• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Missy’s Journey!

Missyme

I started the pre-op diet 3 days ago ready for my band to bypass revision on the 20th December. Starting weight 17 stone. 11lb gone already! The dietician said it wasn’t ok to use a mixture of diet products. I want to use CWP choc shakes x 2 and an Exante noodles. The pre-op book says 3 of these products can be consumed per day. The dietician said to use one or the other per day because of varying carbs etc. However, the carbs are lower in the noodles and both products have a third of daily nutrition requirements. My BMI is 35 and my patient coordinator was surprised I was advised to do 2 weeks of pre-op instead of 1. I didn’t see it as a bad thing as I was stuffing my face prior to this having the ‘last’ of everything as if I’m never going to eat food ever again. Received my pre-op assessment and was quite surprised to see all the tests that are required: ECG, chest x-ray, urine, breathing test and blood tests. Not had all of these with any of my previous ops! Hope I pass them all... I’ll be gutted if the op doesn’t go ahead! Feeling a mixture of emotions and nerves at the moment!

Last edited:
Good luck to you xxx

Thank you! :) X

I started the pre-op diet 3 days ago ready for my band to bypass revision on the 20th December. Starting weight 17 stone. 11lb gone already! The dietician said it wasn’t ok to use a mixture of diet products. I want to use CWP choc shakes x 2 and an Exante noodles. The pre-op book says 3 of these products can be consumed per day. The dietician said to use one or the other per day because of varying carbs etc. However, the carbs are lower in the noodles and both products have a third of daily nutrition requirements. My BMI is 35 and my patient coordinator was surprised I was advised to do 2 weeks of pre-op instead of 1. I didn’t see it as a bad thing as I was stuffing my face prior to this having the ‘last’ of everything as if I’m never going to eat food ever again. Received my pre-op assessment and was quite surprised to see all the tests that are required: ECG, chest x-ray, urine, breathing test and blood tests. Not had all of these with any of my previous ops! Hope I pass them all... I’ll be gutted if the op doesn’t go ahead! Feeling a mixture of emotions and nerves at the moment!
Good luck from me too xx

Suddenly realised last night that I haven’t had the fluid removed from my band! I’ve been so pre-occupied with getting a date for my pre-op assessment that it totally went out of my head. I haven’t told anyone about the op apart from my husband and daughter, so it’s difficult to get time off work. Hence, why I’m having this done over the Xmas break. I am also quite excited about the fact that I won’t (hopefully) be fatter post-Xmas. I always gain a lot of weight over Xmas and any holidays. This can be as much as 1.5 stone. I was 22st 8 several years ago. After the death of my mum and a divorce, I lost 3 stone at WW and then 8 stone in 5 months on Lipotrim (in 2006). I got to 11.5 but felt too thin (my only time ever) and was happy around 12-12.7. I did quite well kind of maintaining (with a fluctuation up to 13.7) and back down again. However, the last 5 years have seen me yo-yo up to 17.6. I had a gastric band fitted 4.5 years ago at 15.9 and never seemed to reach the elusive sweet spot. I went to 8.5ml in my band, but then could barely swallow and was choking on acid in my sleep. I know, if left untreated, how damaging this can be, so I had a ml removed. I can still eat large portions and the easiest of all foods and my main problem ‘sweet stuff’. I have despised the band. 1. Because it hasn’t helped at all. 2. Because it’s made me very nervous in eating in public - always needing to know where the nearest toilet is in case something gets stuck. I followed all the rules but it did not work effectively enough to assist me with smaller portions. My body is very sensitive to carbs or large volumes of food. I can gain/lose weight rapidly (within a few weeks) after the first few weeks of dieting, my weight often stalls. I become frustrated and then binge. I binge on junk... biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc. I don’t actually care for food as such- just junk! I am a sugar addict! The binges mean a rapid weight gain - I recently spent 6 weeks losing a stone and 3lb and then gained it back over 2 weeks. This is the cycle I hoped the band would break me free from. I’m fed up of taking numerous size clothes on holiday because I won’t fit in many of them by the 2nd week. I hope with the aid of the bypass that I will break this awful cycle and find it easier to maintain a healthy weight. I know I have to work at it too. My plan is to eliminate ‘sweet stuff’ altogether at least until I feel I’m in a place where I can introduce it again and that’s if I want to. I watch people eating at work and feel so envious of their normal relationships with food - eating healthy food, good-sized portions and having sweet stuff in moderation whenever they want. I’m usually doing an all/nothing diet. I am actually quite good at dieting and generally eat healthily. Not a fan of takeaways, chippy, pastries, rice, pasta, potatoes, fatty foods, sugary drinks etc. Love meats, fish, veg, salad and these are my preferred meals; it is the pesky sugar that’s the problem! I also think my body is used to a very restricted diet most of the time so when I go away or it’s Xmas etc and I eat different types of food, my body doesn’t cope well. I also see this as an opportunity to binge on sugar. Sorry for the waffle. I aim to use this thread as a therapy for myself, thoughts and hopefully my new me.

