• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nat's Diary with her new lil friend the sleeve...

Natstar

Hello ladies and gents,

Well it's done and I am officially sleeved!

On Monday at 12 I was admitted to the spire hospital and went down for surgery at 5pm, later than originally planned however there were issues in surgery prior to me. Prior to going down j met the anthiesatist and consultant where imsigned my conesent form. One thing here that was slightly different is the doc asked me if he opened me up and my liver was too fatty did i want a balloon going on or ti have open surgery where i would alomst certainly have a hernia. Having had a balloon 3 years ago and not lost any weight there was no way i was opting for this again so i commited to having open surgery.

I went down nice and calmly and lay on the op table where the anthiesatist sent me into a lovely sleep.

The next thing I know I am being forced to sit up by them pulling the bed up and I am furiously retching and being sick and all I can think about is the pain! Now I know being sick puts pressure on your tummy anyway let alone just after surgery - needless to say it was not pleasant. The next thing was the nurses telling me my mum had gone home as it was so late and I immediately knew I must have had difficulties as she would have stayed to check I was ok so then I started to panic and wonder what had happened to me. I immediately thought I had had open surgey and that was my only reason why I was in so much pain.

I remember lying in Hdu moaning in pain and them seeing what else they could give me as I'd had a lot in surgery, eventually I had a suppository and something else and drifted into a sleep. I was in Hdu all night and monitored constantly where the nurse was lovely and kept checking I was ok, at around 3am the pain was back and I felt awful so had a morphine based drug through my drip which made me feel worse before I felt better as I was suddenly really hot and sick which is apparently normal. I then eventually drifted back to sleep u til about 5 where I dosed till I saw the doc at 8ish

When he came up he was really nice but told me I was really difficult so had an extra incision which will contribute to the extra soreness, the reason for my difficultness is a) I an short so there isn't a great deal of room to get to everything but b) I have the biggest stomach he has ever had to remove! Now I wasnt sure wether to laugh or cry, he said its the biggest he has ever seem and called it "enormous" considering he has done 100's and I'm not as big as some people it was quite embarrassing. He said it was no wonder the balloon didn't work as it would have just been lost in there and my stomach has no doubt stretched due to the years of binge eating but still it does account as to why I never got full and over ate - so hopefully I'm going to get a really good result!

After he left I had the the pulled out of my nose - thank god! That was the most uncomfortable thing ew! My catheter was removed and had a wash. I spent the morning dozing and my bf visited with flowers. Then blood tests, back to my room, where my dad then came to visit, again more dozing and pain killers about 5pm. I had a Dailey good nights sleep only waking at 3 and 5 so and I saw the doc this morning who is really pleased with my progress!

So yesterday was water only and trying to get up to 90mm an hour and today I have progressed to having the drip removed woo hoo and I get to have squash today with the intention of starting the routine this evening after the foc has been again to check on me. I'm felling ok, a bit sore and chest pains every now and then but nothing unbearable, hoping to get out more today and go down to the garden outside as it is so lovely!

I'll try and update agan soon but now for I hope you've made room for me in the losers bench as I'm plonking myself down!

Nx

Last edited:
Welcome to the losers' bench, Natstar!

Sorry to hear about all your problems and post-op pain, but it goes within days, and will soon be a distant memory.

Interesting what you said about having the biggest stomach they had ever seen -- I wonder whether having had a balloon 3 years ago actually enlargened your stomach? ......I realise I am making a hypothetical layman's wild guess in the dark, but I just wonder .....???

Thanks Sharon!

Re my stomach I also thought the same thing, it is without a doubt after the balloon that my weight got out of control at to this highest point so maybe I just learnt to eat around it and managed to stretch it even bigger. Either way I was quite embarrassed but also relieved as there was a reason for it in a way now!

Nx

Im glad to see you are on the road to recovery. Its a little harsh in the early days post op but for most this time is soon a distant memory and all the positive benefits overtake your health and lifestyle.. take care and take plenty of rest over the next few weeks. Good luck with your healthy weightloss that you are going to have :) xx

Hi Natstar
Hope you feeling better this morning...I remember waking up and retching and being terrified of damamging my new revised stomach....it's awful, isn't it?

