• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My revision and stricture!!

Bluedawny

Hi I had a band in 2006 and lost 13 stone was quite happy with it I went to Belgium and had a tummy tuck with muscle repair my arms and legs done and new boobies! Anyone wants details let me know!! He is brilliant and a fraction of the cost in the uk!

After 5 years my band tightened up had a de fill put on a stone and panicked so had it tightened again. Lost the weight again but felt terrible had acid all day and all night, persistent cough that took over my life! I lived like that for a year - couldn't really eat and would eat and puke!

I went to see my surgeon and he was really angry with me - did an unfill (I insisted it wasn't much) I went away still had the cough and acid so I booked to have a gastric bypass on 7th November (hubby paid as he was sick to death of my cough) by the time of my operation date I had gone from 11stone 2lb (lowest I have been is 10 stone 9lb) up to 12stone 7lb. I didn't need to go on the milk diet as my surgeon said my operation was to maintain weight rather than loose huge amounts - I know that without any WLS I would get back to 23 stone as I'm a compulsive eater!!! Wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place if I could stop!!

I had my surgery and needed two surgeons Mr Van den Bossche and Mr Jamie Kelly as my band had well and truly stuck!! I had a fobi ring added as I wanted my pouch to stay the same size (hopefully that will work) when I came around both surgeons visited me separately and told me off as I had done damage to my oesophagus hence my cough and the sphincter had completely gone!! They said that I will always need to adhere to small portions as my oesophagus could not push the food through!! It was because I had pushed against the band!

After the op I had the pain most of us get in the left port which really caned!! I felt like I was the only person in the world to have this and it really hurt to move (I still had my cough which I dreaded as it felt like my insides were exploding each time I had to cough) and the wind!!!! Ouch!!!

After three weeks I was back at work but the first day back the doctors I work with gave me 12 medicals to do, I'm a technician so do the prelims of pilot medicals which consist of ECG, audio, cholesterol test, lung function test, HB test, height, weight and wee test! each takes 30 mins so had one 9am 9.30, 10.00,10.30,11.00 and at 11.30 I gave up as I felt so ill - couldn't even drive home so had to get hubby to collect me! Each doctor (work for 4) blamed each other as they know I should have had a phased return to work do for the rest of the week I worked until 2pm.

My progression to solid food was not going well, liquid in the first 3 weeks was great (so nice to be able to drink without that strangulation feeling the band gave me) I know I was dehydrated as when I left the hospital having not eaten for days I weighed 13 stone 3lb!!!!! After 2 weeks on liquids I went on to puréed food but unless it was really watery I couldn't keep it down. I tried for another week like this sticking to my soups and not feeling hungry really! I was due my six week check but at week 5 I phoned my surgeon as the last few days I couldn't even keep my liquids down - it was the same strangulation feeling as the band grrr!!! He told me to come in to his surgery on Thursday 12th November and not to have anything to eat or drink as he was going to put a camera down my throat to see if I had a stricture! Luckily I only live 15 mins away from the hospital so went to work in the morning, as I was going to be sedated (thank god! I'm a baby) hubby took me across - I hadn't really lost much weight about a stone - hubby said he felt cheated as I still had the cough and the only thing different was I farted loads lolol!

I went at 1pm and must admit was more nervous of this procedure than any of my others ??? Don't know why - I went down at 2pm and they sprayed my throat asked my to bite on a tooth protector (as I have crowns) and the next thing I remember I was back in my bed in my room. Mr Van den Bosshe came to see me and said that the join in my oesophagus was supposed to be the size of his middle finger but mine had healed over to a pin hole that's why I couldn't eat! The nurse said I will get Sue some soup - he said no get her a sandwich! OMG I hadn't eaten solid food for weeks and I was nervous as hell - I had half a sandwich chewed really well and it was bliss! I felt full and a cheese and pickle sandwich never tasted so good!

I was allowed home within the hour and that was 3 days ago - I don't feel hungry so am pushing myself to get my protein down as I'm paranoid about loosing my hair!! I've been prescribe high dose zinc Vitamin D and calcium also Forceival which I think is yuck! But will take as I was lacking all vitamins with my band and needed a Ferritin transfusion before my RNY at a cost of £700.00 I asked hubby what was I getting for Christmas and he said "your fart implant has cost me enough" lolol!

I weighed myself this morning and I was 11stone 7lb so another 5lb should be at my happy place!!!!

