• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Minnie's journey

los in it

I look forward to your next update

discojen

I went to seminar in August and had my first appt in November (but that was 2012).

(Just had bypass 3/3/15)

Toddshar35

Can anyone give me an idea how long it will be before I receive a letter for my appointments for dietician and nurse I had my seminar at sunderland a week ago and just wondering how long they take to come through thanks xx

I went to my seminar 9th March they rang yesterday to book an appointment with the surgeon I'm going 30th March for that. I'm in Birmingham.

Debs!

Hello I live in Birmingham - op will be in Walsall though. I was referred to hospital in September 2014 (having been 2 years in tier 3 at the Swan, Yardley). First hospital appointment was 23/1/15. I am now approved for a sleeve, I am on the list and have a single pre op appointment remaining on 24th March. I am simply now waiting to get to the top of the list and get the date. Have been told April/May is likely. I did manage to get a cancellation at one stage which knocked 6 weeks off what it might have been. It does widely differ though - this is elective surgery - so will always get bumped if the theatres have other crisis's.

Good luck xx

Toddshar35

Hello I live in Birmingham - op will be in Walsall though. I was referred to hospital in September 2014 (having been 2 years in tier 3 at the Swan, Yardley). First hospital appointment was 23/1/15. I am now approved for a sleeve, I am on the list and have a pre op appointment remaining on 24th March. I am simply now waiting to get to the top of the list and get the date. Have been told April/May is likely. I did manage to get a cancellation at one stage which knocked 6 weeks off what it might have been. It does widely differ though - this is elective surgery - so will always get bumped if the theatres have other crisis's. Good luck xx

Hi Debs I'm having mine done at heartlands hospital I did 6 months tier 3 and 6 months tier 2 at hurst lane clinic. I'm having a band we were told at the seminar that we'd been excepted for surgery.

Debs!

Good luck with your band Todd - any idea when you reach the top of the list?

I started the process intent on a band but diverted to the sleeve in the time I've been plodding along. One good thing about starting in 2012 is you have plenty of time to think!!! Lol.

Whatever we all have is such a personal journey and as long as we get the outcomes - I think it makes no odds. All work if you work with them as they always say. And all will fail if you ignore them!

Good luck :)

Toddshar35

Good luck with your band Todd - any idea when you reach the top of the list? I started the process intent on a band but diverted to the sleeve in the time I've been plodding along. One good thing about starting in 2012 is you have plenty of time to think!!! Lol. Whatever we all have is such a personal journey and as long as we get the outcomes - I think it makes no odds. All work if you work with them as they always say. And all will fail if you ignore them! Good luck :)

Thank you debs and good luck to you. I've got no idea how long it will take.

Jacwat

Well had my appointment with nurse and dietician on Wednesday and feeling very happy and excited. Before going to apointment I was feeling low about wether I was getting this op but after seeing nurse I'm feeling like it's going to happen. My weight loss goal isn't to bad nurse and dietician were lovely and give me positive answers to my questions now it's time to work hard and meet my weight loss target ready for next apointment the excitement is getting too much lol.

That's brilliant Sj, you are well on your way now. Good luck with your weight loss target xx

grannyvicky123

hi i waited 3 months after seminar at sunderland but did loose more weight
in that time. look on it as loosing weight time.
i had bypass in jan. 2015 now 6stones 7lbs lighter, just go with flow good luck.

Su2ie

Hi sj

Every time I had an appointment I convinced myself they were going to tell me I couldn't have the surgery!! It was a long time to be on the rollercoaster but I got there, had my surgery last Nov and am almost at my first target so it does and will happen for you :)

Lollyowen

I'm also at Sunderland I'm in tier 3 sessions at the min my last one is 13th October unfortunately I had put weight on since I saw dietician ?ive managed to get back to original weight but now only have a few weeks to get to the weight loss target I was set (don't think I will do it in time) will have to see how it goes x

Loving the Loop

I'm also at Sunderland I'm in tier 3 sessions at the min my last one is 13th October unfortunately I had put weight on since I saw dietician ?ive managed to get back to original weight but now only have a few weeks to get to the weight loss target I was set (don't think I will do it in time) will have to see how it goes x

Firstly Congratulations SJS you must be chuffed.
Even if you don't reach the target Lilly, try and lose as much as you can, It's all about showing the team that you are trying. Good luck over the next few weeks.

Loving the Loop

SJS, I was just sorting out all my hospital letters and appointment notifications and here was my timescale from being referred to MDT approval to operation.
18/03/15 - Meeting with Dr Ullal, told my case was being discussed at MDT within the next fortnight.
11/05/15 - Meeting with ???? (can't remember), told I was approved for surgery.
16/06/15 - Appointment with the Endoscopy Department for the Gastroscosy. (not fun, but over quickly)
08/07/15 - Meeting with Dr Shroeder, He didn't know why I was there as I should have been put straight onto the waiting list by Endoscopy as there were no issues, he did a check and put me onto waiting list himself.
11/07/15 - Phone call from Sunderland to book date for the operation.
29/07/15 - Pre-op appointment, you talk to a pharmacist about medications and vitamins post op she'll talk to you about any current meds as well, you have your bloods taken and I can't even remember what else there was definitely a third thing, Jeez I'm getting old. Oh yeah you talk to a nurse about the pre op diet, still think there was another thing though!!!!
10/08/15 - Admitted to hospital
11/08/15 - Best day ever, OPERATION DAY !!!!

Last edited:

Loving the Loop

Loving the Loop

I had mine with just the spray, terrible experience but over in 10mins, still better than being knocked out though in my book.

minnieme62

I had mine with just the spray, terrible experience but over in 10mins, still better than being knocked out though in my book.

Could you give me an idea what to expect apart from it been terrible lol I'm preparing myself thinking ok it's going to be bad but it's not for long they said I will be there two hours xx

Loving the Loop

Well, I chose the spray basically so I could drive myself home . You get taken in they sit you down and they spray the back of your throat with a really nasty tasting anaesthetic you lay on your side and they'll hold you in position and start to feed in the scope, its about the thickness of a pen.
Firstly I must stress it is not painful at all, you will not feel any pain ! but its a very unpleasant feeling as it goes down and they are pumping air in all the time to get clear pictures so you will start burping and retching (a lot) as they do the examine, they have you held securely and the nurse is keeping you as calm as possible talking into your ear and they will just push on so it is over in 5/10 mins tops as the spray only lasts that a short time. They then keep an eye on you in recovery for 30-40mins then you can go. You'll be told there and then if its ok and they will put you straight onto the waiting list if no issues.
Don't let me scare you to much, if I had to do it again I'd do the spray again.

minnieme62

Well, I chose the spray basically so I could drive myself home . You get taken in they sit you down and they spray the back of your throat with a really nasty tasting anaesthetic you lay on your side and they'll hold you in position and start to feed in the scope, its about the thickness of a pen. Firstly I must stress it is not painful at all, you will not feel any pain ! but its a very unpleasant feeling as it goes down and they are pumping air in all the time to get clear pictures so you will start burping and retching (a lot) as they do the examine, they have you held securely and the nurse is keeping you as calm as possible talking into your ear and they will just push on so it is over in 5/10 mins tops as the spray only lasts that a short time. They then keep an eye on you in recovery for 30-40mins then you can go. You'll be told there and then if its ok and they will put you straight onto the waiting list if no issues. Don't let me scare you to much, if I had to do it again I'd do the spray again.

Thank you that's made me less stressed about having it done now I know what to expect what is it they are looking for I really hope mine doesn't show anything xx