• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Missy’s Journey!

It isn’t easy, I really struggled for the first few weeks. The first week, all I did was cry and regretted the surgery but honestly, I’m almost 6 months out and it is the best thing I’ve ever done in my life. Xx
I’m feeling exactly that way at the moment. Mr H has just been and he said it’s a big op having revision surgery. It’s the wind pain that’s awful and trying to get enough fluids in without feeling sick. The hospital/staff have been amazing. I think the first couple of days is always rough. This feels the toughest yet though! I suppose I will feel that at this moment in time. My stomach is so swollen too. Thank you for replying. It’s good to know it’s not just me xx

Anyone know if the manufacturer for Forceval is no longer producing it? This is what my husband has been told.

Anyone know if the manufacturer for Forceval is no longer producing it? This is what my husband has been told.

I was prescribed forceval after my op and that wasn’t long ago. It made me feel sick though and it felt like it got stuck and the soluble is a no go!! So I’ve taken an A-Z vitamin with minerals chewable from day 1 and I’m fine so far x

I was prescribed forceval after my op and that wasn’t long ago. It made me feel sick though and it felt like it got stuck and the soluble is a no go!! So I’ve taken an A-Z vitamin with minerals chewable from day 1 and I’m fine so far x
Which A-Z chewable do you take? I felt so poorly last night. I’m struggling with feeling sick. I’ve only managed water, some peppermint tea and some normal tea. 3 anti sickness drugs later to settle me. Can’t stand feeling sick. Any tips of anything that helps?

Which A-Z chewable do you take? I felt so poorly last night. I’m struggling with feeling sick. I’ve only managed water, some peppermint tea and some normal tea. 3 anti sickness drugs later to settle me. Can’t stand feeling sick. Any tips of anything that helps?

I take just the superdrug own brand :)
It is rough the first few days, just remember you’ve had massive surgery and your tummy is all butchered, your bound to feel sick. Apart from peppermint tea, fresh air and rest there isn’t anything else lovely. It will soon pass x

I take just the superdrug own brand :)
It is rough the first few days, just remember you’ve had massive surgery and your tummy is all butchered, your bound to feel sick. Apart from peppermint tea, fresh air and rest there isn’t anything else lovely. It will soon pass x
Thank you. It’s good to know it will pass as it feels like it’s never going to go. Pain is better than it was, it’s just the sick feeling now. Thank you for your replies x

Day 1 (surgery day)
I managed tiny sips of water and slept on and off for most of the day. Tramadol is the devil! Had that and morphine and then refused anymore. IV drips with paracetamol, antibiotics and fluids.
Day 2
Felt very very sick. Had numerous anti sickness drugs. This evening was the hardest. Wondering what I’d done to myself? Why was I putting myself through this? Out of bed in the early hours of the morning... commode... just wasn’t happening. Got to the toilet and that did the trick. So hard getting out of bed but much needed to help with wind and pain. Physio took me around the ward for a walk. Did it a couple of times but then went downhill with pain and nausea. Didn’t settle till midnight. Managed a tea cup of peppermint tea, a normal tea and some NSA juice.
Day 3
Woke with a little pain and slight sickness. Had some watered down and strained chicken soup - probably about half a tin but didn’t quite finish it all. Had another half a tin in the evening and managed all of that. Some NSA juice and some tea. Not getting lots of fluids in or lots of protein but it’s a start. I don’t feel hungry and have to force myself to eat. Haven’t had any pain relief today but feeling a bit sore now. Made it home from hospital today. Didn’t think that would happen last night. Got to face giving myself injections tonight. :confused:

