• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wow what a journey....

Angeline

I started the WLS journey over a year and half ago now. I went to a group each week to work along side people like me that struggled with their weight and wanted to do something about it. It was such a good group with lots of lovely people who were all so unique and supportive.

A couple of us were humming and haring over different types of surgery would be better for us (individually) and I was blessed to have been apart of that initial journey for those 6 other people. We worked with the professionals as they taught us about food, eating, changing and being more confident on this journey. we all seemed to just get on great and that made the group so enjoyable to attend (even though it was over 50 mile round trip for me lol).

We all had staggered tier appointments and some of us got their appointment for review with the consultant quite quickly and it was hard to watch as soon everyone had their appointments to progress before me ..but I understood that their needs and health was more needy than mine (more complex needs).

Soon I got my appointment this September just gone to see the Consultant again to see if I had managed to keep the 10% weight off they asked us all to try and do and I had...to my amazement and joy as I don't own scales I had.... lol xx i was so relieved but on paper I had such a long way to go...and still do...that's why it's a journey without a end !!!

Out of the blue I got a letter on the last weekend of November to ask me to attend a Pre Op appointment.....OMG!!!!!! Just before Christmas and it was for the following week.....totally caught off guard!!!! I knew that I had been out on staff parties, meal and a break away so i knew the scales were not gonna be kind and I felt downhearted and nervous for the Pre Op. Luckily they had to reschedule and I went two weeks ago and the scales weren't that bad and I had only put on a couple of Lbs in the whole scheme of things. What it did do is give me a kick up the butt to say get back on that journey as I had lost direction without my group.

I came out of the hospital appointment after spending a long afternoon there getting answers, having talks and having ECG's done, bloods and everything about me measured, weighed and accounted for lol!! they gave me a date of the 19th January 2017 for the Gastric Bypass operation. I had spoken about all the other types of surgery but for my PCOS and my own weight issues this was the best route for me to take.

As I got to the car I suddenly realised is was all gonna happen and my journey had just got alot quicker then the previous year and half.....eeeeeek!!!

Now I've found this site luckily so I can help others and get support from others on the same journey...Still I have lost of questions like bag packing, whats milk diet?, took me ages to even work out WLS was as they don't abbreviate it with me at Bristol Hospital....lol

I'm unsure of the future leading up and beyond the operation but I know its gonna be good :) xxxx

Any experiences or advice will be amazing xxx

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story @Angeline !

I'm confused though, are you having the band or the bypass? whichever it is, its not much longer to wait xx

Hi Angeline,

Once you get through tier 3 things seem to move quite quickly. I'm glad I found this site as I search for lots of things when I'm unsure and don't want to ask anyone!

I'm confused though, are you having the band or the bypass? whichever it is, its not much longer to wait xx

Bypass sorry lol xxx Oh my goodness I'm not with it tonight....having all the family round for the whole of christmas has sent my head into a spin ...need more sleep !!!!

Ive just edited it so it reads soooooooo much better and doesnt confuse anyone ...including me !!!! lol

Oh dear, bless you. Yes, catch up on that sleep - sounds like you need it xx

Hi Angeline, found your diary - look forward to following your journey!

Bag packing - you won't need much - music and headphones of some description, I took iPad with films on but didn't watch anything or read my kindle as I was pretty out of it on painkillers but I did listen to music.

Lip balm, baby wipes for a "wash" before you are allowed to shower. Tooth brush/paste. Slippers, dressing gown, clothes to go home that are loose around your middle. Pillow for the car ride home (you don't need that in hospital!). Some people write a letter to themselves before the op either to look at when nervous before going to surgery to remind you why you have made the decision, or to read after when you have "buyers regret" and wonder what you have done! I wore PJs in hospital but make sure they are loose at the waist.

Milk diet is a form of the liver reducing diet or LRD done usually 2 weeks before the op but can be longer - removes glycogen from liver to shrink it but also changes the texture of it and makes it easier and safer to move it out of the way for surgery - you prob already have worked that out! Some people have to do the milk diet before surgery to loose weight and to show commitment- I was very glad I didn't have to do that!

Any other questions just ask and people will try and answer you.