Roccosmummy

Wow you really have been through it. I love that you're always so upbeat and positive. I can't wait for my new revision.... Band to fart implant :))

Fingers crossed you reach your happy place soon and maintain it. Take your vits girl!
Vx

robina

Sat here giggling at fart implant. Bless you you've had a rough journey, glad your on the mend finally

Last edited:
Wow what a journey, you poor thing - you've been through the mill ! Glad you are nearly to your 'happy place'. Mr Van den Bossche did my mini gastric bypass in September - where you at Southampton ? x :)

Bluedawny

hi Pinklady

I certainly was :D been a regular visitor in Southampton over the past few years - with my fill unfills fills fills unfill fills!! ;)

hi Pinklady I certainly was :D been a regular visitor in Southampton over the past few years - with my fill unfills fills fills unfill fills!! ;)

Ha ha ! Having terrible trouble with the dietician there - just cannot get her to reply to any of my e-mails !! Anyway, I shall persist but am not impressed at all ! x

Bluedawny

I know her!! She told me that I needed to look at my life and if I tried a diet and exercise I probably wouldn't need WLS!! I carried on with the meeting and near the end I complimented her on her lovely figure I said you must do lots of exercise and hardly eat, she said that she was lucky as she inherited her physique from her parents - hmmm!!! I said if only everyone was that "lucky" there would be no WLS surgeons or dieticians! ;)

I know her!! She told me that I needed to look at my life and if I tried a diet and exercise I probably wouldn't need WLS!! I carried on with the meeting and near the end I complimented her on her lovely figure I said you must do lots of exercise and hardly eat, she said that she was lucky as she inherited her physique from her parents - hmmm!!! I said if only everyone was that "lucky" there would be no WLS surgeons or dieticians! ;)

Ha ha Bluedawny that sounds like the sort of thing SHE would say !! The only dietary advise she has given me is eat slow and chew well ! I have learnt a lot more on this site ;)

mamalishious

Hi I had a band in 2006 and lost 13 stone was quite happy with it I went to Belgium and had a tummy tuck with muscle repair my arms and legs done and new boobies! Anyone wants details let me know!! He is brilliant and a fraction of the cost in the uk!

After 5 years my band tightened up had a de fill put on a stone and panicked so had it tightened again. Lost the weight again but felt terrible had acid all day and all night, persistent cough that took over my life! I lived like that for a year - couldn't really eat and would eat and puke!

I went to see my surgeon and he was really angry with me - did an unfill (I insisted it wasn't much) I went away still had the cough and acid so I booked to have a gastric bypass on 7th November (hubby paid as he was sick to death of my cough) by the time of my operation date I had gone from 11stone 2lb (lowest I have been is 10 stone 9lb) up to 12stone 7lb. I didn't need to go on the milk diet as my surgeon said my operation was to maintain weight rather than loose huge amounts - I know that without any WLS I would get back to 23 stone as I'm a compulsive eater!!! Wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place if I could stop!!

I had my surgery and needed two surgeons Mr Van den Bossche and Mr Jamie Kelly as my band had well and truly stuck!! I had a fobi ring added as I wanted my pouch to stay the same size (hopefully that will work) when I came around both surgeons visited me separately and told me off as I had done damage to my oesophagus hence my cough and the sphincter had completely gone!! They said that I will always need to adhere to small portions as my oesophagus could not push the food through!! It was because I had pushed against the band!

After the op I had the pain most of us get in the left port which really caned!! I felt like I was the only person in the world to have this and it really hurt to move (I still had my cough which I dreaded as it felt like my insides were exploding each time I had to cough) and the wind!!!! Ouch!!!

After three weeks I was back at work but the first day back the doctors I work with gave me 12 medicals to do, I'm a technician so do the prelims of pilot medicals which consist of ECG, audio, cholesterol test, lung function test, HB test, height, weight and wee test! each takes 30 mins so had one 9am 9.30, 10.00,10.30,11.00 and at 11.30 I gave up as I felt so ill - couldn't even drive home so had to get hubby to collect me! Each doctor (work for 4) blamed each other as they know I should have had a phased return to work do for the rest of the week I worked until 2pm.

My progression to solid food was not going well, liquid in the first 3 weeks was great (so nice to be able to drink without that strangulation feeling the band gave me) I know I was dehydrated as when I left the hospital having not eaten for days I weighed 13 stone 3lb!!!!! After 2 weeks on liquids I went on to puréed food but unless it was really watery I couldn't keep it down. I tried for another week like this sticking to my soups and not feeling hungry really! I was due my six week check but at week 5 I phoned my surgeon as the last few days I couldn't even keep my liquids down - it was the same strangulation feeling as the band grrr!!! He told me to come in to his surgery on Thursday 12th November and not to have anything to eat or drink as he was going to put a camera down my throat to see if I had a stricture! Luckily I only live 15 mins away from the hospital so went to work in the morning, as I was going to be sedated (thank god! I'm a baby) hubby took me across - I hadn't really lost much weight about a stone - hubby said he felt cheated as I still had the cough and the only thing different was I farted loads lolol!