Take one day at a time, you have had a bit of a rough ride, don't under-estimate the toll on your body.
Have made room for you on the Losers Bench!
It's all good from now on.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. x

Well done Natstar - onwards and downwards as far as the wieght is concerned. Glad you're on the way to recovery - will watch your progress with interest. x

Welcome to the bench ;) x x

Great news welcome to loosers bench.

Day 5 Post op.....

So today is day 5 post op and as I'm at home and it's baking I decided to get out of the heat and update you all for those that are interested.

Well on Thursday morning the doc came round and said he was v pleased with my progress and how I was getting in so much so he didn't know what to do with me so I was allowed home and discharged woop woop! The nurse came round to remove my drain (bleurgh that was a very odd feeling but hardly anything in so a positive sign) and changed my dressings which looked very neat with all their staples in, and then they packed me off with bag of treats (drugs, injections, build up shakes etc) off back to my mum and dads house. Now the reason I stayed there was because db hadn't finished painting the bathroom yet and I told him I wouldn't come home till it was all finished in case of infections etc - this led to him staying up till half 2 getting it all done bless him. I had a lovely time at my mums, sat in the garden in the shade relaxing and had a lovely big bed. I did have a slip up with the injection which I posted on another thread, I somehow didn't do it right and managed to give myself a lump where it went in and it bled quite a bit (it started bleeding again around 11pm so I guess the blood had thinned out nicely by then to start it off!)

Friday morning I had my first proper full shower, being very careful not to get the wounds wet and it was bliss! My mum has washed my hair for me on Wednesday night in the hospital and it had made me cry, I sat there balling while she dried it for me, I guess it was something to do with all the relief and tension coming out as I hadn't let my guard down once throughout the whole thing (lead up, op and post op). However as soon as she walked in I felt all teary like finally everything was ok as my mum was now there and I could let go. Sorry I digress...... So yes shower and the eventually db came and got me after work and I came home lady night.

Now last night wasn't a very good one, I definitely had post op blues/ anger and posted on here to check it was normal so I won't repeat myself but needless to say I didn't have a particularly good night emotionally.

Today has been a bit better, although I didn't have a great night sleep as it was hot and the duvet and db seemed to be in my way, that and I'm used to sleeping on my front not my back really got on my nerves. I've been ok today just switching between sitting in the garden and sitting in the front room, I haven't had a lot food wise yet so I really need to try and get some more down me. I've only had x1 slimfast shake, x1 frozen ice squash lolly so I'm just having some soothie and then later will try and get some more slim set down me. Db hasn't wound me up as much today luckily, bless him I was getting very agitated with the mess this morning and he shut me out the way so he could tidy and clean so I feel a lot more relaxed now.

I feel I'm suffering a lot with head hunger toda and being back in my normal surroundings isn't helping. Im not physically hungry but being around food is difficult today, db has has haribo and cookies and been to Griggs and is off out tonight to have a few drinks with his family.....now all of this is my usual weekend routine and I'm mentally sort of missing it. I saw a bloody dominoes advert and thought what have I done to myself I love dominoes! I guess I just need to get my head in the game now, my body physically has changed but now I need to work on my mind which is the hardest bit!

So that's it for now sorry for the very long post!

(on a positive note I jumped on the scales and had lost 12lb this morning since my last weigh in which was 7 days before my op.....! Yay!)

Nxx

Just read your diary nat. Bloody hell! No wonder you've been feeling mentally horrific! That sounds like hell, you must be a very strong person to get through all that.
Sounds like you had a ton of 'mind altering' drugs too. It takes a good week or so for it all to get out your system and they can make you tearful, agitated etc.
Give yourself some head space and breathing space my lovely xx

Woop Woop jumped on the scales this morning and I'm 17.6 1/4 which means I have lost 1 stone and 3/4 of a pound since I started my pre op diet (which was 1 half hearted week at 1000cal) to say I am happy is an understatement yeeeaahhhh :)

So today I am 10 day post op and have just got back from the doc's after having my clips taken out. It was totally fine and pain free bar one minor sting but it was nothing phew!

However after taking one out she realised it had come open slightly so it's been taped up and I am going to get it checked next week. It's the one under my belly button though so low down and I dont feel it so I don't really care.