H2x

Right today is my LSD diet start date .....just what you need on a cold day lol!!! I've enjoyed it today as it has saved me having to think about what I was gonna eat this morning and for dinner at work. Ive decided to do the shake approach so i cant get it all wrong at this crucial part of the run up to my operation.....wonder if thats normal as Ive seen lots of people on a milk diet .....I have no idea what a milk diet is as I wasn't offered that alternative xx
Glad Im on this site so we can all support each other xx

Hi Angeline Welcome to the Forum.

You can be guaranteed lots of support on here from people who have been there, both recently and in the past.

A good place to look for info is in the September and November 2016 Surgeries threads as a lot of people had surgery in those months and have posted lots of useful info. There is also a January 2017 Surgeries thread where you can find others having surgery this month. There were two of them the other day and don't know if @Mazza has spotted that yet and merged them yet (?), so look out for both

I did the milk diet but rang the changes with Slimfast. Sugar free jelly is also good to add some interest and extra fluid. The milk diet varies slightly from provider to provider, but is basically 3 pints of semi-skimmed or skimmed milk a day, and if enough calories left of your 800 you can have some natural yoghurt. I found it the easiest to do as then I didn't have to think about food, and emptied the house of anything I might be tempted by! Some find it hard around day 3 but then adjust, and the motivation to not be opened up and then sewn up again without having the surgery done because your liver is too big keeps you going.

Make sure you drink plenty of water otherwise you will become constipated, which is something that may very well happen afterwards anyway.

I would second what Hannah has said about bag packing. However, I was only in for 48 hours and took too much in the way of nightwear as I was a long way from any visitors. Also useful is a mouth spray as your mouth will be very dry after the op, and you may be on a drip and not allowed to sip water for a few hours. I think I got mine in Boots.

Are you NHS or Private?

Hi Angeline Welcome to the Forum.

You can be guaranteed lots of support on here from people who have been there, both recently and in the past.

A good place to look for info is in the September and November 2016 Surgeries threads as a lot of people had surgery in those months and have posted lots of useful info. There is also a January 2017 Surgeries thread where you can find others having surgery this month. There were two of them the other day and don't know if @Mazza has spotted that yet and merged them yet (?), so look out for both

I did the milk diet but rang the changes with Slimfast. Sugar free jelly is also good to add some interest and extra fluid. The milk diet varies slightly from provider to provider, but is basically 3 pints of semi-skimmed or skimmed milk a day, and if enough calories left of your 800 you can have some natural yoghurt. I found it the easiest to do as then I didn't have to think about food, and emptied the house of anything I might be tempted by! Some find it hard around day 3 but then adjust, and the motivation to not be opened up and then sewn up again without having the surgery done because your liver is too big keeps you going.

Make sure you drink plenty of water otherwise you will become constipated, which is something that may very well happen afterwards anyway.

I would second what Hannah has said about bag packing. However, I was only in for 48 hours and took too much in the way of nightwear as I was a long way from any visitors. Also useful is a mouth spray as your mouth will be very dry after the op, and you may be on a drip and not allowed to sip water for a few hours. I think I got mine in Boots.

Are you NHS or Private?

Hiya Sam xxx Im NHS xx

Thanks for info about the milk diet...seems so much milk doesn't it but i'm sure if you pace yourself it will be ok. Bristol gives you two options: 1 being low cal diet (800 cals per day), option 2 Meal Replacement shakes/soups (800 cals per day) or option 3 a mixture of meal replacements and low cal food = 800 cals per day. Hence I had no idea really about the milk diet lol xx

I like sugar free jelly as we have it already with having type 1 diabetic step son :)...yum yum xx

I am worried about water intake as I don't want to be dehydrated or constipated ...least of worry's after a op so will make sure I drink the min amount per day. I will also get that spray as I remember when I came out of my sinus operation last year I was so dry...good thinking hunny !!!!

I've only been told Im in for 24hrs but I suppose you just dont know when it comes to it so i was gonna pack for two nights anyway ....do ya think that wise? xxx

Good luck with LRD! Remind yourself of why you are doing it - I had post it notes everywhere and also bad pictures of me I hated! On the fridge and food cupboards!

Be strong!

Hiya Sam xxx Im NHS xx

Thanks for info about the milk diet...seems so much milk doesn't it but i'm sure if you pace yourself it will be ok. Bristol gives you two options: 1 being low cal diet (800 cals per day), option 2 Meal Replacement shakes/soups (800 cals per day) or option 3 a mixture of meal replacements and low cal food = 800 cals per day. Hence I had no idea really about the milk diet lol xx

I like sugar free jelly as we have it already with having type 1 diabetic step son :)...yum yum xx

I am worried about water intake as I don't want to be dehydrated or constipated ...least of worry's after a op so will make sure I drink the min amount per day. I will also get that spray as I remember when I came out of my sinus operation last year I was so dry...good thinking hunny !!!!

