• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey

Diane 53

Hi All
I am someway through my journey. I have been waging war on my weight all my life and I have lost all the way. From the time I was a child I was always over weight my mother always told me to finish what my brother had left. She always put me down so my self confidence was below zero, I went on to have several abusive controlling relationships but I finally came out the other side. then it was like I was a kid in a candy store so I just ate what I wanted when I wanted the I just ballooned up. Both my parents died the same year and my dads passing really hit me hard. Looking back I used this as an excuse to just eat what I wanted.

I remember doing to see a physic and I knew it was my dad speaking to me telling me if I did not do something I would end up in a wheelchair. well dad six and a half years later I am doing something after realising I could not walk far and needing to use a mobility scooter cos walking was getting really painful. So I went to my GP one day and she told me I could have WLS on the NHS and it was like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders I cam out of there floating on air.
I have been to the four weight management groups and have just had my 1st one to one with the weight loss dietician. She was encouraging and also I find keeping a food diary helps and also I note down all the nutritional information in another book. I find now I am making good and defiantly better choices I can walk down the sweetie aisle and just pick up sweets for my partner. I stood there the last shopping trip and thought no I don't want anything and it felt good to say that. My long term sugar level is coming down and I have been socially prescribed a weekly walking group at the Eden Project and it is fantastic, I also have joined a Zumba Gold with the fantastic Becky I hope to to get my feet to follow the steps soon. I have to have some more sessions with the dietician but she was encouraging telling all I would not need many sessions before I would be ready to be put over to the surgery team. However I have not had my Pysc evaluation and I have been waiting since the back end of last year. They sent a letter in January saying I would get an appointment as soon as they could but they were very busy.

I am also undecided which surgery to have my doctor said that the sleeve would be what she would recommend but I am also looking at the bypass. I want a permeant solution. I know having one of these options will change my mind set even more that just starting this journey has.

Maria61

Hi All
I am someway through my journey. I have been waging war on my weight all my life and I have lost all the way. From the time I was a child I was always over weight my mother always told me to finish what my brother had left. She always put me down so my self confidence was below zero, I went on to have several abusive controlling relationships but I finally came out the other side. then it was like I was a kid in a candy store so I just ate what I wanted when I wanted the I just ballooned up. Both my parents died the same year and my dads passing really hit me hard. Looking back I used this as an excuse to just eat what I wanted.

I remember doing to see a physic and I knew it was my dad speaking to me telling me if I did not do something I would end up in a wheelchair. well dad six and a half years later I am doing something after realising I could not walk far and needing to use a mobility scooter cos walking was getting really painful. So I went to my GP one day and she told me I could have WLS on the NHS and it was like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders I cam out of there floating on air.
I have been to the four weight management groups and have just had my 1st one to one with the weight loss dietician. She was encouraging and also I find keeping a food diary helps and also I note down all the nutritional information in another book. I find now I am making good and defiantly better choices I can walk down the sweetie aisle and just pick up sweets for my partner. I stood there the last shopping trip and thought no I don't want anything and it felt good to say that. My long term sugar level is coming down and I have been socially prescribed a weekly walking group at the Eden Project and it is fantastic, I also have joined a Zumba Gold with the fantastic Becky I hope to to get my feet to follow the steps soon. I have to have some more sessions with the dietician but she was encouraging telling all I would not need many sessions before I would be ready to be put over to the surgery team. However I have not had my Pysc evaluation and I have been waiting since the back end of last year. They sent a letter in January saying I would get an appointment as soon as they could but they were very busy.

I am also undecided which surgery to have my doctor said that the sleeve would be what she would recommend but I am also looking at the bypass. I want a permeant solution. I know having one of these options will change my mind set even more that just starting this journey has.
Good luck with your journey xx

Laaux

Hi All

Sounds like your in a really good mindset. Good luck with your journey & look forward to updates. Xx

Hannah2

Welcome! Hope you get your psych evaluation soon. Can you chase them up at all? Might be worth giving them a ring?