The one on my left by my stomach though is quite sore and tender so I am trying to rest it maybe I've been doing too much on it as I have been out and about over the past few days (It was my birthday on Tuesday so had a little trip out and then have been out for a few hours today)

I have however noticed when I stand up the area where my stomach/pouch now is sticks out. I can rest my hand under my left boob and sort of cup the area as it comes out then fsinks back and flattens down again. I am hoping it will go down again soon though!

Still drinking lots and managing to get a lot down, averaging about 700cal a day with my 2 protein shakes, 1 slimfast, 1 glass of smoothie and lots of squash and peppermint tea. Only 3 more weeks of liquid to go before the mush begins woo hoo!

Wow Nat what a dreadful journey you had to begin with....wouldn't wish that in anyone! So glad for you that you're on the men's & loosing well too so the end of the line is in sight! Take it steady & good luck with your continued journey! ?

Thank Hun! It s weird because it all seems a distant memory and it didn't feel that bad really but I guess compared to other peoples it was eek!

Boom 2 weeks ago today I was trying to remain calm whilst getting my hospital bag ready and now before you know it here I am on the sofa officially another 5lbs down.....(17.1) today!

Tomorrow I will be entering my 3rd week of liquids so it's not going to be long before Im onto purée again. I'm glad I'm off this week still (well working from home) purely so I can catch up n sky+ and get myself mentally ready to be back in work and back to travelling down the country again! Luckily I'll only be in work 3 1/2 weeks before I'm flying off to the Dominican though eek über exciting!

On that note I've been doing a bit of online bikini shopping well tankini shopping before my hols and also managed to pick up a few pieces in Boots of all places yesterday so I'm definitely getting into the holiday spirit, even if it will be a sober slushy food one for me while the rest are tanked up on their all inclusive food/drink ha!

So this week has been fairly straight forward, staples are out hooray, wounds healing nicely, imjecting myself perfectly, taking my anti acids, and found some chewable vitamins so started on these. The only thing I am worried about now is that I maybe having too many calories to be so early on! I find I can drink very easily so the 200ml doesn't always apply, for instance ifi have a slim fast shake, I will have the full 320ml bottle (or whatever it is) over 20 minutes or so.....I'm also topping myself up with the odd glass of innocent smoothie or juice so I'm thinking I may need to knock that on the head as on Saturday I hit 1000cals where as most peoples seem to be seeing are having 500 or so. On average I have around 7-800 a day at the moment.

I guess I'm just worried that I don't seem to be restricted in what I can drink and I thought I would be so early on and I'm worried I won't feel restricted when I move onto the mush stage etc and then I won't loose as much.....I know this is all hyperthetcical and I hoping I will see a difference when I start on purée and then the full feeling will come. I guess the upside is I'm not physically hungry so won't feel the need to eat even if I can....argh I don't kow!

Anyway it's still bank holiday and I've got some friends coming up from London for the day so I better go and dry my hair and make myself look presentable!

Nx

hello natstar. thank you so much for posting your diary. its a very interesting read for me as im waiting for my op date... wish you all the luck in your journey.xx

Don't worry about food and being full...you will be full on a tiny amount when you start on pureed stage.!

This is a very tense time as we fear food still, but, even though I am on a major stall at the moment, I am so happy I have my Sleeve!

I think it takes a few months to learn the ropes, so just try to relax and enjoy planning for your holiday !

Thanks ladies!

Well yesterday was a good day in the sense I was out all day, lunch, BBQ/Chinese at my mums and then another night at the local club so I guess it was my first real attempt a day out being in the real world surrounded by food and the good news is it went well!

I sipped on my j20's and water and even had some soup of the day (only half the bowl) and I felt great. Don't get me wrong I kept staring at the food and thinking mmmm I'd like to eat that and that but obviously I can't and also didn't want to that much!

So this bent around food etc is actually ok, and also I seemed to have turned into a bit of a domestic goddess. Every night last week I made my db's packed lunch and I cooked dinner for him- which is something I would never have done before! I hated cooking and found it very boring yet I now want to and enjoyed helping out and being a lil housewife. I was even the one last night who organised the Chinese, went to collect it and put all out with the dishese etc yesterday.... Hmmmm maybe this not eating business has changed me into a secret feeder haha!

Nx

Back