I've only been told Im in for 24hrs but I suppose you just dont know when it comes to it so i was gonna pack for two nights anyway ....do ya think that wise? xxx
You will spend your first night probably in a hospital gown, but it pays to be prepared. I had been told I could be in for 3-4 days hence why I took so much. Good you have some diet choices.

You will spend your first night probably in a hospital gown, but it pays to be prepared. I had been told I could be in for 3-4 days hence why I took so much. Good you have some diet choices.

Fab I will take a extra night then just in case...you just dont know do you :) Not looking to forward to gown as its just not the best thing to wear is it.....i think its the not wearing any bra thing as with being big up top I dont like it lol xxx

Fab I will take a extra night then just in case...you just dont know do you :) Not looking to forward to gown as its just not the best thing to wear is it.....i think its the not wearing any bra thing as with being big up top I dont like it lol xxx
Believe me, you will be so out of it on anaesthetic and morphine you won't care! I was provided with disposable knickers so at least my bum was covered, but I see no reason once you are in a bed and compos mentis enough for it to bother you, and you still need a gown because of tubes and drip, you cannot ask a nurse to help you put a bra on if it is a soft supportive one, if your wound is not in the way? I am not sure where a bypass wound is as I had a sleeve, and couldn't manage a bra for a about a month.

Believe me, you will be so out of it on anaesthetic and morphine you won't care! I was provided with disposable knickers so at least my bum was covered, but I see no reason once you are in a bed and compos mentis enough for it to bother you, and you still need a gown because of tubes and drip, you cannot ask a nurse to help you put a bra on if it is a soft supportive one, if your wound is not in the way? I am not sure where a bypass wound is as I had a sleeve, and couldn't manage a bra for a about a month.

Hannah2 suggested soft bras and im glad you and her suggested it as I didnt even think about bra types !!!!! I worry about these things....I know its trivial but the idea came in my head and then i have to ask lol !!!! They havent said much about paper knickers but definitely gown and bring my gown...slippers if I want too for walking around and going home.
They havent mentioned anything about drains but did say about the drip and pain relief intravenously etc. I hope Im not sick like I was when i came out of surgery last time...that wouldnt be good !!!!!!

Sam can i ask why you choose the sleeve? Im just curious on others thoughts on each operation...my group finished about 8months ago now so havent really caught up with people who have had operations til I came on here xx

Hannah2 suggested soft bras and im glad you and her suggested it as I didnt even think about bra types !!!!! I worry about these things....I know its trivial but the idea came in my head and then i have to ask lol !!!! They havent said much about paper knickers but definitely gown and bring my gown...slippers if I want too for walking around and going home.
They havent mentioned anything about drains but did say about the drip and pain relief intravenously etc. I hope Im not sick like I was when i came out of surgery last time...that wouldnt be good !!!!!!

Sam can i ask why you choose the sleeve? Im just curious on others thoughts on each operation...my group finished about 8months ago now so havent really caught up with people who have had operations til I came on here xx

You should be given an anti-sickness drug, so suggest you mention to the anaethatist your previous experience as it may affect the dose you can be given. Fortunately it isn't something I have ever suffered with. Have you had your pre-op yet as it could go on your notes?

Some have drains and some don't. I think it depends on the surgeon and also what happens during the op. My knickers weren't paper, they were a stretchy material and big enough. I also never wore my slippers as everyone was issued with a pair of grey non slip slipper socks to keep your feet warm and safe when standing on the floor. Both were very comfortable really and I was hoping to take my socks home with me, but the nurse chucked them in the bin when I had my first shower before i could stop her! :( I have heard some hospitals don't provide knickers but let you wear a pair of your own providing you are happy for them to be cut off. I took an old pair just in case. Worrying about these things isn't trivial, especially if you are not used to having lots of surgery and are self-conscious. It is important that you feel comfortable.

