• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ms R Simpkin's Post-Op Diary!

msrsimpkin

Long time no post! Sorry I haven't been very active here recently. I've still been lurking and reading, but haven't updated much as things have been pretty smooth sailing so far. I made the tradition from purée/mashed food to soft food over the weekend, and am slowly introducing the odd not-so-soft foods occasionally. My dietitian suggested adding crispier things that soften down easily in the mouth, like crispbreads and puffy, low fat crisps like Wotsits or Quavers, and so far all has been fine.

Well, that is apart from today. I made spaghetti bolognese for Mr for lunch and decided I'd just have some of the bolognese. I had one teaspoon, chewed very well, and the second it hit my stomach I had this horrible pain in my stomach. A real sharp, knotting pain. Now, sorry for tmi, but I'm currently having my monthly, so I assumed it was related to that. It soon passed, so I tried another teaspoon. Well, then it was clear that it wasn't period pain! I was in absolute agony for about 10 minutes, rocking back and forth, rolling around on the bed, pacing up and down. Nothing helped, until it just passed by itself.

I'm assuming it was just too rich for my stomach this early on. Maybe all the garlic, herbs, tomato, etc. was just too much. I'll be sticking to something a bit blander from now on, at least for a while.

msrsimpkin

Not had the best day today, food-wise! There was a bit of a family crisis and I had to go and babysit my great niece and nephew while my niece had to rush off. So, all I had to eat was whatever she had in. Which turned out to be white toast, crisps and tea with a biscuit. I tried to make some better food choices when I got home, though. I had fat free greek yoghurt with fresh cherries (so, so good!), and chicken stir fry, with calorie free noodles for dinner! It didn't turn out too bad in the end.

Chrisyd

Sometimes there are few choices - how did your pouch manage with the white bread, etc?

Wayne S

Hi, I've only recently joined the forum.
What are the daily injections that you mentioned earlier in your thread? (25th July)
Also, I'm already on 13 tablets per day, including 15mg of Lansoprazole.
My RNY is due in the next 4-6 weeks.

Wayne S

Portion Size

A bit of Stat Trek before bed and I'll update my food for today while I'm at it...

Day 14

B: Coffee w/ Splenda (wasn't hungry, forgot to actually eat! Oops!)
L: Minced Beef, onions & gravy, and mash
D: Approx 50g Cottage Cheese
F: 1 litre NAS, 200ml Tropical juice

I weighted out about 80g of cottage cheese, but only ate a little more than half if it. It's going to take a while to learn just how much I can actually eat. I ended up leaving some mash at lunchtime too (I made sure to eat my protein first ;))

I don't know if I'm not eating enough. I know that sounds silly, considering I've just had a gastric bypass, but my surgeon's advice says I should be eating 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, and aiming to be eating 600 calories.

I'm currently usually eating 2 main meals and maybe a bit of fromage frais or yoghurt if I'm lucky. And only eating around 300-400 calories!

Am I just looking too much into it at this early stage? I do feel very satisfied on the amount I'm eating, but it just got me wondering as I was rereading through my hospital notes.

Do you have any photos of your meals so I can get a realistic idea of your portion sizes? I'm still pre-op.:17729:

Wayne S

I tried the vanilla protein "coffee creamer" this morning. Well, I don't know what j did wrong, but it wouldn't mix properly. Maybe it doesn't like being mixed into anything hot. I think next time I'll try mixing it with a little water or milk first.

I ended up having a strawberry cream shake instead, which was really yummy!

Then I had just under half a Weight Watchers thai green curry with a bit of extra chicken in. I really, really enjoyed it. I have the other half in the freezer, I might have that tomorrow.

And I plan on having chicken and gravy for dinner! Yum! Some good eatings today!

Was the Thai curry pureed as well?:confused:

Wayne S

Well, that is apart from today. I made spaghetti bolognese for Mr for lunch and decided I'd just have some of the bolognese. I had one teaspoon, chewed very well, and the second it hit my stomach I had this horrible pain in my stomach. A real sharp, knotting pain. Now, sorry for tmi, but I'm currently having my monthly, so I assumed it was related to that. It soon passed, so I tried another teaspoon. Well, then it was clear that it wasn't period pain! I was in absolute agony for about 10 minutes, rocking back and forth, rolling around on the bed, pacing up and down. Nothing helped, until it just passed by itself.

I'm assuming it was just too rich for my stomach this early on. Maybe all the garlic, herbs, tomato, etc. was just too much. I'll be sticking to something a bit blander from now on, at least for a while.

I'm a time-served chef, and I hate to tell you, but there is quite a lot of sugar in any tomato-based sauce. That could have been the cause of your pain?

msrsimpkin

Hi Wayne. Sorry, I haven't been around much recently. I occasionally hop on and lurk around for a while, but rarely post any more. I really should start updating again.

The injections were the ones they give you after you've been in for an op operation, to help prevent blood clots in your legs due to lack of movement. They don't hurt, it's just that the thought of injecting yourself is icky! Haha. You only have they for about 2 weeks, so it's not that bad.

Yes, I did purée the Thai curry. I puréed a lot of odd things. I found that it was possible to purée almost anything if you added enough liquid to it! Haha. I found soft cheese, like laughing cow (they do different flavours) or Philadelphia, an absolute god send on the purée stage! I've said purée too much now! lol

I never even thought about the sugars in tomato sauce, but of course, that makes total sense now! It was really the only thing I had a problem with (other than dairy, it seems I've become lactose intolerant).

Good luck for your operation. Are you also having the RNY? This forum will become like a second home to you! Everyone is so friendly, and there's so much info and helpful tips from people. It really makes the journey so much easier!

msrsimpkin

Do you have any photos of your meals so I can get a realistic idea of your portion sizes? I'm still pre-op.

I don't actually have any photos of my meals, but I'll start taking a few and post them here. I find that the amount people can eat seems to vary quite a lot. There's people who can eat considerably less than me, but then there's also people who can eat more.

I remember reading that someone's doctor said, as long as you're eating less than you were before, then it's all good :)