I fancy them (not often) don't get time at work.
7pm protein 1/2 chicken breast or pork scallop or small fish portion or 4 breaded scampi or salmon steak or slice of beef etc and veg for dinner no potatoes they fill me to fast. The only time I have potatoes is if we go to the chip shop and then i have a chicken portion and about 5 of my husbands chips.
10pm Freddie frog or lolly if I feel like one.

It sounds a lot and as if I'm eating all the time but some days I eat 3 time some 4 or 5 or 6 times. Even on the 6 times aday the calories barely go over 1000 calories and the average is about 850 to 900.
I don't like sandwiches because they fill me too much and I feel sluggish. Toast is ok if I'm at home I'll have it for lunch if I had protein for breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Yes that's great thank you. I eat similar amounts to you with similar calorie intake.
I have seen some Blogs from America an they always refer to cups so I thought i would ask with you mentioning them.

Yeah American sites always use cups as a measuring tool but you can get them in the UK and I've found them very handy post bypass. Based on some American research and how my pouched coped I found half a cup as a portion size worked well for the first six months. Then I could manage three quarters of a cup for the next 6 months. After a year out I can manage up to a cup of some things, it depends on what it is. A tea plate is an easier guide but everyone is different and some people can manage certain foods and portions more than others. No wrong or right unless you are stuffing take away every day. You can get cup measuring guides in most homeware places, I got mine on amazon. But if you don't want to use them the tea plate is really handy. You have to check with your own dietician but most recommend half a plate protein, one quarter veg and one quarter carbs. Nice and balanced. Always eat the protein first :) x

Oh and for lunches I often have salads. You can have protein, veg and a small amount of carbs in them and you can make them different every time. Fish, chicken, ham, different types of olives, pickles, soy sauce or bean sprouts. Even cous cous or a small amount of potato salad made with low fat ingredients. It is easy to keep carbs low and still have enough to have energy if you just add a little. Home made soups are also great for lunch especially if you add lumps of chicken and veg to the soup.

Thanks everyone!! Some great ideas there!! All sounds yummy!! Need to get my butt in gear and get more organised for lunch! I find tho that I'm never really bothered about food or wht I eat! I'm just not interested! Lol who ever thought ey!? Xx

Yeah American sites always use cups as a measuring tool but you can get them in the UK and I've found them very handy post bypass. Based on some American research and how my pouched coped I found half a cup as a portion size worked well for the first six months. Then I could manage three quarters of a cup for the next 6 months. After a year out I can manage up to a cup of some things, it depends on what it is. A tea plate is an easier guide but everyone is different and some people can manage certain foods and portions more than others. No wrong or right unless you are stuffing take away every day. You can get cup measuring guides in most homeware places, I got mine on amazon. But if you don't want to use them the tea plate is really handy. You have to check with your own dietician but most recommend half a plate protein, one quarter veg and one quarter carbs. Nice and balanced. Always eat the protein first :) x

Thank you. I have read many of your comments/posts you have done amazing well done. I currently use a tea plate with the divides as you said. I actually got bought a plate as gift before the op which is marked out as this. Sometimes I think I could eat more than what I have, I don't as I know that the amount I have is enough but sometimes I do still feel hungry. I do also get a hungry rumble if when it's coming up to meal time which scares me as most people so they just don't feel hungry anymore. I know my pouch works cos I can feel a restriction an I'm sick still when eating too fast or not chewed enough, I just think maybe my pouch is larger than I thought it would be maybe?

Thank you. I have read many of your comments/posts you have done amazing well done. I currently use a tea plate with the divides as you said. I actually got bought a plate as gift before the op which is marked out as this. Sometimes I think I could eat more than what I have, I don't as I know that the amount I have is enough but sometimes I do still feel hungry. I do also get a hungry rumble if when it's coming up to meal time which scares me as most people so they just don't feel hungry anymore. I know my pouch works cos I can feel a restriction an I'm sick still when eating too fast or not chewed enough, I just think maybe my pouch is larger than I thought it would be maybe?

Thank you. It's been hard work but worth it. Don't worry too much about pouch sizes and how much you can eat. I think you just have to think about how much you could eat before and what you can eat now? probably a lot less. I use my fitness pal to keep an eye on calories but you need to do what is right for you. For me I had up to 800 calories in the first 6 months, 1000 for the next 6 months and now up to 12000. This is what I plan to stick at but I know others that are at smaller or larger amount and both lose weight. You have to find what is comfortable for you. If you ever find your self hungry you should consider drinking more water in between your meals and eating very solid protein based meals. You won't feel hungry for long. Wait at very least 30 mins before and after eating before drinking too. I still sometimes get peckish but if you think back to the past, you probably don't feel hunger in the same way you did. If you do, talk to your dietician, also look at daily bypass menu thread, lots of us have ideas trying to stay on a good eating plan. All the best :) x

Thank you. It's been hard work but worth it. Don't worry too much about pouch sizes and how much you can eat. I think you just have to think about how much you could eat before and what you can eat now? probably a lot less. I use my fitness pal to keep an eye on calories but you need to do what is right for you. For me I had up to 800 calories in the first 6 months, 1000 for the next 6 months and now up to 12000. This is what I plan to stick at but I know others that are at smaller or larger amount and both lose weight. You have to find what is comfortable for you. If you ever find your self hungry you should consider drinking more water in between your meals and eating very solid protein based meals. You won't feel hungry for long. Wait at very least 30 mins before and after eating before drinking too. I still sometimes get peckish but if you think back to the past, you probably don't feel hunger in the same way you did. If you do, talk to your dietician, also look at daily bypass menu thread, lots of us have ideas trying to stay on a good eating plan. All the best :) x

Thanks Shelly. Great advice there. I do use my fitness pal and currently have around 800 calories, my dietician told me to up them by 100 so I have been having a yogurt extra a day. Since this I seem to be losing about 3lb a week I was losing around 1-2lb an having several stalls lasting upto a few weeks. She thought I wasn't eating enough. I back to see her the 27th of this month so we'll see what she says then. I think I might try more solid protein as you say an see if that helps. The hunger isn't anything like before an I can go without it just scared me to feel that when I'd read so many places that people didn't feel hunger anymore. I'm only 33 an already I can feel a massive difference since having the op, not just in weight loss, size etc but in just the way I feel, outlook on life, hopes & dreams for the future. Thanks again an all the best to you to xx

I tend to have leftovers for lunch, ie a portion of whatever I had for dinner the night before. So today it was poached fish and broccoli (about a cup full, now I think of it).

Back