I went at 1pm and must admit was more nervous of this procedure than any of my others ??? Don't know why - I went down at 2pm and they sprayed my throat asked my to bite on a tooth protector (as I have crowns) and the next thing I remember I was back in my bed in my room. Mr Van den Bosshe came to see me and said that the join in my oesophagus was supposed to be the size of his middle finger but mine had healed over to a pin hole that's why I couldn't eat! The nurse said I will get Sue some soup - he said no get her a sandwich! OMG I hadn't eaten solid food for weeks and I was nervous as hell - I had half a sandwich chewed really well and it was bliss! I felt full and a cheese and pickle sandwich never tasted so good!

I was allowed home within the hour and that was 3 days ago - I don't feel hungry so am pushing myself to get my protein down as I'm paranoid about loosing my hair!! I've been prescribe high dose zinc Vitamin D and calcium also Forceival which I think is yuck! But will take as I was lacking all vitamins with my band and needed a Ferritin transfusion before my RNY at a cost of £700.00 I asked hubby what was I getting for Christmas and he said "your fart implant has cost me enough" lolol!

I weighed myself this morning and I was 11stone 7lb so another 5lb should be at my happy place!!!!

Wow what a journey. I love this site for all the help support and honesty. I hope u soon get to ur happy place. And I hope hubby gets used to the farting lol.

Carby2barbie

I know you probably haven't been on here in years!!! But I was just wandering how you were getting on? As I'm due for surgery with Van dan Bossche on the 16th March and still am undecided on a fobi ring and I'm struggling to find someone to tell me there experience xxx

Carby2barbie

I know you probably haven't been on here in years!!! But I was just wandering how you were getting on? As I'm due for surgery with Van dan Bossche on the 16th March and still am undecided on a fobi ring and I'm struggling to find someone to tell me there experience xxx

valentine

Hi Carly I've done loads of research on the Fobi ring and it does seem to be getting lots more popular in recent years.

It has only 1% risk of complication and is proven to keep the pouch from stretching further down the line.
If I had been a private patient I would definitely have opted to have it fitted during my bypass.

Have you been on YouTube??? There are lots of vids on there from people that have had it done ..

Can you let me know if you do opt to have it done so I can see how you get on please xx

Carby2barbie

Hi Carly I've done loads of research on the Fobi ring and it does seem to be getting lots more popular in recent years.

It has only 1% risk of complication and is proven to keep the pouch from stretching further down the line.
If I had been a private patient I would definitely have opted to have it fitted during my bypass.

Have you been on YouTube??? There are lots of vids on there from people that have had it done ..

Can you let me know if you do opt to have it done so I can see how you get on please xx

I was going to message you today actually! As I have been doing so much research and I have been emailing my surgeon. And I am going to go for it. He reassured me that it is probably less than 1% and that seems to be for patients that push it to the limits and from any surgeons who don't add stitches internally to secure it! Xxx

valentine

That's fab!!
It seems to me that it's a bit of a "belt and braces" approach to surgery.
Well if it reduces the chance of stretching your pouch then I'm all for it.
When is your surgery scheduled?
Is it far off now? Xx

valentine

Just noticed it's for this month on your signature info .. how exciting for you x x

Carby2barbie

Just noticed it's for this month on your signature info .. how exciting for you x x

Yes it's the 16th so getting nervous now!! Chuffed with the weight loss on this preop diet as well 11lb so far!
Yes my surgeon said he can pretty much guarantee no weight regain with the fobi ring and I have seen some useful pics and information online about it over time. How are you?? Xx

valentine

I'm good .i had a call from my hospital today to say that my MDT should be in a few weeks (April ) which is not far away so I'm super pleased to hear that .

My surgeons secretary has been off sick for nearly a month so he has a massive backlog of admin for the temp to wade through.

I'm just grateful to be considered for a revision as I know that within the NHS it's not always an easy thing to get ..

The pictures of the fobi ring in place are very self explanatory aren't they.. xx

Carby2barbie

I'm good .i had a call from my hospital today to say that my MDT should be in a few weeks (April ) which is not far away so I'm super pleased to hear that .

My surgeons secretary has been off sick for nearly a month so he has a massive backlog of admin for the temp to wade through.

I'm just grateful to be considered for a revision as I know that within the NHS it's not always an easy thing to get ..

The pictures of the fobi ring in place are very self explanatory aren't they.. xx

Fantastic news! Yes def you are very lucky I have heard how hard it is.
Yes some pictures are great to make you realise over time to like this one ......

Attachments

• IMG_0922.PNG
    IMG_0922.PNG
    436.9 KB · Views: 10