Last edited:
Day 1 (surgery day)
I managed tiny sips of water and slept on and off for most of the day. Tramadol is the devil! Had that and morphine and then refused anymore. IV drips with paracetamol, antibiotics and fluids.
Day 2
Felt very very sick. Had numerous anti sickness drugs. This evening was the hardest. Wondering what I’d done to myself? Why was I putting myself through this? Out of bed in the early hours of the morning... commode... just wasn’t happening. Got to the toilet and that did the trick. So hard getting out of bed but much needed to help with wind and pain. Physio took me around the ward for a walk. Did it a couple of times but then went downhill with pain and nausea. Didn’t settle till midnight. Managed a tea cup of peppermint tea, a normal tea and some NSA juice.
Day 3
Woke with a little pain and slight sickness. Had some watered down and strained chicken soup - probably about half a tin but didn’t quite finish it all. Had another half a tin in the evening and managed all of that. Some NSA juice and some tea. Not getting lots of fluids in it lots of protein but it’s a start. I don’t feel hungry and have to force myself to eat. Haven’t had any pain relief today but feeling a bit sore now. Made it home from hospital today. Didn’t think that would happen last night. Got to face giving myself injections tonight. :confused:
Congratulations and wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Hi hunny it's good to read your journey (NOT that I want you to be in pain or sickness hunny) so you are day 4 out how are you feeling my lovely? Xxx

Hi hunny it's good to read your journey (NOT that I want you to be in pain or sickness hunny) so you are day 4 out how are you feeling my lovely? Xxx
Hi Lottie, I hope my frank and honest posts don’t put anybody off!
Day 4...
I seem to sleep very well at night. Went to bed at 9:30 as I was beginning to feel groggy. Got up to go to the toilet at some point in the night (which isn’t unusual for me) then straight back to sleep until 7:30am. I seem to feel tired and groggy in the morning, so I had some Calpol and a cup of tea and nodded off with the tv on until about 10:30. Each day it all feels a little easier. I managed 1/2 tin of strained chicken soup mid-morning and my aim is to move over to protein Cambridge Diet soups. Managed one of these which is 16.6g of protein and all 3 of these provide all the daily nutrients a body requires. I seem to feel slightly sick in the mornings and I think this is possibly because my pouch is going about 12-14 hours with no food. So the plan tonight is to have my 2nd protein soup quite late. I don’t actually have any desire to eat, only that my stomach feels more satisfied and settled when I do and I know I need to, so I do. Everything tastes really sweet and my sense of smell is really heightened. I have read post-op that some people struggle with bowel movements. I wasn’t expecting one anytime soon, so it was a shock today that I’ve been twice! My bowels haven’t been good since I did a vlcd in 2006 and lost 11 stone. I am lucky if I go once a week. The fact that I had an enema the night before and morning of my op I didn’t think I’d be going this early on! My OH kindly managed the injection last night. Didn’t feel it going in but felt the stinging it leaves behind. I haven’t slept at all today. After the journey home yesterday I had a snooze for an hour. I think the worst thing at the moment is trying to cough. Oh boy does that hurt! Even with pushing a cushion into my stomach. I feel each day I am making progress with pain, wind, tolerating more fluids etc. Let’s hope it continues!

No hunny-I would personally know ot all-I am a real worrier ( and i am still MILES away from my op-if I EVER get that far ) i would rather know all the true bits personally so when I feel rubbish and read people's journey I know it normal ( ish) i am excited about my journey ( but also v scared as never had an op that I've been knocked out before-i am scared I will never see my son ( 5 years old) again BUT he's my reason for wanting the op there so much i cant di with him ; (

I have read about constipation after the op-and black poo ( sorry maybe tmi but again just what I've read) so glad you had a bowl movement.

Coughing sounds sore hunny.

Fab to read about Cambridge diet soup and protein-i would obviously do it for surgery bit I tried a protein bar about 10 weeks ago and hated it. So good to know there are other sauces of protein. Have you tried any protein drink-I had a sip of a friend something fuel-was awful think it was blue berry.

Hearing you have no urge to eat fills me with hope hunny. I am always mostly hungry. Xxxx

No hunny-I would personally know ot all-I am a real worrier ( and i am still MILES away from my op-if I EVER get that far ) i would rather know all the true bits personally so when I feel rubbish and read people's journey I know it normal ( ish) i am excited about my journey ( but also v scared as never had an op that I've been knocked out before-i am scared I will never see my son ( 5 years old) again BUT he's my reason for wanting the op there so much i cant di with him ; (

I have read about constipation after the op-and black poo ( sorry maybe tmi but again just what I've read) so glad you had a bowl movement.

Coughing sounds sore hunny.