Suddenly realised last night that I haven’t had the fluid removed from my band! I’ve been so pre-occupied with getting a date for my pre-op assessment that it totally went out of my head. I haven’t told anyone about the op apart from my husband and daughter, so it’s difficult to get time off work. Hence, why I’m having this done over the Xmas break. I am also quite excited about the fact that I won’t (hopefully) be fatter post-Xmas. I always gain a lot of weight over Xmas and any holidays. This can be as much as 1.5 stone. I was 22st 8 several years ago. After the death of my mum and a divorce, I lost 3 stone at WW and then 8 stone in 5 months on Lipotrim (in 2006). I got to 11.5 but felt too thin (my only time ever) and was happy around 12-12.7. I did quite well kind of maintaining (with a fluctuation up to 13.7) and back down again. However, the last 5 years have seen me yo-yo up to 17.6. I had a gastric band fitted 4.5 years ago at 15.9 and never seemed to reach the elusive sweet spot. I went to 8.5ml in my band, but then could barely swallow and was choking on acid in my sleep. I know, if left untreated, how damaging this can be, so I had a ml removed. I can still eat large portions and the easiest of all foods and my main problem ‘sweet stuff’. I have despised the band. 1. Because it hasn’t helped at all. 2. Because it’s made me very nervous in eating in public - always needing to know where the nearest toilet is in case something gets stuck. I followed all the rules but it did not work effectively enough to assist me with smaller portions. My body is very sensitive to carbs or large volumes of food. I can gain/lose weight rapidly (within a few weeks) after the first few weeks of dieting, my weight often stalls. I become frustrated and then binge. I binge on junk... biscuits, cakes, chocolate etc. I don’t actually care for food as such- just junk! I am a sugar addict! The binges mean a rapid weight gain - I recently spent 6 weeks losing a stone and 3lb and then gained it back over 2 weeks. This is the cycle I hoped the band would break me free from. I’m fed up of taking numerous size clothes on holiday because I won’t fit in many of them by the 2nd week. I hope with the aid of the bypass that I will break this awful cycle and find it easier to maintain a healthy weight. I know I have to work at it too. My plan is to eliminate ‘sweet stuff’ altogether at least until I feel I’m in a place where I can introduce it again and that’s if I want to. I watch people eating at work and feel so envious of their normal relationships with food - eating healthy food, good-sized portions and having sweet stuff in moderation whenever they want. I’m usually doing an all/nothing diet. I am actually quite good at dieting and generally eat healthily. Not a fan of takeaways, chippy, pastries, rice, pasta, potatoes, fatty foods, sugary drinks etc. Love meats, fish, veg, salad and these are my preferred meals; it is the pesky sugar that’s the problem! I also think my body is used to a very restricted diet most of the time so when I go away or it’s Xmas etc and I eat different types of food, my body doesn’t cope well. I also see this as an opportunity to binge on sugar. Sorry for the waffle. I aim to use this thread as a therapy for myself, thoughts and hopefully my new me.
I too am a sweet fanatic and am 3 months post bypass. I still feel the urge to eat sweet stuff but the thought of dumping or being sick is stopping me. Good luck to you xx

I too am a sweet fanatic and am 3 months post bypass. I still feel the urge to eat sweet stuff but the thought of dumping or being sick is stopping me. Good luck to you xx
That is music to my ears, @Maria61! I have chosen the bypass for this reason. I am sure the thought of dumping will be a deterrent for me and will stop me from even trying the stuff. I have also heard that those who can tolerate it only need a small amount to satisfy them. Thank you for your reply and good luck wishes.

Last edited:
I’m also a sugar fiend! I had the gastric sleeve and we can still experience dumping but not as bad as the bypass. However post surgery my attitude to food is completely different, I find myself making healthy choices as I know that’s what my body NEEDS from the small amount I can eat. Good luck x

I’m also a sugar fiend! I had the gastric sleeve and we can still experience dumping but not as bad as the bypass. However post surgery my attitude to food is completely different, I find myself making healthy choices as I know that’s what my body NEEDS from the small amount I can eat. Good luck x
Thank you, Laaux. It’s reassuring to know that other sweet fiends have managed to tackle this demon. I hope I’m just as successful! ;)

