• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet... God help me!!

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Bless you but it does get easier @Deedee302, I promise and usually day three is the day that happens.

Try and keep yourself busy between glasses of milk and focus on getting through it. Keep posting on here and we can support you through this, most of us have been in your situation so we know how hard it is xx

OkieGirl

I am on day 2 of my milk diet (only 26 to go!!) I’m really struggling. Any tips anyone?? Xx

I'm guessing you're at L&D and this is your 4 week milk diet? As Mazza suggested, try and keep yourself busy to keep your mind off it. In the early days, you might have a slight headache from carb/sugar withdrawal, but that will eventually fade. Make sure you keep yourself well hydrated to help stave that off a bit. For me it took a bit longer than 3 days to get settled with the milk diet and my brain had a freak out because of not eating solid food. It feels wrong but given time, you will break through that and remember that it is very much a case of mind over matter. Remember that we all started off living on nothing but milk and it is still very doable!

Try having your milk in different ways. Very milky coffees are nice. You can also add a bit of chocolate Crusha to that and pour it over ice for an iced coffee. If you like blancmange, try making your jelly with milk. It kind of cuts the sweetness of the jelly. Another trick is for your salty drink, use a chicken OXO and make it using hot milk for a poor man's cream of chicken soup. These were just a few things I did, but by the time I finished the milk diet, I couldn't stand the thought of jelly and was just having the milk, water and a Bovril in the evenings. You will get there, just hang in and be patient and kind with yourself. You've got this!

Bling Babe

I am on day 2 of my milk diet (only 26 to go!!) I’m really struggling. Any tips anyone?? Xx
All of the above, keep occupied, when I done the initial 4 week one had had chicken oxo in hot milk everyday but this time post op I haven’t done that, lots of milky coffee, and chocolate nas crusha and focus on the reason your doing it and the end result xxx

Deedee302

Thank you for your replies.. thank god for chocolate crusha and Bovril! I’m still finding it hard but sticking with it.
I know I shouldn’t weigh ( but I have!!) and I haven’t lost any weight yet which I disappointing to say the least. I feel a bit gutted to be honest.
Yes I am on the 4 week L&D milk diet and I have tried to be positive about it (!) I just thought I would see a bit of a weight loss.
This is why I am never going to lose weight myself.... the obsession with numbers! Lol xx

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Thank you for your replies.. thank god for chocolate crusha and Bovril! I’m still finding it hard but sticking with it.
I know I shouldn’t weigh ( but I have!!) and I haven’t lost any weight yet which I disappointing to say the least. I feel a bit gutted to be honest.
Yes I am on the 4 week L&D milk diet and I have tried to be positive about it (!) I just thought I would see a bit of a weight loss.
This is why I am never going to lose weight myself.... the obsession with numbers! Lol xx

It's still early days. I fell in the trap of weighing myself daily during that first week. Nothing seemed to happen and then all the sudden it started coming off. Just be patient, keep on keeping on and you'll get there.

Deedee302

It seems incredible to have eaten nothing and only 1000 cals in liquid to have not lost anything at all! Anyway I shall stick with it and see what happens.
How much did you lose over the 4 weeks? Xx

OkieGirl

By the time I hit four weeks I'd lost 12lbs. I had foolishly started my milk diet before I got the date through for my follow up appointment. The date I was given meant that there would have been a four week gap between the end of the milk diet and going back. Because I was absolutely terrified of going back on solid foods and then backtracking, I just decided to stick with milk for 8 weeks. By the end of the 8 weeks I'd lost 20lbs, which was my goal.

Now that I'm on solids, I'm still losing, but I'm being incredibly careful most of the time (I've had a couple of moments where I've fallen off the wagon, but I got right back on board!) and I eat my meals on a tiny plate. The fact that I've now lost 29lbs in total must mean I'm doing something right! Honestly though? I still kind of miss the milk diet because of it's simplicity.

Bling Babe

It seems incredible to have eaten nothing and only 1000 cals in liquid to have not lost anything at all! Anyway I shall stick with it and see what happens.
How much did you lose over the 4 weeks? Xx
It will happen but you must remember it’s about shrinking the liver, in this case to prove you can tolerate the milk in prep for surgery, I only lost 8kg on my first milk diet I know other who have lost more and less, on the pre op milk diet I lost it 1 stone 4lb in 3 weeks but 13lb of that was the first week, please don’t stress over it and try to avoid jumping on the scales to often xx

Deedee302

Well I weighed myself at the end of week 1 and I’d lost 9lbs which I’m pleased with. The whole thing has gotten a little easier and I can actually see I might be able to do this for 4 weeks! I’ve taken the battery out of the scales and given it to my mum lol!!
Weighing once a week only!!
Who can tell me what’s the next stage at L&D?? Xxx