As to why I chose the sleeve... I was asked if I wanted to part of the By-Band Study (wondered if you were too as you are Bristol which is where it originates from?) so was given lots of info and also did lots of my own research into the different procedures. I chose not to be part of the study because being a control freak i wanted to choose rather than be randomly allocated. In the end I couldn't have the bypass anyway, (which was the least one I fancied due to the malabsorption issues as I had other digestive problems anyway) once my surgeon found out I had an umbilical hernia. I had looked at the band and the sleeve, and decided I wanted the sleeve because it was permanent, it was harder to cheat, was just a small version of what I already had, and also it said the weight loss would be quicker than the band, which was important as I needed to shed 10 stone quickly as I need a full knee replacement which had been a problem for a long time and I was almost wheelchair bound. :( I have no regrets on my choice.

You should be given an anti-sickness drug, so suggest you mention to the anaethatist your previous experience as it may affect the dose you can be given. Fortunately it isn't something I have ever suffered with. Have you had your pre-op yet as it could go on your notes?

Some have drains and some don't. I think it depends on the surgeon and also what happens during the op. My knickers weren't paper, they were a stretchy material and big enough. I also never wore my slippers as everyone was issued with a pair of grey non slip slipper socks to keep your feet warm and safe when standing on the floor. Both were very comfortable really and I was hoping to take my socks home with me, but the nurse chucked them in the bin when I had my first shower before i could stop her! :( I have heard some hospitals don't provide knickers but let you wear a pair of your own providing you are happy for them to be cut off. I took an old pair just in case. Worrying about these things isn't trivial, especially if you are not used to having lots of surgery and are self-conscious. It is important that you feel comfortable.

As to why I chose the sleeve... I was asked if I wanted to part of the By-Band Study (wondered if you were too as you are Bristol which is where it originates from?) so was given lots of info and also did lots of my own research into the different procedures. I chose not to be part of the study because being a control freak i wanted to choose rather than be randomly allocated. In the end I couldn't have the bypass anyway, (which was the least one I fancied due to the malabsorption issues as I had other digestive problems anyway) once my surgeon found out I had an umbilical hernia. I had looked at the band and the sleeve, and decided I wanted the sleeve because it was permanent, it was harder to cheat, was just a small version of what I already had, and also it said the weight loss would be quicker than the band, which was important as I needed to shed 10 stone quickly as I need a full knee replacement which had been a problem for a long time and I was almost wheelchair bound. :( I have no regrets on my choice.

I will take old pair just in case !!! I wasnt offered the study as Bristol is moving away from bands as first option so to speak. They look at as a whole rather then categorize people which was nice and said because of me not eating larger portions of food and my relationship with food then the band wouldn't be effective as the other options. I really did hum and hared about this operation and I do worry about the malabsorption a tad but will keep up all the vitamins etc and listen to the doctors xxx I totally get your view about the sleeve as that was my thought and my husbands to be honest to start with. He is really worried about the bypass and wants me to reconsider and go for the sleeve....eeekkk!!!

Another lady who is just about to have her operation has changed her mind two weeks prior and gone for sleeve rather then bypass on that basis xx

Just noted your weight lost to date...you must be very proud of yourself and that knee op is coming closer ...then there will be no stopping you hey !!!

I will take old pair just in case !!! I wasnt offered the study as Bristol is moving away from bands as first option so to speak. They look at as a whole rather then categorize people which was nice and said because of me not eating larger portions of food and my relationship with food then the band wouldn't be effective as the other options. I really did hum and hared about this operation and I do worry about the malabsorption a tad but will keep up all the vitamins etc and listen to the doctors xxx I totally get your view about the sleeve as that was my thought and my husbands to be honest to start with. He is really worried about the bypass and wants me to reconsider and go for the sleeve....eeekkk!!!

Another lady who is just about to have her operation has changed her mind two weeks prior and gone for sleeve rather then bypass on that basis xx

Just noted your weight lost to date...you must be very proud of yourself and that knee op is coming closer ...then there will be no stopping you hey !!!
I have noticed less NHS bands since I have been on this site and they are doing more sleeves, and also the majority of revisions I have seen have been bands. It seems like they have got some useful info from the study, as I was told in the literature that often surgeon's recommendations of a particularly procedure were because it was their preferred way of doing it. What were your/the doctor's reasons for the bypass as opposed to the sleeve? Check out the consultant has all your medical history as mine only knew I had hernias when I told him at my first appointment, which was about three months after I had been invited to take part in the by-band study! As they don't bother me and they only showed up on a CT scan 3 years ago for something else, so I didn't know I had them until then (results of previous ops) and I had almost forgotten about them, and had I wanted the bypass I could have risked being opened up and then closed again without it. :eek: I learnt long ago not to totally trust doctors, and particularly now as they are so pushed for time and they don't read past notes!