Diane 53

Here we are in 2018 and I have had my psych appointments behind me one in October and then again in December. Now hoping to be referred to the surgery team and get my date for surgery. Life in general is very positive so I hope I will end this year lighter than I started.

Diane 53

Well just had two letters one from the doctor at the hospital saying she is happy to put me forward for surgery but I need to get my Hba1 down. Could do that if my doctors bothered to contact me with this new treatment that she wants me to have. Got to have an overnight blood test but have to have a cortisol tablet prescribed by my doctor got to wait 5 days for a call then have got to try and get a 9am blood test the next day. (not likely). Feeling really let down by my surgery I am doing everything they ask and the doctors at the practice just seem to be ignoring me. Supposed to have had my diabetic review this month (not happened either). It's a good job I am determined to do this otherwise I would have given up. You have to do so many things and it is a very hard road to travel and you have to be determined and I am a friend keeps telling me I should be happy as I am but she does not have the health complications I have or my family history. Sure I want to be a smaller size but more than that I want to be healthier and fitter and see my grandkids grow up. I know I won't be a size ten but heck I don't want to be just not to have arthritis in my knee and to have less insulin and maybe ditch some of my tablets. Is that too much to ask seems like the doctors practice thinks it is. I understand that they are busy and one of the surgeries has closed down so more patients less surgeries but I have done what is asked Dr Dugal has contacted them on a couple of occasions and nothing. I am not going to stop now I have come too far

Emma1504

Keep going you can do this.
Sometimes surgery’s just forget we are people not just names on the computer!

Bling Babe

Good luck with your journey and glad things are moving forward for you, with regards to your GP surgery I think you should begin by asking them what the complaints procedure is and go down that route, I think your find they will soon accommodate your needs, point out to them that this journey is far from easy and you feel they are letting you down badly when they should be supporting you. Best of luck xx

vicky jenkins

Keep on fighting Diane, you are doing really well. I'm sure it'll hapoens but they sure don't like to make it easy for us x

Diane 53

Well I can't believe it been so long since I posted but finally I am here at the last two appointments got to see Jeremy the Bariatric nurse on the 15th of June. Then the round robin clinic on the 26th of June where I meet the surgeon Mr I.G Finlay and others. looking forward to it. Feels like I have been treading water since new year when the dietician and the doctor signed me off. Got through my psychiatric evaluations before Christmas. Dr Dugal suggested I have the sleeve but after talking to someone who has become a friend and someone I can turn to who has had the bypass I think that that is what I want but not sure if I can choose or if they decide for you. After all it's my life after surgery I have done everything they have asked of me I have lost 1st 3lbs over the last year have cut my portions down to a large side plate for my mail meal make it last me 20 mins. I hope you guys are all doing well on your journey and if you are at the start if I can do it so can you. This place is a great place for tips and encouragement I often pop in just to read some of the stories. This experience has changed me I am even taking my driving test on the 4th of July after many years of lessons (on and off)

Bling Babe

Well I can't believe it been so long since I posted but finally I am here at the last two appointments got to see Jeremy the Bariatric nurse on the 15th of June. Then the round robin clinic on the 26th of June where I meet the surgeon Mr I.G Finlay and others. looking forward to it. Feels like I have been treading water since new year when the dietician and the doctor signed me off. Got through my psychiatric evaluations before Christmas. Dr Dugal suggested I have the sleeve but after talking to someone who has become a friend and someone I can turn to who has had the bypass I think that that is what I want but not sure if I can choose or if they decide for you. After all it's my life after surgery I have done everything they have asked of me I have lost 1st 3lbs over the last year have cut my portions down to a large side plate for my mail meal make it last me 20 mins. I hope you guys are all doing well on your journey and if you are at the start if I can do it so can you. This place is a great place for tips and encouragement I often pop in just to read some of the stories. This experience has changed me I am even taking my driving test on the 4th of July after many years of lessons (on and off)
How lovely that your so near the 2nd part of your journey, good luck with your appointments and well done on the loss so far xxx

vicky jenkins

That's a great loss and you are sounding so very positive which I think always helps.
I found that my surgeon suggested the type of surgery for me. Yours might do the same.
Good luck with your driving test, fingers xx