• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Misinformation!

cah-ching

I couldn't believe what I was reading! I'm just sick of the misinformation and fat-bashing thats out there about bariatric surgery. Really makes me angry. Surely SOMEONE should have proof read it ... or even the chap in question (if he exists).

Pathetic.

disgraceful.

Newspapers very often report with little regard for proper facts. This article is obviously written by someone who has no knowledge of bariatric procedures and there are several anomalies.

1. 12 stone in 12 weeks?
2. Article headed 'Gastric Band' but obviously a bypass
'Gastric band surgery involves realigning the digestive tract and sectioning the stomach so its capacity is greatly reduced and the patient is unable to consume large amounts of food'
3. Patient says only go for this surgery if you are at risk of death . . . he had had several mini strokes and was diabetic! Perhaps someone needs to tell him he was at greater risk of death prior to his op!

How about getting a bariatric consultant to explain the other side of the story. How the other 95% are delighted with the opportunity to have this surgery, benefit immensley with improved health and vitality and probably live a heck of a lot longer after surgery.

Very annoying article but unfortunately newspaper journalists seem to be able to write a load of b*****s with little regard for factual information.

Perhaps I will send this posting to the newspaper editor!!

Newspapers very often report with little regard for proper facts. This article is obviously written by someone who has no knowledge of bariatric procedures and there are several anomalies.

1. 12 stone in 12 weeks?
2. Article headed 'Gastric Band' but obviously a bypass
'Gastric band surgery involves realigning the digestive tract and sectioning the stomach so its capacity is greatly reduced and the patient is unable to consume large amounts of food'
3. Patient says only go for this surgery if you are at risk of death . . . he had had several mini strokes and was diabetic! Perhaps someone needs to tell him he was at greater risk of death prior to his op!

How about getting a bariatric consultant to explain the other side of the story. How the other 95% are delighted with the opportunity to have this surgery, benefit immensley with improved health and vitality and probably live a heck of a lot longer after surgery.

Very annoying article but unfortunately newspaper journalists seem to be able to write a load of b*****s with little regard for factual information.

Perhaps I will send this posting to the newspaper editor!!

WHat an excellent response!

I completely agree with you. Please send it to the paper the more complaints the better. x

P.S - I think this in misinformation about BOTH the Bypass and the Band. Please don't think I'm vex because it's I'm a bander. I simoley think the whole article stinks and it does fail to recognise that people benefit from bypass .... just like the man mentioned in the article!

P.S - I think this in misinformation about BOTH the Bypass and the Band. Please don't think I'm vex because it's I'm a bander. I simoley think the whole article stinks and it does fail to recognise that people benefit from bypass .... just like the man mentioned in the article!

I think it's an affront to WLS in general. No WLS is an easy road to rake but it is an easy target for sensationalist journalism.

He also states that he may be having a reversal, i wondered if you can do a reversal if you have had a bypass? xx

It is possible but tricky.

I think it's an affront to WLS in general. No WLS is an easy road to rake but it is an easy target for sensationalist journalism.

It is possible but tricky.

ANother excellent post by you. I agree a total affront to WLS. Additionally a brazen lack of journalistic circumspection in order to feed Daily Mail-esque sensationalism! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes a reversal of sorts is possible - primarily if medically required e.g. certain types of disease which cause weight loss (cancer etc) they will consider a reversal.

Sounds like this bloke just had some sort of stricture or similar though as eating any food was difficult. Would have been nice to have had the full story and not just an inaccurate half . . .

ANother excellent post by you. I agree a total affront to WLS. Additionally a brazen lack of journalistic circumspection in order to feed Daily Mail-esque sensationalism! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's not known as the 'Daily Hate' for nowt! ;)

that bloke was in another report not so long ago, and i think they made the same mistake then as well. it was the mail or summat like that last time, im sure someone else will remember it, i think phatmomma, shelbell, and some others knew about it too.

OK I have done my bit!

'Dear Sir

Regarding your article in the paper on Friday 15th October I would like to point out several inaccuracies that are detrimental to both those considering surgery and others who read such things in print.

Newspapers very often report with little regard for proper facts and his article is obviously written by someone who has no knowledge of bariatric procedures. There are several anomalies.

1. 12 stone in 12 weeks? This is a definite exaggeration! This man had his op in October 2008. Yes he had problems eating when he went on to solid food but I am sure he had not lost a stone a week by this point. A good bypass result may result in a loss of a stone a week in the initial couple of weeks if a person is particularly overweight - but then this generally levels out to a maximum of a stone a month, with the majority of people losing 70% to 80% of their excess weight within the first eighteen months.

2. The article is headed 'Gastric Band Surgery' but what you are talking about is obviously a bypass:
'Gastric band surgery involves realigning the digestive tract and sectioning the stomach so its capacity is greatly reduced and the patient is unable to consume large amounts of food' - incorrect. Gastric band surgery involves no realigning of the digestive tract it does what it says . . puts a restrictive band around part of the stomach. There is no alteration of the digestive tract in a band operation.

3. Patient is quoted as saying 'only go for this surgery if you are at risk of death' . . . This man had had several mini strokes and was diabetic! Perhaps someone needs to tell him he was at risk of death prior to his op!

4. How about getting a bariatric consultant to explain the other side of the story? How the other 95% are delighted with the opportunity to have this surgery, benefit immensely with improved health and vitality and in all probability live a lot longer after surgery.

Bariatric surgery is a godsend for many who have struggled unsuccessfully for years with their weight. For many food is an addiction which only surgical intervention will cure. Unfortunately newspaper journalists seem to be able to write articles with little regard for factual information. Please get your facts right!'

Have told them they can print in 'letters to the editor' . . . but they probably wont!!

not sure if this is the actual editor but

Expose Email

not sure if you can read this as it seems to hide it . . but click on the newspaper and then 'contact us' if you cant see this email ink.

Back