• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Misinformation!

The Daily Hate article is here

hsmel - am luvvin' your work!

someone did put a little video of something like the 6o clock news on, and it showed him with this machine that he was hooked up to, it was only on for a couple of mins, it has to be here somewhere, how would we go about finding it, does anyone know

OK I have done my bit!

'Dear Sir

Regarding your article in the paper on Friday 15th October I would like to point out several inaccuracies that are detrimental to both those considering surgery and others who read such things in print.

Newspapers very often report with little regard for proper facts and his article is obviously written by someone who has no knowledge of bariatric procedures. There are several anomalies.

1. 12 stone in 12 weeks? This is a definite exaggeration! This man had his op in October 2008. Yes he had problems eating when he went on to solid food but I am sure he had not lost a stone a week by this point. A good bypass result may result in a loss of a stone a week in the initial couple of weeks if a person is particularly overweight - but then this generally levels out to a maximum of a stone a month, with the majority of people losing 70% to 80% of their excess weight within the first eighteen months.

2. The article is headed 'Gastric Band Surgery' but what you are talking about is obviously a bypass:
'Gastric band surgery involves realigning the digestive tract and sectioning the stomach so its capacity is greatly reduced and the patient is unable to consume large amounts of food' - incorrect. Gastric band surgery involves no realigning of the digestive tract it does what it says . . puts a restrictive band around part of the stomach. There is no alteration of the digestive tract in a band operation.

3. Patient is quoted as saying 'only go for this surgery if you are at risk of death' . . . This man had had several mini strokes and was diabetic! Perhaps someone needs to tell him he was at risk of death prior to his op!

4. How about getting a bariatric consultant to explain the other side of the story? How the other 95% are delighted with the opportunity to have this surgery, benefit immensely with improved health and vitality and in all probability live a lot longer after surgery.

Bariatric surgery is a godsend for many who have struggled unsuccessfully for years with their weight. For many food is an addiction which only surgical intervention will cure. Unfortunately newspaper journalists seem to be able to write articles with little regard for factual information. Please get your facts right!'

Have told them they can print in 'letters to the editor' . . . but they probably wont!!

Excellent!!!! I can't rep you again I would if I could!

Good for you Mel, I also seem to remember this story from before Dawn, cant remember what paper it was in but Im sure it was full of mistakes last time too.
The moral of this story (fairytale) seems to be...if you dont loose enough weight.....have a gastricbandpass :D Morons! XX

A link to this story was posted on here just a couple of weeks ago...and funnily enough the comments received were the same then! It's no wonder WLS receives such bad press....apparently the reason why he is sueing is because he claims he was never told at any point that he could suffer complications due to the surgery (which I don't believe, as any of us going through WLS know, it's not usually a quick affair and most need to attend dieticians, psychologists, weight management programmes & seminars before you get anywhere near the table)...imho sounds like he would have pegged it quite soon without the op anyway...

Well done mel very good response.

Good for you Mel, I also seem to remember this story from before Dawn, cant remember what paper it was in but Im sure it was full of mistakes last time too.
The moral of this story (fairytale) seems to be...if you dont loose enough weight.....have a gastricbandpass :D Morons! XX

I think I'm going to save up and have one of them there Gastricbandpass thingies :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i think i was told of the possible complications, risks, at least 4-5 times, and then again when i signed my consent form, so hes talking a load of twaddle.
dotty, can you remember the little video link that someone put up at the same time,

The mail article is a lot more accurate in content than the Littlehampton one - even gives diagrams of what he had done. However reading between the lines doesnt it sound like he is just p*****d off that he cant eat normally any more? That is what it sounds like to me. OK he obviously has a problem which causes pain but he clearly states :

‘I crave food every day. On a good day I can eat a biscuit washed down with plenty of morphine. Otherwise I don’t eat. I was always a very social person. Going out for meals was a huge part of my life. I can’t even pop out for a meal – it’s ruined my life.’
If I do eat a meal I’m having to down loads of morphine then my wife has to cart me off because I’ve passed out. Christmas dinner, Easter, family occasions – they are all ruined for me.'

Mel, I agree. He is regretting not being able to overeat as that is what he used to do (like many of us!) and he is looking to scapegoat the provider of his procedure to lessen his guilt.

The link I posted up illustrates this really well.

My GP warned me that I would never like food again. I think it's true to say my physical relationship with food will never be the same again, but my head is still madly in love with it!

Looking for a scapegoat and some money to boot. A disgusting 'advert' for bariatric surgery. Sticks in my craw that he got his on the NHS and then complains about not being able to eat lots of food. I wonder if he'd be so willing to sue if he'd have paid for it privately?? He obviously thinks the NHS is a soft touch.

I bet he'd be shouting loudest about NHS funding etc. if he needed life saving drugs etc. Ironic when twats and idiots like him want to sue the NHS (whether or not he sues successfully the defending of the case will still cost regardless).

Mel, I agree. He is regretting not being able to overeat as that is what he used to do (like many of us!) and he is looking to scapegoat the provider of his procedure to lessen his guilt.

I am sure that is what many wls clients NHS and Private go through as that is why most of us are at this point in the first place.

It makes me angry though when there are so many really deserving people who would like to be given the chance of surgery and when funding is so tight - that the man in question is probably going to make it more difficult for those yet to embark on their journey - especially if he sues and wins.

He will have been warned about the risks beforehand, we all are so Im suprised he has any case for suing the NHS. I feel sorry for the bloke if he is how he says he is, but using the NHS as a scapegoat when they paid for him a chance at a new life is disgusting! X

I remember reading this article end of last year in our local paper the MK Citizen.

As the guy lives in Newport Pagnall it comes under the MK area.

Don`t blame the Littlehampton Gazette looks like they got the story word for word from the MK Citizen.

I certainly agree about journalistic licence though; they obviously have not done their homework. Maybe we could sue the paper for misinformation.

But is sooooooooooooo bad yet again these bloody people having ago about something they know absolutely nothing about!

Fuming :mad:

Kat x

Well I am a little bemused. This was the reply I received so I have clicked on the link and sent the actual link to the gentleman at the paper!

'Dear Mel,

your message is a mystery to me, as I don't think this story was covered in the Littlehampton Gazette. In fact, it doesn't sound like a story at all, more an advert. If I'm wrong, please tell me which page of our paper this is on and I will look into it, but if it's not in the Littlehampton Gazette, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Regards,

Roger Green, Editor, Littlehampton Gazette'

If this is an advert god help weight loss patients!!!

Yes I did - have not had a reply yet. By the way you look FAB in your pics. You have already come such a long way in a short time!! YAY xxxx

Back