• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

need advice on tummy tuck

ive just recieved a date for my tummy tuck for 4th july which is a bit of a suprise as when i called just 3 weeks ago i was given a date fr 13th august and made all my arrangments for then (childcare etc)
does anyone know how mobile you are after the op? when you can drive? when you can swim?. i have a 5 year old to get to and from school, only a short drive but wondering if i will need to make arrangements t have her dropped of for a week or two. ive had a cesarian section is it similar in terms of recovery?
any advice would be welcome xx

H i hun i guess its all down to which tuck you are getting. Is it a standard tummy tuck or a fleur de lis? If its a standard you will more then likely be fully mobile after around a week or 2 but if you having the full fleur de lis with muscle tightening it will take much longer. Im pretty sure you are advised not to drive for quite some time too. In regards to swimming you can not get the scar line totally wet for at least 6 weeks so im lead to believe. Same goes for having a bath too. Ive been told even showering is off limits for first 2 weeks too! If i find out any more ill let u know x

Hi there - I'm having a fleur de lis at the end of June. Driving definitely off limits for the first two weeks. After that my consultant said you would have to be able to perform an emergency stop - and everyone's rate of getting to this point is a little different. One thing to remember is that, God forbid, an accident did happen - you would have to prove to the insurance companies that you were in a fit state to drive.

As Toxic Siren says, swimming is a no-no until 6-8 weeks after the op. This was explained to me more from a potential infection point of view. All scars have to be totally healed up with no point weak to any germs getting in.

In terms of showering I have had different advice. I've been told I can shower and wash my hair after two days. This is because the place I am going use dressings which are waterproof and are glued in place. I can't use any shower gels on them but I can shower over them lightly. Same goes for hair washing. I can use shampoo etc and any water which runs down over the dressings is fine.

I guess it depends on your own Consultants preferences and what type of stitches, dressings etc are used. I'd give them a ring or check out at your pre-op to be sure.

Good luck :)

Back