• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie West Midlands - surgery Walsall hopefully!

I'm fine just another couple of pounds off since the initial loss last week I've managed to LSD without too much trouble it's my head more than anything but been out with family today and I just had coffee will let you know how I get on at Walsall when home as wifi not good there xx

Oh myc I know how you feel I was there and I paid privately but due to other complications I didn't get that either so stick at it and you will get there
I never thought I'd get this far but tomorrow is the day
Thanks for all your good wishes see you all on the losers bench x

Hi hun, waste of space! They said i don't meet the criteria (bmi over 50, chronic back pain, polycystic ovaries including hair loss....) so I've paid private and I'm booked in for may 13th at the hospital group xx
That's ridiculous in 2015. I know in 2012 they could set their own criteria but BMI of 50 and above doesn't need co-morbidies anymore apparently - the BMI alone is sufficient under the NICE rules. No wonder your furious. I feel cross vicariously !

It's good to read you've found a way to get yourself where you want to be - hope all goes well on the 13th. Which hospital are you going into?

I feel guilty now getting the surgery on NHS when my BMI is less.

Take care

Last edited:
Debs - forgot to say, I phoned the Manor the other day and told them I have paid private for the band, I was already on the waiting list for my gallbladder to be taken out by Dr Mirza and have been waiting since last September for them to sort it and get me in for surgery and guess what? Been told now that because I'm having the band done privately they will have to take me off the waiting list and when I feel well enough and ready for surgery I will have to ring them back up and get put back on the waiting list but start at the bottom again! xx

Walsall is really not your hospital is it?!
I guess you have to smile or you'd go crazy! (Or in my case crazier!!!)

If it's any solace I will say whilst the NHS are paying for me I am acutely aware that I was referred in early 2012 having prior been sent to weight watchers, then slimmers world and finally the gym!!! So it will be well over 3 years before I get surgery.

In that time my BP has got so high I am on 2 tablets for that. I've lost my job as my back was so bad I was medically retired (I am thankful that I got a medical retirement from work and wasn't just sacked - so I know compared to many I am lucky). and just last week my glucose tolerance test revealed I am peri-diabetic. I wonder if paying and starting earlier would have helped!

Good luck honey x

Last edited:
After reading your story nyc it just makes me realise how fortunate I've been to be able to receive my gastric band on the NHS as I've got a BMI of 54 but have no other problems. Mr Super is also doing my surgery which is expected end of July. I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Hi peeps
It's all done and I won't lie I feel awful but it was only yesterday afternoon I know this is temp and in a few days I'll start to perk up
Surgeons are very pleased and I'm going home this afternoon
I'll keep you informed xxkim

Well done Kim. I am pleased the op went ahead and your discomfort is slowly reducing. Sounds like you were a model patient so that's a brilliant outcome. :)
Hope you've woken today in a good place and you're managing the pain. Another month on liquids now I guess so wishing you a speedy post op recovery and really looking forward to hearing your updates. Well done. Very well done indeed - keep me a space on the loser bench - I so hope it's me also soon! :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm Kim's other half , thought I would post a quick update ..... Kim is doing really well, lots of sleep today and also gentle walks around the house but she looks really great considering what she has been through .
She is keeping her fluids up with squash and has managed a fortimel drink taken over the whole day, and about two teaspoons of sugar free jelly it's all going very well at the moment.

Her journey has been long and difficult, If you search for my posts then you will see that I last posted about three years ago when we tried (and failed) to get this procedure done privately but she is overjoyed that everything seems to have turned out for the best in the end .

Walsall manor has been a bit hit and miss , everything leading up to and including the operation being superb but the wards are complete chaos with the discharge procedure being absolutely chaotic . Anyway, I'm sure she will be posting again in the next few days.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their surgery dates and those who have gone before us I like reading your updates

Regards

Jon x

Slow and steady will do it, I don't know your story but you sound like you know how to look after her, keep up,the good work. :)

Hello everyone, I'm Kim's other half , thought I would post a quick update ..... Kim is doing really well, lots of sleep today and also gentle walks around the house but she looks really great considering what she has been through . She is keeping her fluids up with squash and has managed a fortimel drink taken over the whole day, and about two teaspoons of sugar free jelly it's all going very well at the moment. Her journey has been long and difficult, If you search for my posts then you will see that I last posted about three years ago when we tried (and failed) to get this procedure done privately but she is overjoyed that everything seems to have turned out for the best in the end . Walsall manor has been a bit hit and miss , everything leading up to and including the operation being superb but the wards are complete chaos with the discharge procedure being absolutely chaotic . Anyway, I'm sure she will be posting again in the next few days. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their surgery dates and those who have gone before us I like reading your updates Regards Jon x

Hi Jon

Thanks for taking the time to update on how Kim has been today. Good to know things are getting easier. I am a bit worried to read about Walsall as I am expecting to be admitted myself soon - though just now it seems their reassurance it would be in April was more aspirational than real!!!! Please give her my best wishes.

Debs x

Morning
I am feeling a lot better today actually just had a shower hurrah. I have also managed a coffee albeit very small.
Walsall manor was as Jon said a little chaotic I think I was the only bariatric patient on the ward which was difficult for me as no one to talk to really, some of the staff understood and some didn't, I was woken up twice to ask what I wanted to eat !
Still I suppose they get into the rhythm with the oldies keep asking them.
The surgery team were fab and the ward was very clean, I was different as my op was pm due to an audit in the theatres so I suppose that's why there was only me.
There was a mixture of patients on the ward and some needed a lot of care so it took longer to get things, I needed a drink and had to wait a very long time for a plastic glass, then the discharge procedure was abysmal, too much too and fro ing with the drugs, they were given to me by a pharmacist then taken away to be checked by another pharmacist 8 hours later didn't understand that at all either keep them locked away or give just before you leave !
Still having said that I'm fine the gas pain is subsiding I'm starting to take the liquids the dressings come off tomorrow and I've lost 4lbs since Wednesday. So not all bad lol.xxkim

Hi Kim's are you taking peppermint oil not tea just the oil in hot water it's great for the gas pain And later on for tummy wind/ pains

Hi mouse57 I will have to get some of that from the shops on Monday im managing and it's easing thanks x

Back