Fab to read about Cambridge diet soup and protein-i would obviously do it for surgery bit I tried a protein bar about 10 weeks ago and hated it. So good to know there are other sauces of protein. Have you tried any protein drink-I had a sip of a friend something fuel-was awful think it was blue berry.

Hearing you have no urge to eat fills me with hope hunny. I am always mostly hungry. Xxxx
Oh I do hope you get a date soon. I was scared and excited but I just thought about the amount of people who have the op and they survive it. My surgeon also said he’s never lost anyone and the chances of death are less than 1%. As with any op, I think the first 48 hours are the worst. That said, I’ve had a number of operations so if it was ever that bad, I wouldn’t go back for more! To be honest, it’s the general anaesthetic and opiut-based drugs that affect me the most. I refuse to take morphine/Tramadol for this reason. I learnt this with my first op - they make you feel sick and out of it. You are doing really well with your weight loss, I’ve been following your thread. I was also never not hungry - apart from first few days post-op, a sickness bug or being pregnant. I have/had no switch off button. I also couldn’t leave food on my plate. Even a gastric band didn’t stop me eating or feel less hunger. Are you waiting for approval? Will you be having a bypass?

I am only almsot at month 5 on tier 3 and got to do 12 months :( and i am really struggling to keep to healthy eating, haven't had great losses so far. Less than a stone in the 5 months :( i am an emotional eater :( Aw hun that good news to hear what your surgon said :) So i have to do 12 months of tier 3 and then hopefully go through approval-which could be miles off-just got to keep plooding away. I would like bypass, from the research ive done i think it will be the best.

xxxx

I am only almsot at month 5 on tier 3 and got to do 12 months :( and i am really struggling to keep to healthy eating, haven't had great losses so far. Less than a stone in the 5 months :( i am an emotional eater :( Aw hun that good news to hear what your surgon said :) So i have to do 12 months of tier 3 and then hopefully go through approval-which could be miles off-just got to keep plooding away. I would like bypass, from the research ive done i think it will be the best.

xxxx
You can do this! You’re actually eating really well. Ok, so the weight isn’t falling off, but people with serious weight/food problems who make no effort, would have gained in those 5 months. Get Christmas out of the way and give yourself a real kickstart in the new year. Your time will soon be here! The months just fly by. Doing this for the next 7 months means the pathway to a lifetime of happiness with the tool of the bypass. You can and you will!

Day 5...
Well, I spoke too soon yesterday when I said about sleeping so well. Didn't have a snooze all day yeasterday and didn't go to sleep till midnight and I still struggled to get to sleep then. Anyway, by 4:30am, I decided to give in and get up. Got a quilt and pillows and propped myself up on the settee, watched TV for an hour and then dozed off for a couple of hours. I bought one of those v-shaped pillows and what a great investment! Think I'll still use it when I'm fully recovered. Becoming more mobile each day, not needed any pain relief since yesterday morning. I've been pottering about more today- tidying around, sorting washing out etc nothing too strenuous but it's good to be moving about a bit more and need to tire myself out for some sleep tonight! The man in the big red suit won't bring any presents if I'm awake! I'm managing 3x protein shakes a day, which is about 50g of protein- not too bad at this stage. This equates to 750mls of liquid and then I'm managing another 1000-1200 in NAS Ribena and tea. Talking of tea, I was a massive tea drinker pre-op but finding it doesn't go down so easily now. I can eat 250mls of protein soup which totally fills me up, but can only drink half this in tea? I'm also wondering if I'm sensitive to the milk as I opened my bowels twice yesterday and went again today when I had my morning cup of tea. I may do black tea later on and see what happens. At least it's great that I don't need any yucky laxative medicine! I'm going all out tomorrow and making pea and ham soup for Christmas dinner! Going to add Marvel to it instead of butter that is mentioned in the recipe I found... less fat and more protein! Really nervous about upsetting my stomach so doing everything by the book... well almost! I've not introduced iron or calcium supplements at the minute. I know I'm getting all daily requirements from my meal replacement shakes but I also know I won't be absorbing all of these. I will introduce them in a few days just don't want to overload and feel I need to get used to how my stomach is, how to work with it etc before throwing too much at it. I am taking Lanzoprozol, vitamins and my injection. Anyway, I have lost 1st 7lb now with 2 weeks pre-op diet (1st 2lb) and 5lb in 5 days from my op. I'm quite surprised at my 5lb loss since surgery as my past experiences of surgery have seen my weight unchanged due to the effects of GA on the body. I've had 2 ops to remove excess skin and each time about half a stone of skin/fat was removed and I weighed exactly the same post-op, which is mind boggling. So my weight loss post-op is quite a nice surprise and very unexpected.
6/12/17 weight was 17st 1
19/12/17 15st 13
Op on 20/12/17
23/12/17 .... 15st 8. Total loss: 17 days = 1st 7lb/ 21lb :D:D:D:sw021:

Last edited:
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!
DAY 6...
Had a lovely Christmas Day with my family. I seem to feel nauseous and slightly light-headed in the mornings and it can take a couple of hours to pass. Not sure why this is and wonder if it’s just post-surgery stuff or it’s part of bypass life! My son and his girlfriend came over for dinner today and I got away with having homemade pea and ham soup as I just told them I’d had a sickness bug, still wasn’t 100% and I didn’t want to chance a large dinner. It all seemed fine. I was able to help with some parts of the dinner, but my hubster did the majority of it. I was totally uninterested in the food or desserts. Not even been bothered by all of the chocs that have been around the last few days. The peace this is giving to my usually tortured mind is an immense feeling! Not to be constantly thinking about food/overeating/trying to resist/bingeing or how I feel after these times when I don’t fit in my clothes - dreading returning to work in January feeling everyone can see how my fat suit has grown and is ready to burst. I can gain 1.5-2 stone over December/Christmas. That alone, is worth every bit of what I’ve been through the last week and the cost! I know at some point it’s likely that all this may disappear as the swelling depleats and hunger returns. Something tells me I will never return to living the food torturing life I did... even if it isn’t as great as it is now. I’ve had virtually no pain relief for a few days now and each day the pain gets easier. For the last 2 days, I’ve had 2 x a-day in the bowel movement department. Today I haven’t had any, so not easy to work out why they occurred, but it’s good not to be struggling. I’ve had to change a couple of dressings as one of the wounds seemed to be weeping. I think it’s just because it’s sitting where my trouser waistband sits.
Another 2lb down on the scales this morning... quite a shock! That’s 1st 9lb lost ... 7lb in 6 days post op.

You are doing so well hunny. And thank you for rooting for me. MERRY CHRISTMAS hunny xxx

You are doing so well hunny. And thank you for rooting for me. MERRY CHRISTMAS hunny xxx
Thank you. You’re welcome. Hope you’ve had a good day... Merry Christmas xx

DAY 7...
Another 2lb off this morning. Finding the weight loss unbelievable, especially as I'm far less active than I usually am. I'm sure it will slow down. I've been pottering about the house today and am feeling deprived of fresh air! I wanted to go for a walk today but the weather was so awful, I couldn’t chance getting cold, wet and ill on top of recovering. I am going out tomorrow... I will be a week post-op tomorrow and going to go to a small town shopping centre. I started my calcichew and iron today. I’d been putting it off as I didn’t want to overload my system and have still had bits of nausea. I’ve taken most of my dressings off today. All looks well apart from one wound which just keeps oozing a little. I have a red patch at the side of the wound from the sticky plastic that surrounds the dressing. I’m hoping it’s just an irritation from that and not a bloody infection. I’ve re-dressed the wound with a gentler dressing and put some cream on the redness. I will head off to see the nurse at my surgery if it looks like there’s a problem. I’m still not feeling hungry or bothered by the endless festive treats that are still around. I’d usually be constantly grazing on these, which is probably why there’s still lots of goodies left. Pain and movement is getting easier by the day. I keep thinking of the first couple of days post-op and how awful I felt and how I really did feel I was never going to get better... it already seems a lifetime ago. My friend’s birthday is on Saturday and I usually dread it as it means going out when I’ve gained stones in weight throughout December. This time I am looking forward to going out and not feeling any fatter ... in fact I’m almost 2 stone lighter - which is a first!

Back