Maria61

Well I weighed myself at the end of week 1 and I’d lost 9lbs which I’m pleased with. The whole thing has gotten a little easier and I can actually see I might be able to do this for 4 weeks! I’ve taken the battery out of the scales and given it to my mum lol!!
Well done on weight loss. I think you have to see a medical doctor who will pass you fit for surgery. You have to complete tier 3 which is 6 months or 12 months depending on what your BMI was at the beginning. You will then have to wait for the MDT which is a group session, 3 hours long, where you meet dietician, nurse and psychologist. Finally you meet the surgeon and and anaesthesist who will put you on the waiting list. There is a wait between each appointment but it is so worth it in the end. Good luck to you xxx

Bling Babe

Really pleased for you and well done on removing the battery from the scales, you can definitely do this x
so the next steps of your journey depend on your BMI as to whether your assessed for 6 months or 1 year, i was seen every few months for my year assessment which simply involves seeing the dietician being weighed and talking about dietary changes. After a year on tier 3 I saw a general physician who assessed my fitness for surgery and also reminded me that I didn’t have to have surgery but it was nothing to heavy. My year assessment ended in September 17 (my journey at L and D started in June 2016) I had an MDT meeting which is a group one with other patients and it’s 3 hours long, 1 hour with nurse, 1 hour with psychologist and 1 hour with dietician, I found the MDT really helpful, then in November 2017 I saw anaesthetist and surgeon and at that point he gave me my date for March 27th 18 which was cancelled on the day and rescheduled for 5th April 2018, some surgeons put you on the list others give you a date then is was ECG, heart scan, pre-op, bloods and gastroscopy whilst waiting for surgery day, I know Mr Jain is taking a year out starting this month and he is one of the ones who gives you an actual date rather than just putting you on the list but either way is a huge step forward. My journey took 22 moths form start to finish which included a year assessment. Very good luck xx

OkieGirl

Well done on the loss! I think weighing once a week is the best way to go because it's so easy to get obsessed with that number on the scale.

I can't add a whole lot more to what @Maria61 and @Bling Babe said as they've both been through the system start to finish. I've currently got one last tier 3 appointment on the 24th April and then I get referred on to the tier 4 team. I'm really, really, reaaaaally hoping that I will have everything done and dusted by the end of the year, but the NHS moves to it's own calendar that doesn't follow a standard solar year. :rolleyes:

Deedee302

Thank you all so much. I’m hoping that I’ll be signed off from tier 3 when I go back in May. Because of my BMI I’m on the 6 month tier 3 but will still need to wait for the funding for tier 4 to be out in place before anything else happens. Okie girl I’m hoping by the end of the year too! Fingers crossed.
Blingbabe and Maria61 how are you finding life since having the surgery? Xxx

Maria61

Thank you all so much. I’m hoping that I’ll be signed off from tier 3 when I go back in May. Because of my BMI I’m on the 6 month tier 3 but will still need to wait for the funding for tier 4 to be out in place before anything else happens. Okie girl I’m hoping by the end of the year too! Fingers crossed.
I am 7 months out and don’t feel the restriction as much as I had hoped but it is still the best thing I have ever done. I can tolerate most things but don’t seem to care for alcohol any more but that is not a bad thing really. I have a lot of loose skin and when I get to where I am comfortable I will think about that xx

Last edited:

Bling Babe

I’m 10 days out and so far so good, the only thing I really miss at the moment is drinking my nice hot coffee really quickly. Well done on managing the milk diet so well xx

Elias

Nice one on doing so well with the milk diet. I like the Nas crusha idea, I'm pinching that!

Deedee302

Back to L&D today. I lost 8.2kg in a month which I was really pleased with. Achieved the 5% of my body weight loss and have to maintain for 4 weeks and go back. At that point I’ll be ready for tier 4 so will go on to meet the MDT etc over the next few months. I’m hoping against hope that I will be done by the end of the year.
It’s all starting to feel quite “real” now and I’m having a few worries about the actual surgery but hoping the doctors will put my mind at rest when I see them. X

OkieGirl

Congrats! I have to see the physician next, but the nurse said that she might try to get me two appointments on the same day, but I can't remember what the other one was, lol. I'm hoping to get the next date through soon, but if I've not had anything by next week, I'm calling them. I haven't come this far to end up falling through the bloody cracks in the system.

The last time I was there, the nurse told me that at the moment they're still trying to clear the backlog of cancelled surgeries from January, February and March, but here's hoping that things will improve over the next few weeks and that things will be sorted by the end of the year.