@Hannah2 is a good person to keep communicating with as she has had a bypass in the past 12 months and is further on than I am as well.

Thanks for your lovely comments. I think I am starting to be proud of it, as so many people who haven't seen me for a while have really noticed the difference, as did my GP this evening. It makes a change for a GP to be complimentary about my weight!! ;)

Keep asking the questions...

I have noticed less NHS bands since I have been on this site and they are doing more sleeves, and also the majority of revisions I have seen have been bands. It seems like they have got some useful info from the study, as I was told in the literature that often surgeon's recommendations of a particularly procedure were because it was their preferred way of doing it. What were your/the doctor's reasons for the bypass as opposed to the sleeve? Check out the consultant has all your medical history as mine only knew I had hernias when I told him at my first appointment, which was about three months after I had been invited to take part in the by-band study! As they don't bother me and they only showed up on a CT scan 3 years ago for something else, so I didn't know I had them until then (results of previous ops) and I had almost forgotten about them, and had I wanted the bypass I could have risked being opened up and then closed again without it. :eek: I learnt long ago not to totally trust doctors, and particularly now as they are so pushed for time and they don't read past notes!

@Hannah2 is a good person to keep communicating with as she has had a bypass in the past 12 months and is further on than I am as well.

Thanks for your lovely comments. I think I am starting to be proud of it, as so many people who haven't seen me for a while have really noticed the difference, as did my GP this evening. It makes a change for a GP to be complimentary about my weight!! ;)

Keep asking the questions...

Ive been speaking to @Hannah2 about her experience and she is so lovely and been soooooo helpful just like you :)

Bristol said that because they have learnt so much about obesity and relationship between food and individuals they are offering the options rather then the trend...if that makes sense xx I noticed alot more people are having the sleeve now and revisions are predominantly (i could be wrong) band to sleeve rather then bypass.

I told him that I had PCOS and he asked me about what are my issues and he offered all three operations but explained that the band wont be the best for my eating habits and condition. He suggested both the sleeve and bypass but put me in for a bypass just in case to secure funding and if I want to change my mind then i can ....think that's why I struggled cause its too many options. one of two would have been better not three lol!!!!!

I still get a worry thought every now and again that I should change to sleeve cause he was so have all three approach lol xxx I am a worrier when it comes to me as I will do anything for others but so indecisive when it comes to me as im not used to it lol xxx

Ive been speaking to @Hannah2 about her experience and she is so lovely and been soooooo helpful just like you :)

Bristol said that because they have learnt so much about obesity and relationship between food and individuals they are offering the options rather then the trend...if that makes sense xx I noticed alot more people are having the sleeve now and revisions are predominantly (i could be wrong) band to sleeve rather then bypass.

I told him that I had PCOS and he asked me about what are my issues and he offered all three operations but explained that the band wont be the best for my eating habits and condition. He suggested both the sleeve and bypass but put me in for a bypass just in case to secure funding and if I want to change my mind then i can ....think that's why I struggled cause its too many options. one of two would have been better not three lol!!!!!

I still get a worry thought every now and again that I should change to sleeve cause he was so have all three approach lol xxx I am a worrier when it comes to me as I will do anything for others but so indecisive when it comes to me as im not used to it lol xxx
I think if you could have either bypass or sleeve then you should go with what your gut (no pun intended) is telling you to have. This surgery is for you, although no doubt your nearest and dearest will benefit in the long term, and as it is life changing, use it as a chance to change the way you react to yourself - you will be in charge of you now, particularly as it sounds like you were not put in for bypass rather than sleeve for specific medical reasons. Why not write a list of the pros and cons of both? That often helps me in decision making.

I think if you could have either bypass or sleeve then you should go with what your gut (no pun intended) is telling you to have. This surgery is for you, although no doubt your nearest and dearest will benefit in the long term, and as it is life changing, use it as a chance to change the way you react to yourself - you will be in charge of you now, particularly as it sounds like you were not put in for bypass rather than sleeve for specific medical reasons. Why not write a list of the pros and cons of both? That often helps me in decision making.
Im gonna do this tonight as I think it will help rest my mind...isnt it funny Ive been so decisive until now lol xxx

Back