Today is an Exante day. Had one product so far as I try to hold off until as late as possible as I prefer to eat in the evenings. I do find (when eating normally) that if I eat in the morning, I want to eat all day! If I don’t, then I’m fine and can go all day without food/bothering me. Something else that I can hopefully change with the bypass as I’m assuming I will have to eat small meals often because there can’t be an overload in the evenings. I’m also very conscious of my body getting all the required nutrients. When I originally lost a vast amount of weight in 2006, I lost a lot of my hair. I am prepared that this may happen again, but it doesn’t seem to have each time I have done a VLCD. I will be diligent with protein and vitamin requirements and do my best to get these in. I do have hair extensions... just better hope I still have hair to attach them to o_O My son (age 22) has announced he is coming for Christmas dinner with his girlfriend. I will have to pretend I have a tummy bug and will attempt some soup! I will be 5 days post-op! I haven’t told him and don’t intend to. He would worry far too much and at the moment I don’t feel ready to tell many people as lots of people still have archaic opinions on weight loss surgery - many of which haven’t struggled with these demons themselves. I told my two best friend’s about my gastric band. One friend was very disapproving and felt I was mad. I feel that the band being unsuccessful has kind of proved her right. I will at some point (when/if weight loss becomes noticeable) tell her I had it removed, but probably won’t mention the bypass. She knows the band has restricted me for quite a while from eating healthier foods and I will say this was my reason for removal alongside no point in it being there. I will also tell my other friend the same. If my bypass is successful, I am sure I will have many people asking how I’ve lost weight. My planned response at the moment is - I have cut out sugar and have smaller portions; none of which will be untrue! I am a private person, so writing on here is a revelation to me, but I have been inspired/helped by the many, many diaries/posts I’ve read on here. It is only right to give back to any future WLS patients and it will also help me too. Please feel free to share your experiences/leave a comment/ask questions or just have a general nosy at my ramblings! :D

I have a question I too can easily go all day without food, I honestly don’t give it a second thought, honestly don’t feel hunger and find it incredibly when I hear my work colleagues saying “it must be lunchtime I’m starving” bizarre to me , don’t get me wrong since starting this journey I do make myself have a teeny weeny bit of breakfast and a lunch but this is because I know I will need to eat these post surgery not because I’m hungry, however in the evening I can easily eat the same size meal as my OH, if not bigger, anyway my question was... do you feel hunger ?

I have a question I too can easily go all day without food, I honestly don’t give it a second thought, honestly don’t feel hunger and find it incredibly when I hear my work colleagues saying “it must be lunchtime I’m starving” bizarre to me , don’t get me wrong since starting this journey I do make myself have a teeny weeny bit of breakfast and a lunch but this is because I know I will need to eat these post surgery not because I’m hungry, however in the evening I can easily eat the same size meal as my OH, if not bigger, anyway my question was... do you feel hunger ?
Hi Bling Babe, I suppose I don’t feel hunger or fullness... or it’s very rare I do. I too find it odd that people are desperate for food come 12 o’clock. My OH thinks his throat has been slit if he’s late with his meals and he never misses meals. Saying that, he isn’t greedy and can limit his portions... unlike me. However, once I eat, it’s like a trigger. I don’t know if this is classed as hunger or if it’s greed or what it is. I can become full for a short while and after a very large portion (band related) but then am good to go 20 minutes later. I don’t seem to ever get full from junk stuff! Most people would be violently sick with what I can eat! So the answer is .... I don’t really know! I don’t eat because I’m hungry or stop because I’m full (rarely) or if I do it’s because I get discomfort from my band. I play mind games with food. If I’m being ‘good’ I usually don’t eat all day as this helps me maintain control and if I’m bingeing, I eat morning, noon and night! :eek: I so hope this improves post surgery. I know my brain has to work hard to combat the demons. I’m aware surgery isn’t the be all... just hope it’s the tool to help! :D

Thank you for your reply, we sound like two peas in a pop, ditto on everything, when I speak to people about it who are normal weight and eat normal size meals you can almost hear the cogs going with them wondering why I have a weight problem if I’m never hungry, but it is literally because I am a pig, no cut of whatsoever, I’m so glad I’ve spoken to you I was beginning to think I was abnormal, one thing I did wonder was whether I’d screwed up my metabolism by years of yo yo dieting..?? Thank you for making me feel normal and good luck xxxx

Thank you for your reply, we sound like two peas in a pop, ditto on everything, when I speak to people about it who are normal weight and eat normal size meals you can almost hear the cogs going with them wondering why I have a weight problem if I’m never hungry, but it is literally because I am a pig, no cut of whatsoever, I’m so glad I’ve spoken to you I was beginning to think I was abnormal, one thing I did wonder was whether I’d screwed up my metabolism by years of yo yo dieting..?? Thank you for making me feel normal and good luck xxxx
I’m not sure about us being normal! :D I do feel my metabolism is messed up. People can’t believe how quickly my weight can fluctuate... a weekend away eating what I want could result in a 10lb gain. 2 week holiday ... could be as much as 2 stone. My body will lose it quickly the first 2-3 weeks and then it doesn’t budge! So each time this happens some of the gained weight remains and then it’s added to each time. I end up doing CWP (meal replacement) and the cycle begins once again. There’s only so much my metabolism can take. :confused:

I managed to book my band defill for Wednesday. The receptionist from my GP surgery rang today to say a prescription was ready for me (post-op medication). They’d received a letter from the dietician and I’ve booked an appointment with my GP for next Tuesday to sort all this. I’ve also got to have a B12 injection prior to my op?? Not sure if this is correct or just happening because the letter states I need to have them regularly? That’s booked for a week today. I seem to have appointments coming out of my ears over the next week in preparation for the op. Another 2lb loss on the pre-op diet. That’s a stone in 6 days! I’m very restless at night at the moment and I feel this is due to my op and all the things I have to do before then. I feel I’ve barely slept. Last night I only got about 3-4 hours. It’s only 9 days away now and is playing on my mind.

I managed to book my band defill for Wednesday. The receptionist from my GP surgery rang today to say a prescription was ready for me (post-op medication). They’d received a letter from the dietician and I’ve booked an appointment with my GP for next Tuesday to sort all this. I’ve also got to have a B12 injection prior to my op?? Not sure if this is correct or just happening because the letter states I need to have them regularly? That’s booked for a week today. I seem to have appointments coming out of my ears over the next week in preparation for the op. Another 2lb loss on the pre-op diet. That’s a stone in 6 days! I’m very restless at night at the moment and I feel this is due to my op and all the things I have to do before then. I feel I’ve barely slept. Last night I only got about 3-4 hours. It’s only 9 days away now and is playing on my mind.
It is normal to be anxious. You are doing so well. Time will pass quickly xx

Day 8 of my pre-op diet... a week today until my op. I’ve just returned home after having the fluid removed from my band. It was touch and go as to whether the nurse could access my port! 5 attempts and a lot of poking and prodding, she finally managed to get the needle in. I’ve had quite a few fills/defills and never experienced anything as bad as this. It looks like my port has flipped as the access point was facing upwards towards my chin. She had to access it by coming downwards from my chin. I have quite a flat stomach due to an abdominoplasty some years ago and it was still a difficult job! It made me thankful that I’ve made the decision to have it removed. I also had a chat with the nurse, who I’ve seen quite a few times over the past 4 years, about why the band hasn’t worked for me. She asked had I ever had a barium meal, which I haven’t. She then said that this can show in some people that the oesophagas contracts slowly in some people and this can then mean that the band isn’t suitable. This can only be known after the band has been fitted... which is a bit late in the day really! I’m so pleased the wretched thing’s coming out! I feel it’s done nothing but make my life harder. However, I do know people who have had great results with it. I’m just one of the unlucky ones I suppose.
I’ve just purchased some CWP soups. I’ve been checking the protein content in them for post-op and they have between 16-20g of protein per soup. I think these may be a good shout and they’re quite palatable too. Got my pre-op tomorrow and praying all goes well. I’d be devastated if my op couldn’t go ahead!

Day 8 of my pre-op diet... a week today until my op. I’ve just returned home after having the fluid removed from my band. It was touch and go as to whether the nurse could access my port! 5 attempts and a lot of poking and prodding, she finally managed to get the needle in. I’ve had quite a few fills/defills and never experienced anything as bad as this. It looks like my port has flipped as the access point was facing upwards towards my chin. She had to access it by coming downwards from my chin. I have quite a flat stomach due to an abdominoplasty some years ago and it was still a difficult job! It made me thankful that I’ve made the decision to have it removed. I also had a chat with the nurse, who I’ve seen quite a few times over the past 4 years, about why the band hasn’t worked for me. She asked had I ever had a barium meal, which I haven’t. She then said that this can show in some people that the oesophagas contracts slowly in some people and this can then mean that the band isn’t suitable. This can only be known after the band has been fitted... which is a bit late in the day really! I’m so pleased the wretched thing’s coming out! I feel it’s done nothing but make my life harder. However, I do know people who have had great results with it. I’m just one of the unlucky ones I suppose.
I’ve just purchased some CWP soups. I’ve been checking the protein content in them for post-op and they have between 16-20g of protein per soup. I think these may be a good shout and they’re quite palatable too. Got my pre-op tomorrow and praying all goes well. I’d be devastated if my op couldn’t go ahead!
Good luck Missyme xx

Back